PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250R Exhasut

jmack3986
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
So i finally got to take out my R and run it on a track. It impressed me at how well it handled and how fast it was. I ran inot a problem with my exhaust at the end of the night and i was told by the guy i was buiying it from that the exhaust would eventually need replaced. Well it grenaded and ended up breaking. I would like to here some opinions on the following exhaust. I ave looked up power curves and dyno charts on the exhaust and found that LRD Exhaust are not that powerful compared to others and tat their power curve is about the same as stock. I'm looking at buying the following.

FMF Fatty
LRD team B
PT Midrange
CT midrange national

tecat-z
12-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Don't forget about ESR. They make some nice exhaust systems for the trx.

jmack3986
12-04-2008, 07:42 AM
I looked at ESR they are good for tt and dunes im Rinding alot of tracks. I also saw dyno test done on all the above exhaust plus more and the LRD had around the same power stock which was surprising. FMF had a nice curve and great gains

x.system
12-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I've had all those pipes (except the team B) plus the trx5 standard and centermount. On my bike the trx5 worked the best for me with my port work. I know when I switched out the fatty to the standard trx5 I had to jump my jetting from 175 main to a 185 just to get it to breath. The ct was a good pipe for tt but it didn't give alot of low end power. PT used to be the best back in the day but better pipes have come along since then. Back in the 80's the PT was the only pipe to run, we all ran PT motors with PT pipes. Before the 450's came out alot more companies started making pipes for R's. Alot of MX guys were swearing by the sparks tt pipe for mx use, I never got to try this setup but always wanted to. If you ever find one on ebay I would snatch it up just to try it, if you don't like it you can always resell that one and not loose to much on it.

A buddy of mine has the same motor setup as me, mine had the trx5 centermount, he had the lrd setup and my bike would outpull his even when we switched bikes.

I remember the last time I was on the ice I switched out my ct to the trx5 I was using a 190 main for the ct and when I got the trx5 dialed in I was at a 225 main.

I think alot will have to do with your port work and carb setup, my motor was mx ported to match a trx5 pipe. The guy who built my motor has seen the most improvements on his dyno with the trx5.

Mosh
12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
My 86 had that FmF gold series " rev" pipe.

It did "rev" good on the top,but had virtually no low end pull at all....

It wasnt fit for my riding style,trails and MX.....The Fatty was a little better but not much.

I run a PT midrange pipe..It chokes on the top end, really stops revving out, but the low end and mid range, rock now and I am up in 6th gear really fast.It works better if your short shift it in the meat of the midrange...My engine is stock except the pipe and V-force 2's

I also heard the Sparks pipe was the shiznet...I have seen them on Ebay consistently pull over 250 bucks....So if you buy onefor around that and dont like it, I think you would get your money back on a re-sell.

My friend had a LRD adjustable on his 265 R with Trinity porting and a 38 mil carb...
That quad FLEW and had power all around..It really embarrased alot of Banshee's and 450's

jmack3986
12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
well My TRX was fast with the team B so with the port work done to it it should be just as fast with the fatty. I don't have the cash to be putting on a 500 dollar pipe and on the dyno test the sparks had a very strange power curve and i can see why it is top. the fatty is comparable tot he esr (on the dyno) the ct tt was a disapointment on the dyno which is why you noticed a difference when going to the esr

NOS_350X
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Esr makes several diffrent pipes, The trx11 aka "Zepplin" isnt a low end pipe. the trx5 is a low end pipe. The trx7 also pulls good low end power but revs out much better.

I have 2 ct/trinity pipes and the are absoutly crap. they both are hanging on my wall.

SCEADU
12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I went with the FMF SST. It is a couple bucks more than the Fatty but I was told it had better mid . I can't give any comparisons due to the fact that I went from stock to FMF, but I really like the output over stock.

jmack3986
12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

My bike Had port work done to it with the LRD exhaust it ran excellent. I went with the FMf because the power curve was similar to the LRd and the expansion chamber was the same size. If you look at the link it has the dyno test of the exhaust. I'm curious as to if I'm going to have to do major jetting or not. The pipe comes tuesday and I need to get track time in fast to get use to jumping and racing a quad and i don't want to have to spend the week before the race jetting like a mad man. I would like some input.

smokinwrench
12-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I would get on exriders 250R section and ask for some general guide lines to set it at, that will at least get you in the ballpark for jetting. There are a few guys are there that are very knowledgable.

x.system
12-05-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/102901_250r_dyno_run.htm

My bike Had port work done to it with the LRD exhaust it ran excellent. I went with the FMf because the power curve was similar to the LRd and the expansion chamber was the same size. If you look at the link it has the dyno test of the exhaust. I'm curious as to if I'm going to have to do major jetting or not. The pipe comes tuesday and I need to get track time in fast to get use to jumping and racing a quad and i don't want to have to spend the week before the race jetting like a mad man. I would like some input.

I can almost garantee you will be dropping your main jet size for that pipe. I also wouldn't take to much of that article to heart, I figured thats where you were getting your information. If they had done a bit more testing it would have been a great article but for what they did its worthless information. First of all who runs a stock carb? Each pipe should have been jetted in for max performance, running the same jets for all the pipes is crazy, you will have one pipe that reigns above the rest simply because the jetting was a closest match to that pipe. To do a real test of all those pipes should take a couple days with jetting and dyno testing.

I agree with smokinwrench, get on atvriders and ask but give your motor details and what you plan to do with your bike.

Mosh
12-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I dont know what jetting the test bike, would have done for the results, But they way the PT midrange curve looks, Is just how it feels almost on My R.
The torque is right there off idle with stock gearing and , It hits the midrange HARD,and pulls up to about 7000 Rpm,and then starts to drop off.

I dont recall exactly, but with a stock bore, no portwork, V-force 2 system, Open K&N and My PT midrange with stock carb, I run a 48 pilot with a 172 or 175 Main.Needle in the middle.

My 86 TRX will beat My Stockish 85 R with ESR pipe and PJ36 mil carb on it, in drag races. Of Course it easier to launch the quad, so it gets out front early.

I was really fortunate to find My PT midrange.
Another forum member saw I was looking for a low end pipe.
He had that one laying around with broken spring hooks.
He sent it to me Free...
I brazed some new hooks on it, added some paint and away I want.
One of the coolest gestures I will ever remember !

brapp
12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
i ahve a mildly ported motor and a 28 pwk on my r and love the power of the pt (race) headpipe with fat boy 2 silener it is great for all types of ridign and does verry wellin low to mid but has a strong top end pull

jmack3986
12-15-2008, 01:27 AM
Here is the conclusion to this post. I bought a fmf fatty from dennis kirk. They sent me the FMF rev pipe. Power was increased all around from the LRD. I have more low excellent mid and great top end. Personally the LRD exhust is not worth the 575. I have had lots of feed back from other websites. Dyno testing done right and that is what i got from it. One of the better exhaust for the TRX is the ESR 5 FMF sst and PT midrange for motocross. FMF is a better exhaust and does not get teh credit it deserves. I went trail riding the day after i got the FMF and I had all the power i wanted. No huge hit like the LRD which gives off the false sense of power. on a dyno test the Lrd had less power then all its competitors and the power curve was not impressive