PDA

View Full Version : '83 ATC 185 for sale - good deal?

pistonhead72
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Found an '83 Honda ATC 185 (not a 185s) for sale on craigslist. Asking price is $550. Looks pretty decent in the picture. Ad says: "Runs great, complete, everything works, new brake cables, starts first pull, ready to go." This sounds like a really good deal! Any opinions? Are these collectible? I just joined the forum and I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to 3 wheelers. Thanks.

trizilla
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
i wouldnt call it a great deal, but if its worth it to you then its worth it. i also dont think they are a major collector item. im not the person to answer wether its collectable or not though. if its real nice and not beat up looking then its probably worth it.

firehart
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Have you ridden a three wheeler before? A lot depends on your age and your experience. I really like my 83 185s. But then, I'm an old man who doesn't do much except putt around.

MonroeMike
01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Found an '83 Honda ATC 185 (not a 185s) for sale on craigslist. Asking price is $550. Looks pretty decent in the picture. Ad says: "Runs great, complete, everything works, new brake cables, starts first pull, ready to go." This sounds like a really good deal! Any opinions? Are these collectible? I just joined the forum and I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to 3 wheelers. Thanks.

As far as I know, the 185 was only made in 1980. (split fenders, trunk, rack and round headlight). The 185s was made '81 through '83. So, either the year is wrong, or it's a 185s.

firehart
01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
If you buy it, post a picture for us. Here's what my 83 185s look like.

pistonhead72
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Have you ridden a three wheeler before? A lot depends on your age and your experience. I really like my 83 185s. But then, I'm an old man who doesn't do much except putt around.

To tell you the truth, I can't remember if I ever rode a 3 wheeler. I think I remember trying a 200X once, but that was like 20-25 years ago (I'm 36 now). They're really not hard to ride, right? You just have to shift your weight to the inside of a turn. I've wanted a quad for years, but I just never got around to buying one, mostly because I didn't have the money. I used to like the trikes alot when I was younger, but then the quads came along and I kind of lost interest in the trikes. My logic was, why bother with a trike, when you can have the extra stability and safety of four wheels. I would think that it's less demanding physically and easier to go fast on a quad, but like I said I really have no experience with trikes and really not much with quads either. I didn't realize that there was still such a strong following for trikes, but obviously there is. I really would like to get a 4X4 quad with a plow (the snowblowing and shoveling is getting old), but I would like to have something to just play around with too, especially in the snow! I just don't have the cash right now for a 4X4 quad with a plow. So when I saw the craigslist ad for the Honda 185, I figured for the price I could have some fun for relatively cheap. If I decided not to keep it, I feel that judging by the condition of it in the picture and the description, I should be able to get my money back, maybe even make a few bucks if I sell it. Of course being a gearhead, I'll have a hard time not hopping it up!:naughty:

pistonhead72
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
If you buy it, post a picture for us. Here's what my 83 185s look like.

The picture in the craigslist ad pretty much looked just like yours. I guess it is a 185s.

thefox
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
That sounds like the average price if it looks good. As far as being collectible, only ones in pristine condition rally are. The 185s is a fun trike but don’t buy it thinking you will be able to make one on it.

firehart
01-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Did you buy the one on Ebay? If not, run a few want ads in your local Craigslist first and see what happens. I got my 185s for $50.00. In fact, I only paid $50.00 each for all four of mine.

pistonhead72
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Did you buy the one on Ebay? If not, run a few want ads in your local Craigslist first and see what happens. I got my 185s for $50.00. In fact, I only paid $50.00 each for all four of mine.

$50??!! I didn't think you could get anything for $50! Seems like everybody thinks they got gold or somethin'!:wondering

firehart
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I got the 200 from an ad on Craigslist. The stater rope was broken, the seat was all tore up and the tires were flat. I put an ad on Craigslist two years ago for a three wheeler that need work and someone responded and sold me the 110. It in the worst shape. I don't know what its missing. Last year I saw the 185 in a guy's field. He was trying to sell his place. I stopped by his house several times before I caught him home. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. he said sure. I asked him his asking price and he said what did I give for the other ones I had. I said $50.00 and he said that sounded good to him. The 125 I got about four months ago. Again I put an ad on craigslist and a lady brought in down from the mountains and sold it to me for $50.00. Right now only the 200 and the 185 run.

pistonhead72
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I spoke to the guy with the '83 185s today. He told me he also has an '85 200s for sale for $550. He said the only problem he knows of on that one is that there's a slight oil leak from the head, he didn't say exactly where. I would guess that it's maybe the head gasket, (does pressurized oil go thru it to lube the valvetrain?), or maybe one of the covers on the head. I'm thinking maybe I should go with the 200s. No replacement for displacement, right? Of course that depends on the rest of the machine too (haven't seen pics of that one yet). Anyone know what the rated HP is for one of these? How much more power can you get out of one? Big bore and stroker kits available?:naughty:

pistonhead72
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I got the 200 from an ad on Craigslist. The stater rope was broken, the seat was all tore up and the tires were flat. I put an ad on Craigslist two years ago for a three wheeler that need work and someone responded and sold me the 110. It in the worst shape. I don't know what its missing. Last year I saw the 185 in a guy's field. He was trying to sell his place. I stopped by his house several times before I caught him home. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. he said sure. I asked him his asking price and he said what did I give for the other ones I had. I said $50.00 and he said that sounded good to him. The 125 I got about four months ago. Again I put an ad on craigslist and a lady brought in down from the mountains and sold it to me for $50.00. Right now only the 200 and the 185 run.

