PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have or ride horses

oldtime3wheeler
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I was just curious if anyone here has or rides horses. My wife and I presently have 2, a Quarter horse and a Kentucky Mountain. My wife rides atleast once a week, more in the summer(its her main hobbie). I on the other hand find very little time to ride with work and my other hobbies.

piroguedog
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
We have 7. My wife barrel races. I just ride for fun every blue moon usually with beer in the saddle bags. 4 quarter horses, 1 appendix, and 2 welsh ponys.

LonesomeTriZ
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
My wife rides atleast once a week, more in the summer(its her main hobbie). I on the other hand find very little time to ride with work and my other hobbies.

That is how it is at our house. I would like to ride with her more often, but never find the time.

oldtime3wheeler
01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Its to the point that Im going to sell the quarter horse. He doesnt get enough saddle time. She likes her Kentucky Mtn, and doesnt like to ride the quarter. He has to much spirit for her. Hopefully we can find him a good home. Maybe I can find someone who will trade me a nice trike for him lol.

brappette
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey, I think you and I need to talk when you come to Pennsyltucky, I have been looking into getting another horse so bad, Maybe, just maybe I can get Brapp to try you a trike for one. But we will have to talk about it.

Its to the point that Im going to sell the quarter horse. He doesnt get enough saddle time. She likes her Kentucky Mtn, and doesnt like to ride the quarter. He has to much spirit for her. Hopefully we can find him a good home. Maybe I can find someone who will trade me a nice trike for him lol.

oldtime3wheeler
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Brappette, he is at a brokers stable right now. If he isnt sold by then, we can definately try and work something out.

Dirtcrasher
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
If you guys "ride" them they I can see having them....

But, my lovely and beautiful neighbor has 2 Clydesdales and they are FARKING HUGE!! She cannot ride them, one of them is mental if you ask me :lol:

She had some training done but they told her they would need a full commitment from her to get them trained and with her busy life, she couldn't do that at that time.....

She loves them to death and treats them like gold, she saved both of them from being killed by the farmer that couldn't care less of them.

But, I just see - Eat, Chit, Piss, Eat, Chit, Piss and $$$$$$$$$$, Hell even the hoofs have to trimmed numerous times a year for 300$ a pop but it's her hobby and she loves them!

Want some pics?? I'll sneak over and snap a few for you horse lovers!

oldtime3wheeler
01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I love to ride, but like I said not enough time. My wife use to take the quarter horse out and I would go along with my big red. He loves to race me. We can ride side by side. Everytime I switch gears he picks up his pace. That horse is frickin fast.

brapp
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
well man try givign the old lady a call i got a couple trikes we could work soemthignout on . i have been secretly wantign to get her a hore and w ehave a decent barn just needs cleaned out(too many trikes and quads) from when my dad used to do logging with a pair of belgin drafts and i had a shire a few years back and got rid of him for the same reasons but i ahve plenty of time now

smokinwrench
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I grew up on horses until I got my first bike 1982 xr80. After that me riding was very rare and then to none. I don't care if I ever ride a horse again.

My mom rides everyday and barrelraces several times per month. My sister also travels barrel racing. All nine of my moms brothers and sisters have horses and most of there kids. They do everytign from train race horses to polo horses, one cousin was in teh national finals rodeo last year in bull dogging he placed 5th in the world he was headed there this year but broke his leg.

LonesomeTriZ
01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Clydesdales are the horses I want running around our property. We have a Clydesdales quater cross and he is a fine looking horse. My wife claims she got him for me. I do not see how considering I go one twice a year.

oldtime3wheeler
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
The next time you buy a trike, tell her you bought it for her lol.

TravEX
01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I grew up on horses, but now I could care less about them. My wife has 2. They eat, crap, and breath, that's it. We never ride them, just dump MONEY in em. They are called 'hay burners' for a reason. We should ride em more often, but not enough time. They need lots of care and training to be worth a dang when you're riding, and I got too many other hobbies, and a little boy coming in March!

Twilight
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
On the sheep farm back in Australia I learned to ride horses and was in a couple junior races. Never was into them after I moved to the USA, then again I havent been working or lived on a farm in 13 years, hehe.

Was fun though.

LonesomeTriZ
01-08-2009, 01:11 AM
The next time you buy a trike, tell her you bought it for her lol.

:lol: Not a bad idea.

YAMA-MAMA
01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
:lol: Not a bad idea.

You might have a problem with that one, I like trikes too. It might really end up to be mine!

