PDA

View Full Version : Garage storage ideas?

Dammit!
12-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm looking for inexpensive ideas on how to maximize space in my 2 car garage. I have too much crap. Not enough room to actually work on the trikes. At most I have space to work on one at a time. I'd like room for two trike sized service areas. One for typical maintenance on the riders and one for whichever project I'm working on.

I'm looking into these (http://www.slide-lokofphoenix.com/garageoverheadstorage.php). No idea what they cost but it's a cool idea.

Right now I just have storage shelves on one side and a little desk and a shelf along the front. What I want to do is get as much stuff up off the floor as possible which is why I like the overhead idea. More freestanding shelves would just take up more floor space. Money is always an issue though so I'm looking for some homemade ideas. Kinda like my ghetto tire rack. :lol:

Edit: accidentally included a pic of the new shock for my R. :D

Saul
12-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I really like that rack you have made to hold spare ATV tires. Might look into making something like that for myself.

Dammit!
12-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm going to make another one to go right below it. Only cost about ten bucks to make if I remember right. I still need to round of the edges though. They're sharp enough to ruin your day.

Saul
12-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I like it thhough - not sure where I could put one in my shed though. I'd probably only make one for 2 tires/rims - my winter setup or summer setup.

hmmmmm

mike from long island
12-25-2008, 08:20 PM
2x3 and plywood seem to be the cheapest way to go.You dont need the expensive plywood.Just some OSB type. Go to Homedepot for material.Pretty cheap.Unless you dont like using wood.Screw everything together.it will hold up longer.

freaksfix
12-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I here ya man, there is never enough room.. Ive got a very big two stall garage with lots of over head storage and a 12 by 12 shed and still have stuff sitting outside.... Ive got a tire rack like that but its 12 feet long and ive got enough spares to fill probly 2 more that size..

mike from long island
12-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Here is my awesome tire rack!!! I had a huge lot of parts for sale on craigslist.I sold all the extra rims and tires to another new member.Had to be a dozen or more of rims and tires.Tires that would take more trouble selling on ebay then it was worth.I had huge piles of them.Most times you buy a trike.They give you all the extra tires.And most were useless. Anyways.I am starting to collect more rims and tires again..:cry: My brother dropped off 3 sets.2 fronts and one rear.Now i gotta get rid of them!! Anyways the tires inside are keepers or brand new..

Name Brand
12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I had a garage that looked like that once. Try to find an office furniture company and see if they have used/free lateral file cabinets or storage cabinets. I keep all my paints/solvents/lubes etc in a tall storage cabinet. I have a three drawer lateral file that has all my power tools and extension cords. I have another large storage cabinet for truck parts; front axle bits mostly. I have a rolling cart (no drawers) that I keep both my welders on the bottom. I can work off the top and have hammers, screwdrivers, helmet hanging from the sides.

I built a shed recently. I put a ten foot wall on it; I'll definetelly be copying the tire rack idea!

Custom200
12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I have alot of cabines to put stuff in.I think I'm gonna make a stand in the corner that the bike will fit right under andput the skidoo on top in the spring/summer/fall seasons. When i cleaned the garage i found something I lost along time ago. The floor.lol

300rman
12-27-2008, 03:05 AM
file cabinets for spray cans of all kinds, and a few freestanding selves for stuff. make a few of the shelves "bins" for stuff that rolls around so you can pile it up, or box it into boxes and stack the boxes on the shelves. hell, with some labeling, and you could be a parts distributor!

you just gotta get creative, you can fit amazing amounts of stuff into small spaces if you can pack and fit things together to minimize unused space.

sandpuppi101
12-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Well I feel for ya with being tite on room Doug,my main work area in my shop can get out of control in a heartbeat and when it does get that bad,i'm in a constant state of confusion. I use alot of Milk Crate's not only for project's that are getting worked on but storage also.I also use the smaller plastic basket's,for the project's that are on the bench .Something I alway's see with you guy's ,is a simple piece of carpet on the floor.Do you guy's actually work on your machine's all bent down like that?? I could'nt do that for long,LOL..My back would give out.I have a bench that I built a few year's ago that is 3 foot off the ground and is open underneath for convienant storage.I had caster's on the bottom but need to doo an upgrade on that system.

