PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your state.

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
When I get home for good we want to leave Columbus Georgia badly. Right now we are taking a serious look at the Valdosta area. If we were to stay in Georgia, that is where we will be. However, I would rather leave Georgia altogether. I have seen more of the rest of the world than I have my own country. The problem is we have no idea where to begin. So, I was hoping you all could tell me a bit about the state you live in and help us get started on our hunt for a new home.

This is what we are looking for.

1. We are big outdoor enthusiast. We have off road trucks, ATV’s, and horses. We want to live some where we can enjoy these hobbies and not have some pricks giving us crap over it.
2. I am most likely going to pursue a career in law enforcement when I return. (However, the fire academy is also a possibility.) I am also interested in a security or force protection job on a military base. (That is what I currently do). So if you could tell me about the law enforcement agencies and bases in your area that would be great.
3. NO LIBERALS. I do not want to deal with people telling me I am wrong for running big tires on a big truck. Or bothering us for trail riding in the woods.
4. I own guns and want to enjoy them. I would prefer a state that will recognize my concealed weapon permit or at least allow me to get a new one for that state.
5. Cost of living. I think this goes with out saying.
6. Cost of land and taxes. Just give me a rough idea as to what we would be looking at.
7. We want to live in a small town environment with good schools.

I think that about sums up what we are looking for. Please feel free to tell me all about your area and state.

SYKO
12-04-2008, 08:31 AM
UMMM...... you still described Georgia there bud..... lol especialy south GA

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
You are correct. I should have included that I would like mountains. They are not a deal breaker, but they would be nice. I would also like seasons. Growing up in Florida I was robbed of them.

piroguedog
12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
From what youve listed, id say you should come check out some louisiana. lots of horse people and plenty of off roading of all kinds as well as some good hunting and fishing. we have concealed carry permits and we are strongly conservative with the draw back of having more free loaders which are not necessarily liberal otherwise. there are some very good private schools but not as many good public schools although there are some. IMO the food is better than anywhere in the world. also, IMO even when LSU is losing we have one of the most recognized tailgate atmospheres in college football. i prefer south louisiana being close to baton rouge and new orleans as well as the gulf coast but there is some beautiful country and good white tail hunting in the northern part as well.

SYKO
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
SCREW SEASONS! I meen growning up in chicago snow is fun to play in as a kid, but screw driving and working in it!

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Is it hot year round there?

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 08:39 AM
SCREW SEASONS! I meen growning up in chicago snow is fun to play in as a kid, but screw driving and working in it!

:lol: Yeah, and I wouldn't know.

piroguedog
12-04-2008, 08:40 AM
if i was going to check out any where else id go explore TN.

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 08:47 AM
We have family that live in Tennessee. At one time I think we both wanted to move there. But land is getting out-ragous up there and work is hard to find. Especialy in the fields I want to get in. Cops are paid nothing up there.

I hate to say this, but the south just is not what it use to be. The northerners are moving down and ruining it. They are changing it to suit them.

Erics350x
12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Southern Missouri, Northern Arkansas, Tennessee, Western Kentucky, anywhere in the Heartland sounds like it would be perfect for you.
West Virginia also has some nice country

Dammit!
12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
AZ used to kick ass but it's not what it used to be. Freakin democrat governor is screwing up everything and all the CA transplants need to go home.

SYKO
12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I hate to say this, but the south just is not what it use to be. The northerners are moving down and ruining it. They are changing it to suit them.

are you refering to me? damn! I cant get away from your insulting azz! first im a wetback migrant watermellon pickin SOB now im basicaly that and a damn yankee to boot!? geez... what a great freind....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t:

Billy Golightly
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
While I was in Dallas working I really enjoyed it, it was a area.

okieRrider
12-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Check out Oklahoma. We have everything from mountains in the east to the flat as pancake plains in the west. There are many small towns. The cost of living is cheaper then most, as I have heard. Gas in my town for real, non ethanol gas is $1.50. Plenty of space for horses and what not. Riding areas, we have dunes, wooded trails, mountains. I love it here, check it out.

YAMA-MAMA
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I vote Texas and Oklahoma!!!:w00t:

Mosh
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, Ohio used to be pretty good.
It had all the things you wanted.
We are losing trail riding areas in the north area,but there is still good riding in southern Ohio...

Not many good industry jobs left, but there are some decent law posistions around..

We have all seasons, Wellsville for riding,and Hatfield Mccoy and trikefest are within 4 hours of central Ohio.

Not to mention all the trike racing we have.Tons of MX tracks....

We do have a gun permit to carry concealed.

Where I live, about 1 hour north from Mid Ohio, You can get a newer 2500sq, ft house for about 155k on 3 acres...

Or you can get like 1800sq ft ranch on a few acres for around 130k

My taxes are about 1k a year..

