PDA

View Full Version : Underclocking for stability?!

300rman
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
well, lately, my laptop has been more unstable under periods of high-cpu loading.

tried playing doom3 for the first time in about a year, and it would not get past the initial intro without freezing due to too much heat.

its not that the system needs un-dusted, system optomization and virus scanning, i have already tried that.

so began my search to make the computer run cooler, and my inital thought was a fanspeed manipulator, but none of those worked.

ran into underclocking and mainly Undervolting.

the system runs a max of x12 at 1.550 volts of all multipliers (runs cool n quiet, which only ramps up the multiplier as ore CPU is needed), and now i have it running at x11 at 1.350 volts ALL THE TIME instead of the performance as needed system it had been running.
after much trial and error to get something stable, i settled on these settings. the fans dont ever go past RPM level 2 (out of three) even under max system load. it runs about 15C cooler than before.

disadvantage is that with the processor ramped up all the time, battery life suffers, and when the computer is idle, the CPU runs a bit warmer.

now, why, after the laptop started aging (its at least 5 years old) did it start to run too hot at max cpu load and overheat?

Custom200
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Wow..That stuff is totaly over my head for me to fix. I can look at 3wheelerworld and classifieds on my computer. Than all i know how to do. Never really got into this stuff.

ChrisD
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
You air cooled guys just don't get it.....:lol: Even my computer is liquid cooled....really.

300rman
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
You air cooled guys just don't get it.....:lol: Even my computer is liquid cooled....really.

dont have much of a choice with a laptop :/

Kilborg
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm by no means a total tech junky, but I know a bit about the subject. I ran a old amd 700 for years and overclocked the hell out of it...was running something around 860mhz on a old slot1 440bx board if i remember right. As time went on I encountered more and more issues...mostly heat related. I backed off the clock speed slowly and eventually ended up somewhere around 680 so that it would run stable.

Dont quote me, but I believe the excess "abuse" may very well just break down the chipset as a whole. Kinda like pounding the hell outta a motor for a few years. It will take it for so long, and if it doesnt simply explode it will slowly lose performance and stability/reliability.

Someone else will probably have some whiz bang answer that will prove me wrong...lets see it.

The Goat
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
because your fans...just like a 20 year old oil pump in one of these bikes...is no longer running at peak capacity.

I fried my first amd laptop by running it for 36+ ours at 100%. ripping movies and playing DOD.

I even had it in the fridge for 12 hours, nothing could keep it cool when it runs hard.

You can get a temperature so high as to melt your sauter on the chipset...but thats a different story.

Erics350x
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
have you repasted the heat sink lately?