PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

BulletBelt
12-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Hello there!!!! I am getting back to atv world, been riding since i was 2 (now 21), Not a big racer, I enjoy cruising around the woods on my 200 big red as much as tearing down the dirt road on my banshee or 350x. I own many trikes I have gotten over the years. I have countless hours on a 85 250sx, was my dads but now mine. That is still one of my favorites, the most comfortable riding bike I have ever owned. I got a nice 86 350x that I love. Own a 86 tri-z, had a bent shift fork, so after years of searching I gave up and got an 85 tranny I threw in. Got a banshee that I have dumped all My money in, faster then hell (infact to fast for my tastes), I would trade it in a heart beat for a liquid atc 250r.
Was a big duner (silver lake), but after riding the trails I dont care for the dunes anymore, that sand just gets everywhere and east your bike up fast. After 2 tripes my 350x has some valve rattle :( . After getting my 350x the banshee has just been sitting there.
Well after not riding (except in my yard) due to all my riding buddies growing up and starting families, then a crappy job on the side. Went from riding every weakend with the crew, to twice a year with them. Well we just had a blast in the snow, had a track and rode all weekend. We started racing too, (which we normally don't do). I was very surprised to win almost every time on my 350x. I do have an +4" axle, but against 2 400exs, and a 450r It rekindled all of our spirits in riding. So here I am!!!
The things I need help with. I am knowledgeable on 2 stokes, between the tri-z and banshee I have many hours working on them. When I bought my 86 350x, It came with a complete 85 350x, All the parts are in very nice condition, and I've wanted to get it running badly for a while now. The head is messed up. This is my first 4 stroke rebuild so I wanted to ask for some help. If any1 wants to help I'll take some pics of head and post em. I have new valves and all the gasket wear i need. I dont know what to do with the head. I know the valve seats are very important, so I dont just want to blunder in sand blasting. It has some bolts broken off, the exhaust studs are broken and some1 tried drilling them out and messed them up even more. I do have access to a machine shop I used to work in, but I dont know what to do.
My tri-z needs a new carrier and axle, the previous owner mud bogged with it. He won several times and the bike is sorta known at the dealer who used to hold the races. The axles is rusted solid in the carrier, I took it to the machine shop and stuck it in the press with heat, and mushroomed the end of it threw a 1" thick block of brass. Its not moveing, I'll have to cut out and try to salvage the axle, but it has been sitting in the shop with out a rear end for a few years now.
Well thanks to any1 who read all this crap and offers to give advise, I could really use some. If any1 is interested I will post pics of all my trikes, and what is the easiest ways to make the non-runners running. Thanks!
Here some pics of my 86 350x

BulletBelt
12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Dang it wasn't paying attention and accidentally posted in mad scientist lair. If some1 could move it to the trikesylvania section would be appreciated.

keister
12-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the boards, Bullet. You have definitely come to the right place. Nice 350X, too. It has number plates and a tether, that should get you in good with many Michigan, Ohio and PA members here. The mods will probably move this thread over Trikesylvania, meanwhile, here is my advice:

1. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION - most of your questions have probably already been covered before, use advanced search and find as much info as you can.
2. A PICTURE IS WORTH 1000 WORDS - Post up pictures of what you are working with. You will get lots of advice.
3. ONE THING AT A TIME - Start a trikesylvania thread for each project (machine). You will catch the eyes of different people with expertise in 350X motors, TriZ rear ends, etc.
4. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ - You will get some good advice, some very good advice, and some bad advice. Get more than one opinion before diving in to your project.
5. FOLLOW YOUR HEART - You mentioned trading the Banshee for a 250R. Do it! There is no reason to have a machine with an extra wheel.:lol:

Good luck on your trikes. Keep us updated with pix.