I would suggest you stay south of Rt 30 in Ohio.
It gets pretty mountainy, and it isnt all grown up yet....And that is where most of the good ride spots are.Land is cheaper..About 3-5 grand per acre,even cheaper depending on the land and how much you buy.

But be ready for some pretty good snowfalls...sometimes over a foot.....and It gets COLD sometimes,really cold..Below 0...
Summers are decent every now and then it gets up around 95 or so for a few days, but average would be like 88 during the thick of summer..

I would consider leaving here, But I would go to Utah or Idaho more than likely if I did leave...Maybe Kentucky too.

I am sick of the snow.... but would deal with it in Idaho or Utah

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Alan you are one fo the few transpalants I like. You are not trying to chane the way we do things. Now go pick some fruit.

OK is close to the top of the list. I have recently read some stuff about Ohio that I like as well.

There are just too many choices to consider. We need to start eliminatinf some and go from there.

200x newby
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
my brother just was restationed in valdosta(airforce). he was in hopikinsville kentucky I would check that out. Huge base and the land is wide open down there.

MattR
12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
3-5 grand per acre is a bit steep where I live. Just bought 6 acres for 17,500 and it has well, septic, 2 car garage with workshop in back plus loft, sauna, and a basement that was a fallout shelter. Previous owner had house fire and we bought what the fire did not take. However not many jobs in this area (central WI) and same for riding. Now there are lots more riding options to the north for both atvs and 4x4s. The land is also more up there since it is vacation country. You may see a trend like that no matter what state you look into. The closer you want to be to do recreational things, the more it will cost.

Good Luck on your search.

Matt

P.S. If you decide to move to my area, just ignore me on my little YT125 because I cannot outrun anything except maybe a Murray lawn tractor..lol.

SCRAMCHARGER318
12-04-2008, 01:16 PM

I'VE NEVER HEARD THE MIDWEST DESCRIBED BETTER!!

i live in by grand rapids michigan, it's snowing right now, 25 degrees, and ice everywhere. you were NOT robbed the seasons, you had the priviledge of not experiencing them. you don't even want to experience winter up hear. i can only imagine what its like in minnesota and canada.

SYKO
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
my brother just was restationed in valdosta(airforce). he was in hopikinsville kentucky I would check that out. Huge base and the land is wide open down there.

does he ride? Im only 10 miles from the base, tell him to get ahold of me if he rides!

The Goat
12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Piroguedog has a point.

Schools in our area (right outside of baton rouge) are great. Also, college is free for those with high test scores via our TOPS program.

Cost of living is also low outside of baton rouge. 80k can get you a two bedroom home in a good area easily.

Liberal is a bad word down here.

Excellent outdoor environment, something like 60% of homes own atvs.

Statetroopers make damned good money down here, especially ex military.

Temps range from 10 to 110, the mean is around 80 or so. Very unpredictable weather and wet winters.

Like the rest of the south, fairly friendly.

Check out plaquemine, brusly, port Allen, denham springs and walker. The latter two are slightly hickish. Brusly has the best public schools, while plaquemine is cheaper to live in... And has a decent private school.

Economy is downright booking down here right now, always happens post storms.

Good hunting.

Any questions, shoot.

Have you considered Cobb county Georgia? A bit racist but a good private academy and a fairly high standard of living.

200x newby
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
does he ride? Im only 10 miles from the base, tell him to get ahold of me if he rides!

No. I was about the only one in the family who has an interest in ATV's. I have been planning one making a trip down there come spring.

SYKO
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
well if you come down let me know, if you bring something to ride we got some great spots down here.

TrailerRider
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
California:

Bad:
1. Don't move here.
2. Taxes = Stupid.
3. DMV = Stupid.
4. Riding areas = regulated to the point where it is stupid.
5. Laws = Grrrrrr.
6. Smog = :crazy:
7. People = Rat Race (most, people that is, not all, but most).
8. Drivers = Stay off the road unless you like getting into accidents. Every driver thinks they own the road. Except me as I do own the road :lol:
9. Land = Price is to high for what is being sold. Ex: 3 bdrm 1 bath for $300,000 :crazy:
10. State Governemt = Duma$$es!
11. Jobs = Low rate or people abuse the system.
12. Closed salmon fishing down. :banned:

Good:
1. Met my wife here.
2. Trikes are usually pretty easy to find and usually pretty cheap. Reason see #11 aobve.
3. Ocean, Mountains, Deserts makes for different riding terrians but see #4 above.
4. I have a decent job that pays pretty good.
5. Usually you can go fishing pretty much anywhere anytime.
6. Go hiking pretty much anywhere anytime.

SeaBass8
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
LTZ- Your description of an ideal place to live is definetly not in Massachusetts. Maybe western MA but with high taxes and cost of living.

I'm considering moving south in a few years... More like 10 to 15 years. Count me as one of the people screwing up your nice place down there.

I'm thinking maybe Savannah GA. Anybody ever been there? I think Im gonna do some vacationing there and check it out.

