PDA

View Full Version : 200x rod ?

Jonathan
11-02-2002, 12:21 AM
Should the rod in a 200x motor have any play in it at all at either end? Mine does. Considering the fact that mine probably needs a bore job, new piston, new cam chain tensioners, maybe a new clutch, and possibly new rod or rod bearings or something, do you think I would be better off just finding another motor that doesn't need to be rebuilt?
Thanks

jeswinehart
11-02-2002, 01:02 AM
i personaly would have it re-buit. should be alot cheaper then a "new 14-16" year old crate motor. if you have a motor guy you know + trust,,, and he do the work,,, thats basically a brand new motor.
i am by no means a guru on internals of a motor but know what i have had done in the past and learned from it.
if your cam needs replaced, wore down that bad, i would think your rockers are flat spotted as well and need attention. that would be another factor in cost. now if you want a little bit wilder (cam)for the heck of it, okay.
yes there is play (side to side only) that you would notice if you where to grab ahold of the rod and go side to side. if the up and down (stroke can be felt then your'e right bearings on lower end shot- upper rod holds the piston and i would think that if you feel like your shaking hands with it, it would be good idea to figure into total project cost.

john