PDA

View Full Version : hot tubs?

factoryX
01-06-2009, 07:38 AM
who has one? are they worth it?

Tri-Z 250
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
My father had a 7man with the laydown bench. They add about $50 per month in electric to your bill. I have a teak tub that is old school soaker with a few back jets. I have yet to get it running I'm still getting parts together...I'm down to the heater/pump with 2 stage hi-lo and some pipes. I love em' and find them great for old bones and joints. If you have a good Dr. he may be able to help with cost thru insurance, as preventive med for early arthridious(sp). Gas vs Electric I've been told that gas is more expensive in parts but you can over kill the system with better equipment for say a pool( but you'll need a dog house or a place for the equipment close to the unit). The suround all in one units can plug in anywhere to a 50amp shutoff box/breaker but the pump jet motors and filter systems; although better now, still limit you to replacement parts and such. Keeping up with the wood surounds is like your basic deck wash and stain from time to time. Repairs the wood teak is the most basic no stain and all pipes are exposed....the surounds are filled with FOAM insulation...get a leak in an inner pipe good luck digging for it. Will it leak...if you let it freeze over winter YES. If you drain it and put antifreeze(small amount) in the system you'll be fine. Personally I love soaking in the dead of winter hope this helps a little.

The Goat
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
There is nothing more awesome sitting in one in when the Temps are 40 and below with a nice bottle of bubbly.

Only did it twice at an exes house, but by god it was beautiful.

keister
01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I have had mine for about 18 months and I love it - use it ~6 days a week all year round. Before purchasing I did some pretty thorough research.
I recommend Marquis Spa brand (employee owned company based in Oregon). It is not the cheapest, but it will pay off in the long run from a maintenance standpoint.
They go about $1000 per seat. I have a 5 seater with 18 jets (middle of the road model). You can get one as simple as a 2-seater that plugs into a regular wall outlet. I big one will need a 30amp with its own electrical disconnect box.
Mine adds about $30/month electric (better tub = more insulation = lower operating cost).
Chemicals go about $300 / year. All I do is shock it weekly, spray the filters every 2 weeks and change the water 3-4 times per year. You need to know a little about water chemistry and balance to keep your pH and alkalinity right.
Buy new and Marquis will give you a 5-10 year warrantly on the shell and 1-3 years on the pumps. I would not buy a used tub.

ditchmud
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm on my second tub now. I started out with an old school 2 person unit that only had 4 jets. It was nice and helped with sore joints and muscles. It was small so I kept it in the garage. My new one is an Emerald brand 8 person with 40 jets and lots of bells and whistles. It's huge and has to sit outside. It's awfully cool to sit in it when it's snowing. One thing I have realized is that once the newness wheres off you use it less and less. It is still nice to have it there for when you need it. Beware of buying a used one unless you are good with electrical and plumbing. I bought mine used for $300 but it had broken pipes from not being winterized properly. I lucked out that only a few pipes and fittings busted and nothing major was damaged. It wasn't much fun fixing it but after a couple hundred dollars more I have a tub that I couldnt afford to have bought new.

Tri-Z 250
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
There is nothing more awesome sitting in one in when the Temps are 40 and below with a nice bottle of bubbly.

Only did it twice at an exes house, but by god it was beautiful.

:lol: Note: Ex was on vacation in Mexico with her new boytoy...couldn't help myself sorry Goat. I just got a visual of you getting blasted in the tub while no one was home.

The Goat
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
:lol: Note: Ex was on vacation in Mexico with her new boytoy...couldn't help myself sorry Goat. I just got a visual of you getting blasted in the tub while no one was home.

she actually wasn't there :lol: She was at a wedding with her parents...which I couldn't bare to go to.

it was me and a 4 really good "friends" on a champagne campaign :shiftyeyes:

damn I miss the old days...

Mosh
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I fart in the tub!

Tri-Z 250
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Well Mosh there is something about the hillbilly hot tub that I loved from an early age:naughty: ...Holy Trail Pro Goat, I new you were player.:lol:

firehart
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Is it harder to keep the water right when the kids "p" in it?