Syko - Im will you on the cold/snow.

The Goat
12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
The souths pop is growing at double the national average, with equal birthrates... There's a reason for it.

People are moving here by the bundle.

DixiePlowboy
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
The souths pop is growing at double the national average, with equal birthrates... There's a reason for it.

People are moving here by the bundle.

Dangit!

BTW, how did you come to the conclusion that Cobb Co., GA is worthy of being noted "a bit racist"? Not arguing for or against your point, just curious.

longbedGTs
12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
My vote is for west Texas(theres a HUGE track just north of Amarillo that can be seen from the interstate) or somewhere in middle coutry. New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, or maybe Nebraska. I absolutely LOVE traveling through those states! Although, they can get insanely cold and have Tornadoes. :(
If I move from GA, itll be to one of the above.

RoscoW
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Here's a cool site for checking out different city's and towns.

http://www.city-data.com/

Ross..

grundlegrabber
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I live in Southeastern PA (45 min North of Philly). Around here it has become pretty built up and densely populated. Can't do much around here anymore. We ride up in the coal regions (Hazleton, Tamaqua, Shamokin). Still lots of riding land up there, but much of it is very rough and rocky. Slowly but surely riding land is being lost to development up there, but there always seems to be someplace else to go. We do have all four seasons here, and not much extreme weather (hurricanes, tornados, and huge blizzards are not a factor). Summer temps are usually between 80 and 95 deg., winter 20-40 deg. Climate-wise it's a great place to live. I have a concealed weapon permit, it was not too difficult to obtain. The north central region of the state is still sparsely populated. There are state forest lands and hunting grounds all over up there, but not much else (probably tough to make a living up there, that's why everything is so cheap). I have a 1700 sq ft cape cod style home on 3/4 acre, it's worth about 270K (maybe a bit less right now!). My taxes are about $3K or so per year. As you get into the more sparsely populated areas away from the city home prices go down. North and central PA has lots of mountains. State College area is very nice, probably pretty close to what you're looking for. West Chester (SW of Philly) is a huge horse region, dotted with multi-million dollar farms that produce fine horses (ex-girlfriend of mine used to live/work on a horse farm down there). I've been in to northern West Virginia a few times. TONS of riding down there and everybody has guns. Fireworks are legal and you can pretty much do anything you want (or so it seems). A bit like Indiana. Thx again for transporting my beer on your quad at TF 05.:beer

Yamahondaman
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Just like before i have Stated ... i DON'T like to read LOT'S of stuff .. i kinda just Breeze thru thing's ..
Here's the Deal .. "Nothing Negative about where People Live" ... BUT ......
I Have Lived in the FLAT,OLD,DEAD,BOREING,CROWDED,LOW PAY'D State of Florida All my life ... and i am HAPPY to say that i can VISIT all of the rest of the U.S.A. Knowing that i can come back here to the BEST Place on EARTH !!
it seem's that as soon as i leave the Tampa Bay Area the Radio Station's go away,NO radio Tower's,NO People,No Building's,NO Nice Road's,NO "Normall" People, NO Power Lines,NO BEER ON SUNDAY,NO PERFECT Weather,NO Sunshine,NO Bikini's,NO Normall Store's,MEAN COP'S,Rusted OLD Sign's,NO REAL Motel's,NO GREEN Landscape,CLOUDY,DULL,PLAIN,OLD,NASTY,DUHHHHH North !
I WILL NEVER LEAVE FLORIDA ..........

oldtime3wheeler
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Grundlegrabber, where in Southeastern Pa are you located? Are you in the Allentown area?

firehart
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Have you ever been to Idaho? Southwestern Idaho where I live has four seasons. We have both mountains and desert close by. The coldest it gets is around zero and the hotest is around 90. Its very dry with little humidity. Not to many greenies here yet. I have hundreds of miles of BLM trails only about 15 miles from my door. Come check us out when you get home.

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Damn, I cannot keep up with the responses.

Florida, I grew up that and loved as a kid but hate it now. It is growing too damned fast.

I lke PA, I use to visit there. But I have heard too many thing I do no tlike aou it now.

Isn't Mass an anti gun state?

LA sounds nice, but living on the coast gets too hot. I had anough of that in Florida.

I have to go back through and re-read some things. I had questions but forgot now.

LonesomeTriZ
12-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I cannot believe I forgot this on my list.

I want to live in a biker friendly state as well. I have a cruiser and I will have and R1 by the time I get home. I would prefer a state that does not have a helmet law.

firehart
12-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Idaho only has a helmet law for minors.

okieRrider
12-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Oklahoma is a biker friendly state, there is no helmet law here. We have Tinker Air Force Base in Midwest City which is a suburb of OKC, there is Ft. Sill in Lawton, OK which is a couple hours south of OKC, and Vance Air Force Base in Enid which is about an hour north of OKC. Forgot to put that on the other post.

