PDA

View Full Version : 5 Wheel ATC

GlennMc
11-01-2002, 09:38 PM
I'll bet you are eagerly anticipating pictures right? I have run into a small problem. The files that I wanted to post are jpeg images from my digital camera. They are too large to load. Does anybody know the best method to convert them into a smaller file size that still looks good? If someone can do this easily I could e-mail them the pictures and have them convert them for me. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks, GlennMc.

Billy Golightly
11-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Glen,

You can email them to me and I'll post them on the board here for everyone to see and also on the site for a future update if you want. Email address is: HondaATC@3wheelerworld.com

Billy

PowerTrike
11-01-2002, 11:12 PM
(edited) hey,just looked at that thing its awsome. And its even put together right so its fuctional, not just a "cool lookin" but worse than the original project. :D

GlennMc
11-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Well I certainly hope that the wait is worth it for you. If you have any question about how it was put together let me know. I took a long look at it! I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 200M but without the low range and reverse it would be unworkable. I could probably build a subtransmission at work but the time and expense would be more than it's worth. Talk to you later, GlennMc.

Jonathan
11-02-2002, 01:53 AM
If you have any question about how it was put together let me know.

Ok, how? That's way cool, but I bet it's a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to steer. Do all 4 rear wheels have suspension? Is it just like a long-ass swing arm with an output on the front differential? Is it a full-time 4wd system?
Thanks

GlennMc
11-02-2002, 02:19 AM
It actually steers fairly well. I was surprised when I saw it in action and I took it for a ride myself. On a dirt road it pushes a little bit but still turns well. In the big muddy holes it steers just fine.

Both rear axles are suspended and they are independant of each other. The front axle is still on the original swing arm and shock absorber. The rear axle pivots about the front one and has its own shock absorber. The full time 4 wheel drive is accomplished by modifying the front (original) axle to accept a sprocket and running a chain from it to the same size sprocket on the rear axle. Since the rear axle pivots about the front, the chain length and tension never changes. It is well engineered and well built.

The real beauty of this rig is that it does not permanently modify the original ATC in any way other than the addition of a drive key on the axle for the drive sprocket. It could all be removed in an afternoon.

I am attaching a picture of the load that we pulled out of the woods with it. Total weight would be about 1000 lbs. Let me know if you have other questions, GlennMc.

HemiChallenger71
11-02-2002, 11:17 PM
That's pretty neat, I didn't know they made the Big Reds with chain drive. I like the rack you have on it too. Did you get a brake on the backmost axle to work???

Zod
11-03-2002, 12:15 AM
I LIKE IT!!!!!! Got any pics of when you were putting the extra stuff on? Is that your 5 wheel trike that you take hunting with you? That is one cool trike.

11-05-2002, 12:55 AM
jeswinehart;

I am second from the right. By the time that picture was taken, I had enough beers in me to insulate me from the cold and had removed my "hunter orange" outerwear. The fellow on the far right is credited with the kill. The rack (antlers) however is hanging in my garage.

hemichallenger71;

As jeswinehart speculated, the only chain is from front to rear axle. Because both axles are connected by chain, there is no need for a second brake. As soon as the front axle slows, the rear slows with it.

Zod;

I did not do the conversion myself, nor is it my machine. It belongs to one of my hunting partners. It is one of 6 ATC's in our group of eight guys.
The conversion was done by a company in Quebec but I don't know if they do it as a kit or if it is a one-off that was done at customer request. And yes it comes hunting with us and is capable of pulling the moose in the picture out of some pretty messy bush.

GlennMc
11-05-2002, 12:56 AM
Sorry, last post is by me, I forgot to log in. GlennMc.

ATC crazy
11-05-2002, 12:32 PM
:o Thats a pretty cool 'wheeler if you ask me. A 4x4 3wheeler is something pretty innovative. Not a bad kill by the way.

11-10-2002, 05:48 PM
well it is definitely better than four wheels kyle