Dammit!
12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I put that rug down when I was putting my 200x together so I wouldn't scratch the fresh powdercoat. I decided to put the 200x away again probably until summer so I can work on my riders. The frame is now in the living room. :lol:

I would LOVE a bike lift. I do work on my machines on the floor and it does bother my back. Something like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764) modified to fit a trike perfectly would be sweet. Santa never brings me one though.

Saul
12-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I decided to put the 200x away again probably until summer so I can work on my riders. The frame is now in the living room. :lol:

Now that's devotion! (or addiction!) :pics:

edog
12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Here an idea........liquidate.

I can't stand extra stuff laying around. It drives me :crazy:

Here is what it currently looks like. The sand blasting both is now directly across from where it is now in the pic.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/100_5659.jpg
I like the hanging shelf's!

mike from long island
12-27-2008, 02:52 PM
You do realize,that if you clean up and organize the garage.That means more room for more crap!!!!! Everytime I sell a bike off or reorganize for more room.It just fills up with more crap!!!! Between tools,trikes,and now Powerwheels for my daugther :lol: ,I cant keep the barn straight and clean!!!!!!

Dammit!
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
You do realize,that if you clean up and organize the garage.That means more room for more crap!!!!! Everytime I sell a bike off or reorganize for more room.It just fills up with more crap!!!! Between tools,trikes,and now Powerwheels for my daugther :lol: ,I cant keep the barn straight and clean!!!!!!

I have that same problem. I've decided the solution isn't less crap, it's more room and/or more creative ways of fitting more crap into the same small space. :lol:

mike from long island
12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I have that same problem. I've decided the solution isn't less crap, it's more room and/or more creative ways of fitting more crap into the same small space. :lol:

Thats the truth right there!!!! I had an 8x10 shed.I was able to fit 2 trikes,decent air compressor,full size craftsman rolling toolbox,another small lower roller toolbox,all my shovels,racks,etc items,Dewalt 10"table saw,12"dewalt Slide compound chopsaw,a compressor for all my pnematic tools,3 rows of 4-5 high milk crates,and soo much more.Still had room to work at the bench as well.Now I have a 16x24 barn.And I have no room for anything!!!!!!!!!

300rman
12-27-2008, 11:11 PM

more room is NOT the answer.....

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2008, 11:51 AM
And whats so bad about having 8 - 86/87 200X motors?? :lol:

Tire racks look great guys!

clutchcargo
12-28-2008, 12:06 PM
The goal is to get everything off the floor. Hang cabinets and shelves, use hooks to hang bikes, ladders, speakers and yard tools. You gain a lot of floor space by hanging everything.

edog
12-28-2008, 12:11 PM
The goal is to get everything off the floor. Hang cabinets and shelves, use hooks to hang bikes, ladders, speakers and yard tools. You gain a lot of floor space by hanging everything.

That's the way I run my garage.

longbedGTs
12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
How about standing your trikes on end while not in use?
Ive got a 10x12 shed with a pressure washer, weadeater, 350x engine, ride lawnmower, home made ramp for the shed, and my 200x and BR. Once I get my 350x together, Ill have to figure out a way to cram it all in there. Its tight now, but Im hoping that standing two trikes on end will make it all fit. :wondering

Custom200
12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Thats alot of stuff in that space longbedGTs. I guess im lucky ,my garage is 28x16.I also like to have everything in cabinets or hung up. If there a mess or stuff just put on the floor it drives me nuts. espically when tools are on the floor. The more floor space the better. Usually the oly things on the floor besides the workbenches are my machines and tool chests. Im planning on building something along the lines of this to save space when not using the skidoo