PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheelbearing question

Orangecnty250r
12-27-2008, 08:10 PM
I have a 2005 Home Depot type Worksport by Pace American 6x10 gated utility trailer and am leaving on a trip REAL early tomorrow. As I was checking the lights I decided to shake the wheels.... Both have slight play in them....my father stopped up and insisted something MUSt be wrong with the bearings.."there should never be ANY play" he says.....I figure with how EVERTHING is made these days it may have come that way. Well I am going to grease them up in the am and hope for the best . Does anyone have a trailer like this or experience with these wheels.

I have alot of highway to hit and dont want to end up on the side of the road.

Has anyone here lost a wheel before....maybe I should bring some spare trailpro just in case

hublake
12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I know that everytime I take my trailer on any distance, I always check the wheel bearings. There might be some play in them but I wouldn't want very much. Also check the air pressure in the tires. Nothing worse than having a bearing go on a trip and end up loosing the whole spindle.

KASEY
12-27-2008, 09:20 PM
tapered bearings should have some preload!! otherwise the constant shockload from the slack will crack a race,,,

jack it up and grab ahold of it,,, it should not have any play,,,, if it does pop the cap pull the cotter pin,,, tighten it till it has no slack go 1/4 of a turn more .... i do it 3 or 4 times back and forth to make sure i get it right,,,, then make sure it spins freely and put it back together... i check my tralier before every long high speed trip,,,

Yamada
12-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah, probably that the castlenut just need to be tightened. It will just cost you a cutter pin and some grease.