Daddio
12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
I lived in Rio Rancho, New Mexico for 17 years. It sounds to me like this would be a place you would enjoy. Check out Belen, Los Lunas or Bosque Farms. They are all south of Albuquerque but close enough that you won't have to drive to far to get to Kirtland AFB to work security. It is a big Weapons base and Big on security. Rio Rancho is good too. It is NW of Albq.There are some awesome mountains along the east side of town. They have four seasons. If I remember right they average around 300 mostly sunny days a year. No helmet law when I left. Lots of great riding areas near if not in town. Desert type riding. Rio Rancho had some of the better schools. Check it out! You'll like what you find.
I'm thinking of moving back in the near future.

grundlegrabber
12-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm about 1/2 hr south of Allentown. No helmet law in PA (Rendell abolished it) and there are lots of good roads to ride here, but too many cars/too much traffic in my area. Can't go out on my CBR600RR without getting stuck behind all the slow cars...

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 01:37 AM
You all are making this a tough choice.

300rman
12-05-2008, 01:41 AM
well, michigan is FULL of off-roading. the U.P. is more for snowmobiles and 4x4 trucks, and the rose city/ogemaw area is more for dirtbikes/quads.
fair amount of hills, some quite large. but it isnt mountainous,

i have heard west virginia has awesome riding, very hilly, and rocky and mountainy.

also heard out west has awesome riding, especially in parts of colorado. my buddy/ex MX racer has been out there, and the pics are sweeet.

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I have heard good things about the UP in michigan.

I would like to hear more about Silver lake.

threewheelin-feelin
12-05-2008, 04:05 AM
if you are looking for seasons virginia tennesee and north carlino you will see all four...you also have moutains in all 3...as for lifted trucks it really depends on what part of each state your in...the redneck parts on the city folk lol

Tri-ZNate
12-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Canadiashens

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 04:42 AM
If the cost of land would drop and the cops were paid better, I would already be in Tennessee.

The frozen north does look interesting.

Nick_R_23
12-05-2008, 04:56 AM
This is what we are looking for.

1. We are big outdoor enthusiast. We have off road trucks, ATV’s, and horses. We want to live some where we can enjoy these hobbies and not have some pricks giving us crap over it.
2. I am most likely going to pursue a career in law enforcement when I return. (However, the fire academy is also a possibility.) I am also interested in a security or force protection job on a military base. (That is what I currently do). So if you could tell me about the law enforcement agencies and bases in your area that would be great.
3. NO LIBERALS. I do not want to deal with people telling me I am wrong for running big tires on a big truck. Or bothering us for trail riding in the woods.
4. I own guns and want to enjoy them. I would prefer a state that will recognize my concealed weapon permit or at least allow me to get a new one for that state.
5. Cost of living. I think this goes with out saying.
6. Cost of land and taxes. Just give me a rough idea as to what we would be looking at.
7. We want to live in a small town environment with good schools.

You just described Alaska almost perfectly.

1. Almost every other person here has an offroad truck, nearly everybody has some sort of ATV and/or snowmachine, and I know quite a few people who own horses out here.

2. Definately law enforcement needed up here, theres hardly any cops until you get to the city, and even then there arent many. There are also several military bases around. A lot of my friends have joined the fire department, they get paid training and everything.

3. VERY few of these up here. Most anywhere you look is a trail. Only time people will really give you crap is when youre riding through their property.

4. Also like ATVs, most people own several guns. Not sure what the laws are on the concealed carry permit since Im not old enough to buy a gun anyway.

5. Prices are generally a bit higher then the lower 48 due to stuff being shipped up here, but the PFD check can help make up for it!!

6. Not sure on this one since I dont own any property. There is some sales tax in a few areas (2%), but a lot of places dont have sales tax.

7. Best bet would be some where in the Valley, anywhere in the Willow/Houston/Big Lake/Meadow Lakes/Wasilla area are pretty small towns, they have tons of trails and riding area around. Most schools around here are pretty good.

Plus we could use a few more Tri-Z's up here!!! :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 05:04 AM
If I could get Melissa to open her mind a bit, we would go to Alaska. But the cold scares her. What is the PFD? Are there any parts that are warmer that others? I heard the southern coast stays pretty warm.

Nick_R_23
12-05-2008, 05:27 AM
PFD is the permanent fund dividend, basicly some of the revenue from oil gets divided up among residents every year. It averages about 1200$, but I think this last one was closer to 2k. You have to live here for a few years before you can start getting it though.

Most of the southern part stays fairly warm. In the middle of winter it can hit -30's for a week or 2, but mostly stays around -20's in this area. The summers up here are great, nice and warm. Honestly though, the cold isnt as bad or extreme as most people make it out to be. Pretty much anywhere it snows and gets cold in the winter is the same as the next place.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 05:33 AM
If only I could get Melissa to understand that.

Yeah you. You better be reading this.

