PDA

View Full Version : Any iPhone/iPod Touch addicts out there?

TravEX
12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
The apps just keep on coming!

This week i found the 2 best game apps i like. Yahtzee Adventure and Tap Defense. Tap Defense is really cool, all strategy and luck.

There is a first person shooter app out, Cube. It's ok, but they are still developing it.

Best of all, most of em are free.

I've got both the iPhone and the iPod Touch, so when I run one down, I switch to the other, hehe.

honda250sx
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Just bought a touch. Love it! What case are you using for your apple products. I have a switcheasy case. By far the best one out there. Screen protectors from griffin of course.

I love the apps!

Motochaser is a favorite game of mine.

Got all the winter xgames as well.

TravEX
12-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I've got a Jam Jacket, but don't use it on either one.

Motochaser is cool. Cro-mag and Enigmo are cool too. Give Billy Frontier a try, is an old west shooter game. I forgot about the Cannon Game! Hours of fun! My brother wants to buy a Touch just for that game alone! I can't keep him off of it when we see each other, he always says "hey, can I see something on your phone?", goes straight to the Cannon game and nothing else.

I use iheartradio for my radio needs, joost for music videos and tv shows, searchquest for address and phone number lookups and it will do reverse lookups too (all 3 apps are free)

Do you have a Gen 1 or 2 Touch?

honda250sx
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Gen 1 with firmware updates. Don't need speakers. I have a 30 gig ipod for music solely.

My touch is for video, games, apps. Thats it.

TravEX
12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Firmware? Is that the 2.2 software?

Have you tried Dynolicious?! I've clocked my 400EX with it, hehe.

honda250sx
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yup 2.2 software. Dynolicious is on my download list lol.

The Goat
12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
go to www.otterbox.com

by far the most durable case out there.

after I shattered my first iphone, had to do something. most of my posting occurs from that phone.

TravEX
12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks goat, I'll check that out. My iPhone is always on my hip and the touch normally in a leather case with the nintendo ds. I need a good case for both.

I found out a couple monthes ago how water resistant the iPhone is, I dropped it in a sink full of water, shook all the water out and say it by a fan overnight, good as new. I was freaking out!

TravEX
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I have 2 of those cases, I got em on eBay and didn't know they were called otter cases. Yes, they are very good cases.

SeaBass8
12-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I recently bought 2 iphones (one for me and one for wifie) and cancelled the land line.

Great product. Very happy with it. In my opinion these are what all mobile devices should be measured against. I havent really gotten into any of the apps for it yet.

Has anybody bought a dock for there vehicle yet? I gotta get something to put in the truck to connect to my radio.

SeaBass8

TravEX
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I agree 100% about the comparing if other phones, me and my wife have had ours since august.

I have a car charger and a male/male plug that I run to my truck radio to play
the iPod and stuff. The docks would be nice, but I don't want it sitting on a charger all day long.

Man, you gotta check the apps out! There are thousands!!!

TravEX
12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
About the cable to hook it to your truck radio, if you have an auxillary input on the radio, you can get a male/male jacked cable at walmart for $5. It works just fine, just can't play the pocket guitar app through it , hehe

SeaBass8
12-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I do have the aux hook up on my radio. I'll have to check that cable out.

I also wanted something that will hold it up so I can see the GPS as Im driving.

So whats the deal with sitting in the charger? Not good for the battery? I do try to run it down real low and then fully charge it. Thats what the dude at Apple said to do.

TravEX
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
It's just my habit not to leave em on the charger.

I just got a great windshield mounted holder off of eBay, It snaps the iPhone in place very securely. I'll try to find a link and post it when I get home on the pc. It doesn't fit the touch too well but I have it laying in there. I do home health physical therapy, and I leave the touch connected to my radio playing all day. The touch has a great battery life.

honda250sx
12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Damn you for getting me addicted to tap defense!!!!!

TravEX
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
oh yeah, it's great. The upgraded magic towers really inflict the damage. I like the medium levels path the best. I always get to about the 30th level and the lose. I always trade in my halos for higher interest rates. The only 1 halo towers I buy are ice and magic. The earthquake tower is a waste.

TravEX
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
seabass here's a link to the car mount holder. Hope it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250316017638

honda250sx
12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Griffin makes a really nice mount. I have it for the 1st gen touch. It works with 1st gen phone and 3g phone.

TravEX
12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I'll check that out, thanks.

TravEX
12-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I just heard on tv that apple is gonna release a 4GB iPhone for Christmas for $99 at walmart.

