PDA

View Full Version : how to extend a swing arm???

1ive0rd1e
01-02-2009, 07:25 PM
i would like to know how to extend a swing arm i have no idea how.:confused: im pretty sure you gotta cut it but where, and how do you put it back together, and how is it aligned, do i need to get different brake lines, im sure a new chain too. thanks!!:TrikesOwn
would like to see some pics!!

super90
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
If your not good at welding, or dont reinforce it enough then theres going to be an "OH trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro" moment.

cr480r
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
i would like to know how to extend a swing arm i have no idea how.:confused: im pretty sure you gotta cut it but where, and how do you put it back together, and how is it aligned, do i need to get different brake lines, im sure a new chain too. thanks!!:TrikesOwn
would like to see some pics!!

Where you cut depends on the machine.. how long the brake line needs to be depends on the length you extend. Yes you will need more chain.. and it is best aligned by using a jig... a slight misalignment at the carrier is huge at the wheels

oOGoFastOo
01-07-2009, 01:47 AM
This is a pic of my Tecate swing arm i extended 6 inches. I cut it between the shock linkage and the rear carrier mount and welded in new tubing and braced it.

jeddy
01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
When I made my own swing arm for my 600X I made a jig to hold the arm. I used two thick (1/2") steel plates. They are about 3" tall and about three feet long. Use whatever length is appropriate for your arm. I drilled a hole for the stock swingarm bolt on one end of the plates. I installed the plates on the sides of the arm with the swingarm bolt. Use the bearing caps and everything that is normally on the arm when it's in the frame. Then I measued the distance across the plates at that point. Set the plates at the same distance at the carrier end of the arm to make sure it's square. At the carrier end, measure the distance from the plates to the sides of the carrier. They will probably be different for each side. I used this measurement to turn two spacers to keep the swingarm centered in the jig. The spacers I made fit in the carrier holder and have a shoulder to set the depth. I drilled a hole thru them the same size as the swingarm bolt and used another swingarm bolt to hold it together. Drill a hole thru the plates that lines up in the center of the normal length carrier and make sure that everything fits together for the stock set up. Now, to alter your swingarm's length just drill another set of holes in the jig the distance you want to alter your swingarm. Then you can cut your swingarm at a convient place and bolt in both sections into your jig at the new length. The spacers you make for the carrier will keep it in the proper position for the chain to line up and should keep everything square if you do a good job of making the jig and spacers (I used a bridgeport mill and a decent lathe with a DRO). Fill in the gap with some metal and weld it up. I fully welded my arm in the jig to reduce warpage. This probably doesn't make much sense, so if you want I can email you some pics if you PM me an address. If you have to alter your suspension linkage you are on your own. To keep it simple, you want to cut the arm so you leave all the linkage stuff on the front half. This allows you to use the stock linkage. A problem with extending the swingarm is that it really kicks up the rear end of your trike. So when I shortened my arm, I also put a dog leg in it to lower the rear end. This is nice because you can then get the length you want and still have a low ride height. Just make sure the arm is built strong enough since it will probably want to fail at that point. Good luck, it really isn't as hard as it sounds...

njeffery
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Here's some pics of mine. I didn't use a jig but It took a lot of measurements over and over again to make sure. I got it with in a 1/32" of an inch.