Do you have some names of law encorement agencies? State or local in the southern region. I will look them up on line. What about security on the pipe line? WHo handles that?

firehart
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Its too bad you couldn't just take a couple of months and just visit the country. I'd love to do that.

LonesomeTriZ
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I plan to do that when I return for good. But, I cannot hit every state.

Erics350x
12-05-2008, 02:58 PM
You should realy look into Missouri abit closer.

The Goat
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Come to Louisiana during the spring/summer months, I'll whip up some crawdads and some brew, on the house. Plus as long as it isn't turkey season there is plenty of roads to ride.

Great food if you just wanna head through new Orleans.

LonesomeTriZ
12-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Can you tell me a bit more about Missouri?

LA is a state on our list to visit when I return home. So you will have your chance then to sell up on it.

If any of you have a realiable scource I can get property costs from please let me know. In the end, locating the peice of property we want will be the determining factor.

Erics350x
12-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Most of S.E Missouri is farm country, land is very cheap. Heck i bought my house there for $22,000. Things are just more simple and slower paced there. It's hard to describe, but you can find great small towns out side of the bigger cities that are dirt cheap to live in and still commute to the city for better pay. Or you could get into the local P.D. or even better the Drug Task Force. Personally i like the Wappapello Lake area. Which is beautifull country and close to Poplar Bluff which is a small city that offers most anything you'd want. It's also only about 3hrs from Memphis, St. louis, and Spring Field

LonesomeTriZ
12-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Is the Drug Task Force a state agency or something every agency has?

atc vending guy
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
lonesome,my neighbors land is for sale right now,3bedroom ranch,1 bath 2 car garage,also seperate 1 car garage,2-2stall run-ins and 41 acres of land.159,900.plenty of riding and livestock around here.taxes for his property are 5128 a year.it doesnt get any colder around here than anywhere else.besides thats why you get a wood stove.white mnts north,no desert,lots of woods and state parks though.we also have a huge group of riders on the site and off.pay generally follows cost of living from state to state anyways.no helmet laws,yes on the gun permit and horses.if the wife wont go to alaska,this or maine is the next best thing.

LonesomeTriZ
12-07-2008, 11:15 AM
$159,900 for 41 acres? Are you sure? Do you have the listing?

wheelie king
12-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Is the Drug Task Force a state agency or something every agency has?

Depends. Not all agencies are eligible or participate, and it is all about cooperation between agencies on local, state, and fed level. There are drug task force (DTF) with local Sheriff's Depts., which band certain members from different sheriff's depts/PDs together for one area/region, OR there are DEA Task Force agents, which are actually PD or Sheriff's Officers, that keep their current Sheriff/PD credentials, and then also become a sworn Federal Task force agent. Basically, the feds get a free cop, and the locals get to take bigger cases to a fed level cause they have an agent "in house".

Pretty hard on family life working dope. Trust me.:rolleyes:
But then again, you could prolly teach me something about careers being hard on the family.......

smokinwrench
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Holy cow those taxes are outragious. That is over twice as high as our taxes and our house is worth a little more then that also.

LonesomeTriZ
12-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I use to realy hunger for the high stress enviroment that the drug cops work in. Now, not so much. But, is I actually get into law enforcement I may change my mind, again. I am still kicking around a fed job. If I go that far, I may not have a choice where we live.

LonesomeTriZ
12-10-2008, 03:57 AM
These are the sates that seem to be standing out right now. This is not in order of preference. These are the ones that I think I have narrowed it down to. One question that I have that may end up being a deal breaker has to do with the trail systems. I want to live in a state that has a real nice back country trial system. I want to be able to spend several days or a week exploring them and not pass through the same area twice. I would like to be able to do this on an ATV, in a truck, and on horse back. So, here is the first list draft.

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Idaho
4. Utah
5. South Dakota
6. North Dakota
7. Montana
8. Oklahoma
9. Kentucky
10. Texas
11. Colorado
12. Kansas
13. Alaska is honorable mention because I am still trying to talk my wife into it.

Now, I know you all have provided great information. But now I ask to get more detailed as we are trying to narrow down out options. The trail system, cost of land, and employment are going to be deterring factors.

SYKO
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
lmfao..........

ya know what?

you still described ga

north GA has insane amounts of riding trials through the mountains and other stuff

face it.. your stuck like chuck!

plus whoz gunna work on ya stuff all the time? you may never find a cool as me mexican somewhere else!

LonesomeTriZ
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I might locate on in Texas. I here there are a few out that way.

I did not know there was a trail system in north GA.

SYKO
12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
ive been told there are thousands of un marked trails through the GA mountains, ive always wanted to go up there, but I dont know any one that way, except maybe dustin87R you could pm him and ask him.

LonesomeTriZ
12-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Well when I get home exploring we will go.

Yamahondaman
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
lmfao..........
plus whoz gunna work on ya stuff all the time? you may never find a cool as me mexican somewhere else!