The Goat
12-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Quickpwn it, I just did and it opens up a whole new world

TravEX
12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
What do you mean?

code200k
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
goat mean to jailbreak that beeacth!! i did it for my bro it takes like 10 mins and you can get sooo many apps

TravEX
12-08-2008, 10:36 PM
What do you mean "jailbreak", I've heard that term in the app reviews, something about jailbroke phones not working with some of the apps, but I don't know what that means. If it's doing something to pirate the apps, I would much rather, and have the $ to, do it the right way.

The Goat
12-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Not pirating. Search for quickpwn it is not jailbreaking (unlocking to use on another network) it just gives you the ability to put thousands more apps, create ring tones, play nintendo, download YouTube vids, and play any sort of video.

Also custom themes and such

TravEX
12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Is pwnage 2.0 what you're running? I'm studying on it.

TravEX
12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
We're iced in today, so Igot time to tinker with it. I've got Winpwn 2.5 downloaded now, and I'm waiting on the restore files to download. I'm gonna try it on my iTouch first, just in case something screws up.

The Goat
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
She runs like a peach

TravEX
12-16-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm still workng on it! Everything that could go wrong, has. Currently I have the touch wiped and winpwn2.5 has crashed twice with me when installing the new firmware. I gotta go get a smoke break and hit the ice on the 185!

TravEX
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I give up. I can't get the winpwn on there. I got it on the iPod, but when iTunes connected, the only 2 options I had were add all the stuff from my last backup or use as a new iPod, I tried both ways, and neither would work. Got an error 1604 one way and apple OS on the way.

The first time the iPod/iPhone is turned on, how different will the home page look? How do you access all the new apps and programs and make changes to em?

I used http://ipodtouched.net/index.php?page_id=102 for the downloads.

I used this video to install it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMr9oUom5o

Where did I go wrong?

ScottZJ
12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Well I got my Iphone 3g about a month ago and I have to say, that I love it. I went from the Palm Treo to this and picked it due to the touch ability. I have never cared for all the bling bling the phones have, but now I must swallow my words! In fact I liked it so much, I have bought another 2g 8gig to use at my Ipod player and a back up phone. currently have around 1800 songs on them and blast them.

I bought one of those kits off egay that have the small speakers and tons of other covers and cases. I opted for the hard case that incloses the entire phone, I figured it would keep it safest and I even put another screen saver underneath. THe 2g phone has the rubber cover and screen saver so it wil still fit in the speaker system.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B78F9C831-089D-41E9-8974-30DC311E862A%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BDBF9B31A-D4AD-4229-834A-EC1F8C14CDC3%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B59CFD3B2-3C72-4558-BBED-43C38A225609%7D/picture.JPG

TravEX
12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah Scott, i never thought that I would be attached to a phone like the iPhone. I can't put it down! Most of my 3WW surfing is on the phone or the touch now. This is the best phone I've ever got my wife, she always bitches about every phone in the past, no complaints from her about the iPhone yet.

With the hard case, do you just keep in a pocket? Now that winter is here, I pocket mine alot, but I like my hip holster the best.

ScottZJ
12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I actually have a hip pouch that fits the Palm Treo (its pretty fat). I had a hip case but it wouldnt fit with the plastic case on it. But the Treo one fit perfect and not too tight. So if you like it on your hip, then get the holster that fits a Treo 750 or something and it would work.

The one on the left is the one for the Treo (bigger) and the other one is the Iphone one.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B898FD2C6-2F07-4669-A531-CCA15EC7F14A%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B755145FD-6971-43D4-A3EA-CA7ADD954AAC%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B7A5EC869-7C57-41CC-A124-0E2D67EB2291%7D/picture.JPG

The Goat
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Search for quickpwn, you don't need to back up anything, there will be two new icons on your phone, cydia and Installed. Cydia is an app store...only nearly everything is free third party stuff. I would suggest

Winterboard
Mewseek
Snapture
Mxtube
Wildeyes

Hell I can't even remember a few of them.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok, so it can never be connected to iTunes after winpwn is installed? That must have been where I messed up.

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
How would you load songs onto the Iphone if you are unable to connect to the Itunes? Forgive me for my ignorance as I am new to these suckers too.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I guess cydia has it's own, I dunno. But, each time I had the winpwn loaded on my touch, I had to connect it to iTunes to get the thing to turn on, and that was when I had 2 choices and both wiped it and went back to the apple OS. I'm fine just leaving my touch and iPhone with the apple OS, it does more than I need as it is, hehe

The Goat
12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
You're doing it wrong. You're doing to much. You are unlocking the phone to be used on ofer networks. Which is why itunes is resetting your phone. If done right, the only difference you will note is the two icons that I mentioned and a pineapple as opposed to an apple on startup. iTunes will still work fine. Lemme go back and look and I'll write a step by step guide.