DixiePlowboy
01-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I owned quite a few horses up til about '04, when I sold my last Saddlebred/TB cross. I reenacted Confederate Cavalry for about 6-years, and really enjoyed it. I tell ya, once you, your horse, and your riding buddies get used to riding and moving in cavalry formations, every trail ride becomes a drill. I actually prefered it that way.

I finally grew tired of keeping, feeding, and shoeing horses year round....no matter whether I rode them or not. I was having a hard time affording them, and didn't get to ride enough to justify the expense. My neighbor, who used to watch after them if I had to be out of town for a few days, passed away a few years ago, so I no longer could go anywhere for having to worry about my horses. I sold them off, and don't plan to get back into horses unless they become necessary transportation one day:)

I do miss riding every now and then though.

LonesomeTriZ
01-17-2009, 05:05 AM
We are having the same issues. I cannot see why we are still paying all the upkeep on two of them. At least if our trikes break down they can sit until we can afford to repiar them. You do not get a break with horses. What unit did you ride with. Melissa may know them?

DixiePlowboy
01-17-2009, 11:51 AM
We are having the same issues. I cannot see why we are still paying all the upkeep on two of them. At least if our trikes break down they can sit until we can afford to repiar them. You do not get a break with horses. What unit did you ride with. Melissa may know them?

I rode with the the 4th AL Co. F out of northwest AL(States Rights Brigade), but I sold a horse(my best horse ever) to Coley Adair with The Critter Company over ya'lls way in Atlanta(or so).

LonesomeTriZ
01-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Do you still have your period tack?

DixiePlowboy
01-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Everything was sold by the Spring of '04, when I sold my last horse.

That last saddle was the nicest I've ever had.....A Doug Kidd (Border States Leatherworks...Springdale, Arkansas) Atlanta Arsenal Depot Texas(Hope) saddle. Skeleton rigged, of course.

LonesomeTriZ
01-18-2009, 05:08 AM
My wife almost got me into re-enacting. It is not a cheap hobby.

DixiePlowboy
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
My wife almost got me into re-enacting. It is not a cheap hobby.
10-4 on that!

Infantry or gun(cannon) crew member are the cheaper impressions(and they aren't cheap)and mounted cavalry trooper was ONLY less expensive an impression than owning your own cannon. The cheapest GOOD cannon is about $3000 for the tube and around that + more for the carriage....and you can't have but so many Mountain Howitzers in one battle before you have to step up to a 12-lb. Napolean in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000.

Someone that really cares about authenticity of uniforms and equipment is going to have to become an amatuer historian and be willing to spend hours and more-$$ for a top-notch impression.

I just got burnt-out after about 6 years. I got to the point that I couldn't look at a piece of land without seeing tactical placement and guaging it's worth as a spot worth fighting for.....in 19th Century Napoleanic terms.....:D :D

LonesomeTriZ
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I still think it is interesting to watch and even play around with a bit. But I am not interested in getting deeply involved with it. A guy in my SCV chapter has a cannon. I never did ask him how much he had in it.

YAMA-MAMA
01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Everything was sold by the Spring of '04, when I sold my last horse.

That last saddle was the nicest I've ever had.....A Doug Kidd (Border States Leatherworks...Springdale, Arkansas) Atlanta Arsenal Depot Texas(Hope) saddle. Skeleton rigged, of course.

I have probably passed you at events: Brooksville, Olustee, Palatka, Selma, Blue Springs. I was dating a real butt head at the time so it could have probably been more enjoyable. There were some really great people involved in reenacting. Ive seen some of Doug's work and he came highly reccomended by Cav reenactors. There was another guy out of Florida I think it was Liberty Saddle?? Dont want to know what a McClelland would cost for the moose we have.

DixiePlowboy
01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I have probably passed you at events: Brooksville, Olustee, Palatka, Selma, Blue Springs. There were some really great people involved in reenacting.

We may very well have crossed paths.

Most people involved were great to work with and be around.....the same cannot be said for most event organizers and the higher "brass".

I've been to events where even the commanders were ignorant of the actual events we were portraying, and especially ignorant of the proper use of Western Theatre cavalry. Sometimes we had to break from the plan and the "order of battle" by not going back to camp after our little cav-on-cav face off(aka: Dance Of The Sabre Fairies):rolleyes: , and instead head into the woods and find the flank or the rear of the "enemy", dismount, and fight on foot.

It was definitely a great experience, all things considered.

LonesomeTriZ
01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
We may be down a horse pretty soon. What is the market like right now? If we end up selling our Clyde Quarter cross where would be a good place to advertise him?