PLUS do ALL the cooking while flipp'n the burgers and sausages with a SUGAR CANE KNIFE !! :beer

SYKO
12-10-2008, 11:15 AM
PLUS do ALL the cooking while flipp'n the burgers and sausages with a SUGAR CANE KNIFE !! :beer

RIGHT!! I got ghetto on LOCK! aint got nothing to camp and cook with? if im around everything will be good! lmfao!! I make things WORK! :p

need wood for the fire? I'll go wrestle some trees out of the woods for it....and when I mean trees... I MEAN TREES! (ask fla2stroke and chevy57harley79) LMFAO!:crazy:

remember your warrior? who would have thought a garden hose would hold the front end together?!:eek:

LonesomeTriZ
12-11-2008, 06:51 AM
I think I still have those hose.

Well if land in south GA does not get cheaper soon, we may have to hang up the idea of movinh there all together. Remember that 40 acre spread we looked at for $700,000? I found something very similar in another state for $125,000. GA is just too damned high.

Dustin87R
12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
There's several locations in north GA that has alot of the amenities that your looking for, Suches, Dahlonega, Clayton, Blairsville, and Hiawasse all have ohv trails, large tracts of land, decent school systems and law enforcement jobs.

LonesomeTriZ
12-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I never even thought about North GA. But I would imagine the land there is even higher that it is in the south.

kokmatt
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
U need to check out the black hills of south dakota. has good gun law only helmet law is for minors takes 10 days to get a concealed weapons license. lots of atv/snowmobile trails some of the best bird and deer hunting in the us. and land is still relatively cheap compared to other states.

Erics350x
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM
If i had to chose from those it would be Kentucky. Cheap land and beautiful country.

edog
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
New Hampshire Almanac > A Brief History of New Hampshire
Did you know New Hampshire was first named North Virignia, and it was once under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts? Read about the history of New Hampshire!

Early historians record that in 1623, under the authority of an English land-grant, Captain John Mason, in conjunction with several others, sent David Thomson, a Scotsman, and Edward and Thomas Hilton, fish-merchants of London, with a number of other people in two divisions to establish a fishing colony in what is now New Hampshire, at the mouth of the Piscataqua River.

One of these divisions, under Thomson, settled near the river’s mouth at a place they called Little Harbor or "Pannaway," now the town of Rye, where they erected salt-drying fish racks and a "factory" or stone house. The other division under the Hilton brothers set up their fishing stages on a neck of land eight miles above, which they called Northam, afterwards named Dover.

Nine years before that Captain John Smith of England and later of Virginia, sailing along the New England coast and inspired by the charm of our summer shores and the solitude of our countrysides, wrote back to his countrymen that:

"Here should be no landlords to rack us with high rents, or extorted fines to consume us. Here every man may be a master of his own labor and land in a short time. The sea there is the strangest pond I ever saw. What sport doth yield a more pleasant content and less hurt or charge than angling with a hook, and crossing the sweet air from isle to isle over the silent streams of a calm sea?"

Thus the settlement of New Hampshire did not happen because those who came here were persecuted out of England. The occasion, which is one of the great events in the annals of the English people, was one planned with much care and earnestness by the English crown and the English parliament. Here James the first began a colonization project which not only provided ships and provisions, but free land bestowed with but one important condition, that it remain always subject to English sovereignty.

So it remained until the "War of the Revolution." Smith first named it "North Virginia" but King James later revised this into "New England." To the map was added the name Portsmouth, taken from the English town where Captain John Mason was commander of the fort, and the name New Hampshire is that of his own English county of Hampshire.

Captain Mason died in 1635, just before his proposed trip to the new country which he never saw. He had invested more than twenty-two thousand pounds in clearing the land, building houses, and preparing for its defense, - a considerable fortune for those days. By then Dover and Portsmouth had expanded into Hampton and Exeter, and its income from fishing was increased by that from trade in furs and timber.

Taking the idea from the English government, a community of "towns" was erected, and this became a "royal province" in 1679 with John Cutt as president, with a population intended to be as nearly like England as it could be. The "royal province" continued until 1698 when it came under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts with Joseph Dudley as Governor. Thus it continued until 1741.

During that time England’s throne had been ruled by William and Mary, Queen Anne, and George I, and New Hampshire was administered by no less than eight lieutenant governors. There had been much unrest in England and as a result, to New Hampshire’s advantage, the Scotch settlers of Londonderry in Ireland had in 1719 sent many of their people here to form a "Scotch" colony in the new place they would call our own Londonderry.

Under King George II New Hampshire returned to its provincial status with a governor of its own, Benning Wentworth, who was its chief magistrate from 1741 to 1766.

During the first two decades of Governor Wentworth’s term New Hampshire had been beset with Indian troubles. With little aid from England, then at war with its old-time enemy, France, the colonists undertook the sieges of Louisbourg, and helped to reduce Crown Point, and in the conquest of Canada. By the time of the signing of the Peace of Paris in 1762, and the end of the Indian fighting under the Rogers Rangers, the entire north country of New Hampshire was ready to be explored, surveyed, and populated.