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Even with ITunes, you can create your own ring tone with any music or sounds you have. Follow directions.....

1) Select the part of the song u want by going into get info>options... and change the times
2) Right click it and make sure u click "Create AAC version" (not MP3)
3) when it creates the version, drag it and place it onto your desktop
4) On your desktop change the m4a to m4r... and make sure replacing the m4a format... (not keep ..m4a.. you want USE .m4r)
5) DELETE THE AAC FILE THAT WAS CREATED IN YOUR LIBRARY!
6) As you will already have noticed on your dekstop the file says "ring" instead of Mpeg4... which is good
7) drag it into your library and it AUTOMATICALLY places it in the ringtones section.
8) don't forget to go back to the originall file and change the times back to start from 0:00 and end

TravEX
12-17-2008, 02:41 PM
I followed the step by step guide on that youtube video I linked. I did do it wrong, no doubt. I'm still interested, and I bet Scott is to, hehe, (admit it) j/k.

Goat, don't go to alot of trouble for me. The screen shots I found on another site if the winterboard and stuff like that was stupid cool!

I have winpwn 2.5 and the firmware's for the touch and iPhone already on my desktop, so I am almost there, just need some pointers.

My wifi is in and out today cause of the ice, so I'll be in and out.

Goat, when on iTunes after the winpwn install. To click 'restore' on iTunes to load my custom firmware, do I hold down 'shift' and click on 'restore'. On that video he was unclear about that part.

Scott, if we lived closer, we could do this together, hehe. That would be cool, jailbreak 3 iPhones and a Touch, hehe. How much did that hard case for the 3G set you back? Where?

Thanks again Goat,

Travis

TravEX
12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Scott, thanks for the ringtone tip, I'll try it out. How do you change it to the m4r format? Change the description to save it as?

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Well the hard case I have covers the front too with a screen protector and touch sensitive. So they are around 16$ or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iPHONE-2-3G-FULL-BODY-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-COVER-CASE_W0QQitemZ260333386440QQihZ016QQcategoryZ20336 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Scott, thanks for the ringtone tip, I'll try it out. How do you change it to the m4r format? Change the description to save it as?

Yeah just save it to the computer somewhere. Then go view the file and change the extension to that format. You will need to be able to view file extensions from your computer, change that in IE.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok

You get any ice there? We've been iced in since Monday afternoon. I coulda used skates to feed the horses and dogs this morning! We're are about to venture out and see how bad it is, gotta pick up some stuff we ordered in Jonesboro before Lowe's sends it back.

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Nope didnt get anything here at all here. Got some wetness that night but nothing froze.

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I just installed it on my 3g and worked like a champ. This dorky dude did a good job explaining it. I couldnt get the 2g changed as it wouldnt sync up since the Itunes was syncd with my 3g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2BxOfNmX4

TravEX
12-17-2008, 07:55 PM
How do you like it?

ScottZJ
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM
It rocks! Loading tons and tons of stuff. The only down fall is when you sync it doesnt load the things you loaded to back up. So if you rebooted your phone back and loaded your stuff back, these apps and stuff wont be there.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm trying to do my Touch right now. That video helped Scott. Good luck with the 2G.

The Goat
12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
welcome to the dark side gentlemen...have a glorious time.

on the iphone, once it's done right, itunes doesn't even know you have it.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Scott, was the version on quickpwn you installed just exactly like the one in the video you linked? I used that video, and the link to the downloads. The download I got does not match the one in the video. It hangs up for a long time on the ready to pwn page on the ''wait for your ipod to connect in recovery mode', does that step take a long time? This is my 4th time to try it, I may be too tarded to do it! ARGGGGGGGGGGG

The Goat
12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
times can vary...mine took like 18 minutes the first time...and only 15 seconds after the 2.2 update

TravEX
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Ok, thanks, I think it's just taking a while.

In the meanwhile I've been watching some youtube videos from 'TheiPhoneExpert', pretty cool stuff!

The Goat
12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
never try to change out your screen on your own...lol

unless you want to do a full lcd replacement.

TravEX
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Damn! Did you try it? That explains your investing in the good covers.

The Goat
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
oh yeah....shattered my first phone, fell out of my pocket onto old gravel filled concrete

bout a new lense...broke that...

superglued the whole thing back together, polished it up nice, and brought it back to apple.

told them I worked in an extremely low temp wearhouse, and the temp change from -40 to 100 cracked it

ScottZJ
12-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Well the 2 g phone I have, has a small hair line crack across the top but it doesnt effect it at all. The guy I got it from owed me some money for fixing computers and didnt have the cash. So he gave me the phone instead. So I am using it as an Ipod and use my new 3g as my phone. I thought about changing it out but watched the video online and decided other wise. I could probably do it, as I have done tons of laptops but I just figured why mess with it as long as it still works.

