PDA

View Full Version : Best way to start 250 2 stoke bikes???

cmracer15
07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
What is the easiest way yall have found to start a 2 stroke..i have an RM250 with fmf pipe, boyseen reeds, weisco pistin. What do you recoment setting the mixture needle a for a start??? Do you run your gas out of the carb before turning the engine off? for some reason when the bike is cold i cant get it to start. it makes the spark plug soaked and wont fire. So i take it out dry it off and put it back in and kick it some more and it starts. Can anyone help?? thanks

250sxRacer
07-02-2003, 10:50 PM
it isnt starting when u kick it b/c its cold. i would recomend running the gas out of it b/c thats what i do and it seems to work. but the best way i have found and a lot of my freinds have found it to pop start it.

cmracer15
07-03-2003, 09:48 AM
We have tried that..nomatter where we try it..down a hill...on cement...grass..the back tire just draggs. it has ToNS of compression...its hard enough to kick over.

Jeb
07-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Did you try to push start it in 3rd gear? get back on your downhill cause it easier and click the RM up into 3rd, pull the clutch in, one of you get on bike and the other push it down hill. then just let the clutch out and it should turn the motor over with out causing the rear wheel to slide. You need weight on the rear end and a higher gear to keep the tire from sliding. If the bike doesn't start immediately and the "pusher" is up to it, have him keep pushing the bike as far as he can. sometimes they won't start instantly but will 10 or 15 feet later. If you ride the bike at least once a week, i see no need in draining the carb. If it's going to be stored for a while, when you go to put it up, just turn the gas off and let it run until the carb bowl runs out. then it should start easier next time.

Also you might try this. If you cant start it by kicking it, then turn the gas off and put the choke on. hold it wide open and kick it over several times. If it fires great, if not then turn the gas back on, turn the choke off, and do not give it any throttle and kick it over.

just a couple ideas that I used to use! Good Luck!

Dynofox
08-12-2003, 08:46 PM
All I do to start my tri z is pull the choke up and kick it once or twice and she fires right up.

NOS_350X
08-14-2003, 01:46 AM
buy yourself a 350x and pull it until it starts.

TrikeKid
08-14-2003, 04:59 PM
thats what we do with the cl350 my cousin has only we use a z 400

200x Basket
08-28-2003, 09:53 PM
just kick it, real hard. if you think that is tough try kicking a cr500. that thing will rip the sole off of your boot :shock:

groundfly
08-28-2003, 10:07 PM
When i first got my bike i would kick and kick for an hour somtimes before it would start. But the i found out i was kicking all wrong. I was kicking from kick being strait up then kicking down real hard, But i was told to push down till i find the most resisistance, and kick there, even if it's only 3 inches from the bottom, My kick is like 4 inches, fires right up.

Yamahammer490
08-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I've got a Yamaha IT 490 and have also noticed that it is much easier to start if you push down slowly until you encounter resistance and then boot it hard for the last few inches. I used to get up on a crate and try to boot the thing through the whole arc of the kick starter and it often took 20 or more kicks before it would spring to life. Using the new technique I generally get fire in the first couple.

I've also found that you should use the choke and NOT give it any gas. Those two things made it easier for me. (But the 490 still takes a determined prod to get its attention!)

Jeb
09-03-2003, 02:52 PM
I've got a Yamaha IT 490 ...

Killer old bike!