Governor Wentworth who, as if in anticipation of this opportunity, seems to have been well prepared for it, had arranged the purchase for the sum of fifteen hundred pounds of the unauthenticated claims of Robert Mason, heir of Captain John Mason. This was done through a group of twelve influential citizens who called themselves the "Masonian Proprietors." Having done this, the governor kept the land "within the province."

Governor Wentworth, with all or most of the Masonian Proprietors as his councilors, then proceeded to grant towns to prospective settlers as equally as possible. In addition to the thirty-eight towns already granted, more than a hundred others followed after the year 1761. These towns contained lots available to more than thirty thousand families, many from the older towns in southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts, but many from other neighboring states. Some of these towns were located in Vermont, to be released later by a court order, which made the western shore of the Connecticut River the state boundary line.

While the new towns were occasionally given the names of the leading grantees, not a few of them bore the historic names of English royalty, frequently those of friends and relatives of Governor Wentworth and his own royal family, the Rockinghams, in England. Many of the beneficiaries were soldiers who had fought in the Indian wars, while a few were of Dutch origin, such as might settle from New York in New Hampshire.

The terms of the grants were simple. The Proprietors could convey only the soil, while the political rights and powers of government came from the province. Provision was made that no land should be subject to taxation or assessment until improved by those holding the titles. Rights were reserved for land for roads, churches and schools, to be built within a definite period of time, for the use of ministers and in many cases for mill-rights. Fees were nominal, often only a shilling or an ear of corn a year. All tall pines should be saved for the King’s navy.

Benning Wentworth died in 1770. He was succeeded by his nephew who later became Sir John Wentworth, the last of the royal governors. He is perhaps best known because of his purchase of a thirty six mile tract of land on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee where he established an estate known as Kingswood. It afterward become Wolfeborough.

Governor Sir John Wentworth’s beneficial acts to the state included the building of roads, including one from Portsmouth to Kingswood; publishing the first accurate state map; organizing the State militia, a member of which was Major Benjamin Thompson of Concord who afterward became known as Count Rumford; his help in founding Dartmouth College; and the building of Wentworth House, now owned by the State. Loyal to the English crown, he embarked for Nova Scotia at the beginning of the Revolution, there to become its lieutenant governor until his death in 1820.

A pre-Revolution event occurring in New Hampshire was the removal in 1774, by a small party of patriots at New Castle, of the powder and guns at Fort William and Mary. Other Revolutionary events included New Hampshire’s participation in the Battle of Bunker Hill at which nearly all the troops doing the actual fighting were said to have been from this State; the signing of the Declaration of Independence by New Hampshire’s Josiah Bartlett, Matthew Thornton, and William Whipple; General John Stark’s victory at the Battle of Bennington; and the success of Captain John Paul Jones at sea.

Just as it was the first to declare its independence and adopt its own constitution, New Hampshire was the ninth and deciding state in accepting the National Constitution as that of a republic, never to be known under any other form of government. New Hampshire’s John Langdon was the first acting vice-president of the United States, and was President of the Senate when Washington was elected first president.

Many events have helped to individualize New Hampshire’s unique history as the decades have followed each other down to the present time. Both Washington and Lafayette passed within our borders. Meshech Weare was elected the first state "president". Morey’s Connecticut River steam-boat preceded Fulton’s by seventeen years. An American President, Franklin Pierce, and a Vice-president, Henry Wilson, were elected, both from New Hampshire. Daniel Webster won his famous Dartmouth College case before the Supreme Court. The first American public library was established at Peterborough. The world-recognized "Concord Coach" was made here, as was America’s first cog-railroad to Mount Washington dating 1869.

Statesmen, educators, inventors, preachers, scientists, explorers, authors, industrialists, engineers, lawyers, diplomats, are all arrayed in the long line of notables New Hampshire claims as coming from her soil.

edog
12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/newhampF.gifGEOGRAPHICAL LOCATIONhttp://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/newhampF.gif

New Hampshire is situated the most northern of the thirteen original states and lies between latitude 42-40 and 45-18 north and longitude 70-37 west. It is about 180 miles long and 50 miles wide, although the extreme width is 93 miles.

It is bounded on the north by Quebec province in Canada, on the east by Maine and the Atlantic ocean, on the south by Massachusetts, and on the west by Vermont. The Connecticut River is the western boundary.

"MOTHER OF RIVERS"

Geographies sometimes speak of the state as the "Mother of Rivers." Five of the great streams of New England originate in its granite hills. The Connecticut River rises in the northern part, and for nearly one hundred miles of its winding course hems the shores of the state with a "broad seam of silver." The Pemigewasset River starts in the Profile Lake in the Franconia mountains and joins the Winnipesaukee at Franklin to form the Merrimack, which at one time turned more spindles than any other river in the world. The Cocheco and Salmon Falls rivers join at Dover to form the Piscataqua. In addition, two of the principal rivers of Maine, the Androscoggin and the Saco, have their beginnings in northern New Hampshire.