You sound like me. I got all kinds of stuff that doesn't run. Wife doesn't like it, can't understand why!:wondering

firehart
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
185's and 200's are geared lower in first gear. If you want a fast trike get a 250r or 350x. 200x's aren't bad. I had a 200x a few years ago. It really did not suit my style of riding. I really like the gearing and the weight of the 200 for slow trail riding but I like the front suspension on the 185.

firehart
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I hid the last trike in the bushes for three months. She didn't see it till all the leaves fell off. I'm always dragging stuff home. The last thing I drug home was a nice riding mower. I hope in the spring I can get it running.

pistonhead72
01-06-2009, 12:18 AM
I bought an '84 ATC70 a couple months ago off of craigslist for $300. Funny thing is, it's got 4 wheels!! A guy I work with "says" that Honda was required by the government, to offer owners of these, a kit to convert them to 4 wheelers. He said that his nephew has (had?) one of these, and that he received a check (from Honda?) for the conversion, but he decided not to do it and just kept the money instead. So far, I haven't been able to find out much. Dr. ATV (dr.atv.com), said that there was a company that sold the kits 15-20 years ago for like $1000 or $1500, but he couldn't remember the name. blue27 (member on this forum), said that it was probably from "3X4 conversion", or maybe "Astro Conversion". I wish I knew how to make the pics I have smaller, I'd post them.

pistonhead72
01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=firehart;691149]I hid the last trike in the bushes for three months. She didn't see it till all the leaves fell off. I'm always dragging stuff home. The last thing I drug home was a nice riding mower. I hope in the spring I can get it running.[/QUOTE

I'm always dumpster diving in the "rolloff" container for scrap metal we have at work! I have dragged home an old Homelite generator - probably from the 50's, a small Evinrude outboard from the 40's (complete!), a larger Montgomery Ward outboard - probably 50's also and 2 huge Sioux valve grinders. All free! Some people thinks it's a sickness. My wife has said that the backyard looks like Sanford & Son!:p

rdlsz24
01-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I bought an '81 185s that was complete besides a front tire for $50. I got it running and it smoked like crazy so I used it for parts.

Rob

pistonhead72
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I just made a deal with a guy about 10 minutes from me for an '85 250SX for $600! This thing is CLEAN! He was asking $750. A few minutes after I showed up, he was demonstrating it for me in the snow/sleet covered parking lot across the street from his house and then he flipped it making a turn. Broke off the front brake lever and perch, but I think that's it. It's got a plug in the front tire and the ignition switch is missing, so you have to kick start it for now. After it was warmed up, 1 kick, no throttle and she was purrin'. I'm psyched, I'm gonna have a chubby for a week! Maybe even 2 weeks!:lol: I didn't give him a deposit 'cause I don't trust people. He could take my deposit and sell it to someone else, ya know? I hope he doesn't back out of the deal and sell it to someone else!:cry: I'm gonna try to attach the pics I took of it. Hope it works. Dammit! It says the pics can't exceed 250KB! How the $#@! do I do that?:mad:

pistonhead72
01-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Just spotted an '85 350X on craigslist for $975. No where near as clean as the 250SX though. What's a decent 350X worth?:naughty:

ditchmud
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Dammit! It says the pics can't exceed 250KB! How the $#@! do I do that?:mad:

It took me 2 years to finally figure it out. I finally had to ask. Luckily for you there is a thread in the "open Forum" Read down through the post untill you read about resizing. There is another thread somewhere that edog posted, search for that thread too.
Look here
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=31055 :welcome:

pistonhead72
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks ditchmud, I'll check that out.:)

pistonhead72
01-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, I am now the proud owner of an '85 Honda 250SX, my first trike! Not quite as mint as I thought it was, but still a nice machine. The punk that sold it to me failed to tell me that the choke cable sticks. That's probably why he had it already running when I showed up last night to look at it and again tonite when I bought it and took it home. People suck!:mad:

While riding it up and down my street tonite, I noticed that if I don't hold the handlebars straight, it seems to pull to the right. And when I'm on the throttle heavy, it seems to pull to the right also. Has anyone else experienced this with a 250SX? Is this normal? I wonder if it has anything to do with the ring and pinion being offset to the left of the rear axle.:wondering

pistonhead72
01-08-2009, 12:32 AM
And here she is.

ditchmud
01-08-2009, 12:54 AM
As far as it pulling one way or the other check for equal rear tire pressure. Axle nuts loose, or worn splines. Bent frame or forks. Just a few things to check.

rdlsz24
01-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Looks pretty decent. Always be weary of people that have something running when you show up. When I sell I make a point to tell the potential buyer that the engine is stone cold before I start it for them.

Rob