TravEX
12-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Scott, when you get a chance, can you link me the exact download you used? This one that I havce is not gonna work, I tried it 5 times.

ScottZJ
12-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Well I went to http://www.quickpwn.com/ and downloaded the 2.2 version for my 3g Iphone. Its at the top in the middle box. Just click on that sucker and go to town. Then follow the video directions and there you have it. Mind you, the vid will be just a tad faster, so you might have to slow it down some.

QuickPWN 2.2 Jailbreak download (Windows)! - Nov 22, 2008

TravEX
12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Holy cow, I'm an idiot. I just tried it again, and in 3 minutes it loaded and is working great!

I think that after all that crap last night, the reason it wouldn't work could be because I needed to restart my PC, I had some firmware crap on there from the winpwn site.

Cool!

TravEX
12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I've been trying to get the NES game downloads on my Touch, but Installer has been updated since the last youtube videos I found that showed ya how. Goat, what's the process for downloads the N64 games?

The Goat
12-21-2008, 03:02 AM
download wild eyes from cydia. Then just download and drop the games in the proper folder from your comp.

ScottZJ
12-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I think I need to read how to use all the apps I downloaded, as I have 7 pages HAHA. I freaked out when I couldnt find my music on my 2g but I messed with the TuneSwap program and it changed the Ipod feature LOL. :crazy:
Travis, did you ever get yours going?

TravEX
12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Not my iPhone. I'll try it again over Christmas break.

Love it on the touch, the numerical battery, quake, doom, font change, drop down menus for volume and stuff, dtunes, tap to unlock.

The Goat
12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
One warning.... Too much winterboard and you will notice a decrease in speed.

ScottZJ
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
How much can you do with it? Right now I have a few things changed like my wallpaper and icons but thats about it.

TravEX
12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I hooked on Papijump and Fieldrunners now! In Fieldrunners, they have to guys attack that are riding 3 wheelers, look like little Zinger 60's!!!!!! That's the best $4.99 app I've bought.

Shawn72
12-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Bought my son one for Xmas, but he can't use it until he gets one of his grades up. I almost had to put him on suicide watch.

TravEX
02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow! I just now got mine to jailbreak. Me and a buddy got together last night and it took a couple hours. Ultimately, I believe I had an app that was in the way after the jailbreak during the reboot. We jailbroke and it would not reboot, as usual, we restored it with iTunes but did not sync it, then jailbroke it again and it took, FINALLY! I know I bugged the crap outta Scott about this, but something was wrong with my phone all along. If I jailbreak any more, I will wipe all the apps off then try it. Most of the people that I know that jailbroke their's so quickly, had just gotten the phones, so not much was on them.

Glad to finally get it done.

New apps to try out, the Brother In Arms game is really cool. Jellycar, Midomi, Craigslist, and Repairpal are must haves.

TravEX
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
The new iPhone 3.0 OS comes out in a couple monthes, sounds exciting. MMS, copy/paste, landscape everything, turn-by-turn directions, etc. The video podcast is on apple's website, the keynote address on 3-17-09.

Do y'all think that they will come out with a new iPhone this year, or just the new OS?

The Goat
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
new iphone is coming out too

sad part is...3.0 is update merely puts the stock phone up to the level of jailbroken one... so annoying.

TravEX
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, I've got an upgrade on a line I rarely use that is ready when the new iPhone comes out, I'll stand in line to get it if I have too.

You think it will still be a candy bar style? or something new? Could they make a flip that is like a clam shell and both sides of the LCD screen butt up to each other when opened? That would be cool.

I have a guy that wants to trade his iPhone 3G to me for my Touch, but I can't ever catch him at home to do the trade. Then, I would have a spare to the 2 that I already have, or could sell it.

The Goat
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
something fishy about him wanting to trade for a touch... the iphone 3g is just an upgraded touch....

it's apple...it won't be anything innovative. they may lighten it up some...and make it more brittle...that's about it.

TravEX
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
He just didn't like the iPhone, he works construction and I think that the size and weight got to him.

The Goat
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
lol...I love those people who feel like an extra ounce in their pocket is a bucket of lead.

TopFin
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
This is my first post from itouch. What do I need on here to get into chat with it?

The Goat
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
I think you can download the IRC app and then load this server...maybe.... idk. never got around to doing it.

download the handgun podcast if you're into that...a lot of cool stuff each week.

Chopper_Kingpin
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Just bought this myself. I'd like to get into chat with it as well.