New Hampshire has 1300 lakes or ponds and 40,000 miles of rivers and streams which provide year round fishing and recreation in scenic surroundings, as well as power for the State’s many industries.

"THE GRANITE STATE"

New Hampshire is commonly known as the Granite State, and of late years by some writers is called the Queen State - "Queen by right of her natural beauty; queen by her native hardy spirit; queen by her diversified industry; queen by reason of her motherhood of great men. She is enthroned on hills of granite, diademed with sparkling waters and sceptered with industry."

The state entertains annually over a million summer visitors who resort in the mountain, lake and seashore scenery. The soil is suitable for fruits, flowers and vegetables. The forests of pine, spruce and hard wood add beauty to the landscape and wealth to the land.

The White Mountains are the natural feature which has the widest fame. New Hampshire bodies of water cover one hundred and fifteen thousand acres and vary from small ponds to Lake Winnipesaukee, which is twenty-two miles long and eight miles wide.

New Hampshire’s publicly-owned aerial tramway, the first erected to a mountain top in North America, is located in Franconia Notch near The Old Man of the Mountain.

No state grows apples of finer flavor than come from the hillsides of New Hampshire. Horticultural shows have no better exhibits than are presented from towns in the southern part of this state. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches and products of the garden are grown in great quantities and shipped hundreds of miles.

New Hampshire is also famous for her products made from the sap of the maple tree.

The state has a seaboard of about eighteen miles. Hampton and Rye beaches have been famous summer resorts since the days Whittier pitched his "tent on the beach." The salt waves of the Atlantic lap the sometimes sandy, sometimes rocky coast into one continuous pleasure ground, where surf bathing and scenic beauty enchant the visitor. In the early fall of 1915 a disastrous fire at Hampton Beach destroyed many of the hotels and places of business there, but the resort has since been rebuilt from the ruins until it is larger and more attractive than ever. The recreational area at Hampton Beach has greatly improved the appearance of that part of the coast. The state maintains a large public bath house and a parking area.

Among New Hampshire’s all-year, all-season recreation attractions, none are more popular than its winter sports. Mount Washington is the highest mountain east of the Rockies and north of the Mason-Dixon Line. Its privately-owned cog railway was the first mountain climbing railway in the world.

New Hampshire has some of the finest ski terrain in the east where the sport may be enjoyed well into July and August.

Portsmouth, the only sea city, has an historic past and a prosperous present with its large navy yard. New Castle is a place of romance and aesthetic beauty and adventure. A large part of the Isles of Shoals in Portsmouth harbor belongs to New Hampshire, with their cottages and hotels. Lobster fishermen find the Isles of Shoals and the New Hampshire coast favorable areas for taking this famous sea food. The state highways are as fine as any state can boast of and are kept in excellent driving condition the year round. New Hampshire is open to visitors, from the coast to the mountains, twelve months in the year.

FISH AND GAME

In 1865 New Hampshire joined the vanguard of American science by establishing a fish and game department, the first one of its kind in New England. Since that date, the efforts of this department have been devoted to the propagation and conservation of fish and game.

In modern times the cultivation of fish and the protection of wildlife have demanded the application of scientific methods quite as much as any other element of our life. It is known fact that while European countries have found vast resources in their shore fisheries, the United States is by no means able to rely on her coast fisheries, and has thus been obliged to develop her inland waters to meet the needs that otherwise could have been met only by importation from other countries. Moreover, while Europe’s supply is bound to lessen in time to come, our supply will continue to increase.

Today, New Hampshire’s Fish and Game Department employs a balanced team of trained wildlife men, fish culturists, and law enforcement officers to maintain and increase the available supplies of her native species under the pressure of vastly increased demand. To do so means that every one of her waters and every bit of cover must be contributing its full share to the state’s crop. Research personnel are constantly exploring new avenues to increase natural productivity, while evaluating the results of current practices.

Fish and game is now recognized as a major factor in the recreation business which is one of New Hampshire’s foremost sources of revenue. We can be justly proud of the effective teamwork between department personnel and the sportsmen of the state who are looking forward with the eye of true conservationists to establishing the fish and wildlife species of our state on a secure footing for future years. Deer, grouse, black bear, snowshoe hares, landlocked salmon, togue, black bass, and several species of brook trout are only a few of the wild residents which are to be found in such plenty as to make sportsmen choose New Hampshire first.

LonesomeTriZ
12-16-2008, 12:20 AM
That is a LOT to read. I will have to do it later during my lunch break.

I am having second thoughts about living in a state that is abreviated with KY. Actually the lack of a big trail system is making me reconsider KY.