PDA

View Full Version : Starting January 15 NO more checks/money orders on eBay?

nd4speed
01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Starting January 15 NO more checks/money orders on eBay?

At least that's what it said in the email they sent me. I thought this rule did not go over well in Australia and they were served a class action for anti-trust or monopoly or something like that.

firehart
01-09-2009, 07:52 AM
I haven't used Ebay for quite sometime. I been doing more on Craigslist because its free.

Billy Golightly
01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
That is absolutely unreal. What a piss pot ebay has turned into.

SYKO
01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I still use pay pal just charge 5% more when they do.

but how can they stop people from sending money orders and checks?

so... thoreticly (sp?) I win something and the guy lives down the road from me, so I drive to his house to pay him with a check..... black cars fly in to a screeching halt and men in black suits toss me in and threaton to kill me?

could be a likely scenio the way ebay is going.

Blown 331
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Can you copy the email into this thread? I use ebay all the time and never got anything like this and I call BS. -I'm not saying you didn't get this email but I doubt its from ebay, probably a scam in some way. lol.

SYKO
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM
just thought about that, ive never received an email like that either, about a year ago it was common to get 2-3 spoof emails saying they were ebay on a weekly basis.

nd4speed
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
No, the email is legit and was in MY eBay/ My Messages/ Inbox.

They burried it under some other BS (and probably have been doing so for some time):

Subject: 50% off fees, PowerSeller double discounts, Feedback changes, and more!
Received: Jan-08-09

Seller Update: January 8, 2009

Get a head start in 2009 with these seller specials running now:

50% off auctions-the whole month of January. Ring in the New Year with "quick turn" auctions. Get 50% off Listing Fees all month for 1- and 3-day Auction-style listings. It's a great way to sell single quantity and unique items and get a quick visibility boost in Best Match search.

PowerSellers: Double your discounts with free shipping: Free shipping works to boost sales and DSRs, buyers love it, and best of all double PowerSeller discounts are extended through March.

Get free Subtitle on all listings with free shipping. Offer extended through March.

List books, music, movies and DVDs, and video games for just 15¢--and get free Subtitle. This special offer on Fixed Price listings in these hot categories is extended through March.
NEW! Say goodbye to negative Feedback due to customs
We've taken steps to help protect sellers who ship globally from negative or neutral Feedback due to customs delays or customs fees. We'll now remove negative or neutral Feedback as long as your listing includes a clear message to buyers and the negative and neutral clearly calls out customs was the reason for the Feedback. Important: make sure your listings are up to date

* For Books, Music, DVDs & Movies and Video Games listings: Remove any references from your item descriptions to shipping charges that exceed the maximums. Listings in violation are now being taken down.
* Make sure your shipping charges reflect the new carrier rates: by January 5 for UPS and by January 18 for USPS.
* Remove any references to checks and money orders from your listing descriptions. Starting January 15 these listings will be taken down.
* If you are shipping globally, add customs "disclaimer" text to your description to help protect your Feedback.
* A return policy and handling time must be specified in your listings by mid-March.

Save time by making any needed updates to your listings at once. See the Seller Checklist for details and options for bulk editing. January rate changes announced by USPS® and UPS®
We update the rates in the shipping calculator at midnight on the day the changes take affect-January 5 for UPS, January 18 for USPS.

Good news: USPS® is introducing a new, smaller Priority Mail flat-rate box for the same rate as a flat-rate envelope. The new box will be available in listing flows starting in late January.
You're missing some news
You received this email because it includes information we're required to send all sellers. But our records indicate you are currently "opted out" of receiving "Seller email promotions." That means you're missing out on other important messages: advance notice of special discounts on listing fees, the official monthly seller newsletter with the latest updates and best practices, and other important seller advantages. Take a minute to opt in now so you don't miss out.

It's easy:

* Sign in to My eBay and click on the Account tab
* In the My eBay Views box on the left, click on Notification Preferences
* Scroll down to Promotions and Surveys (it's way at the bottom) and click "Show"
* Make sure all the boxes in this section are checked

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2009 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

nd4speed
01-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I almost never read these messages. They do not specifically say you must use PayPal, but I think the message is pretty clear.

I never thought of local pickup transactions.

I wonder if I can type "USD equivents for payment"?

hublake
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't sell on ebay, but that sure seems like alot of crap for somebody wanting to sell something once in awhile.

nd4speed
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
New Approved Payment Methods -- Moneybookers and Paymate
In February, we’ll be adding two new electronic payment methods to the permitted payments list in the Accepted Payments Policy: Moneybookers and Paymate. These are established payment methods that increase the safe choices available to our buyers and sellers, which currently include PayPal, credit and debit card payment to a seller’s merchant account, Propay or Pay on Pick-up. To learn more about these new payment methods, visit www.moneybookers.com/partners/us/ebay and www.paymate.com/eBay. Please note, Propay also plans to open up its payment service to all levels of Powersellers starting January 22. For more information about Propay, go to www.Propay.com/eBay

smvorndran
01-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I got the same email. Ebay must be run by Obama. I bet they're doing it so they can enforce taxes at a later time. Communist bastards. Craigslist is the way to go now.

smvorndran

grundlegrabber
01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Several years ago ebay bought paypal and now owns them. Ever since, they have been making subtle changes to make it less acceptable to accept other forms of payment, and promoting paypal as the best way to pay (about a year and a half ago they started taking down my auctions for saying that I would accept CASH!). This way, not only do they hose you to list your parts, rape you for more fees when you sell them, but they collect the 2 1/2 % when you accept the payment! Now paypal will be the only way to pay, so ebay has effectively grabbed complete control of every transaction made through the auction. Also notice how they are promoting free shipping. This is because they want sellers to raise their prices so they can get more of a cut (ebay doesn't get to charge their percentage on the shipping price). With shipping costs now higher than ever, it's not worthwhile for the average seller to list something with free shipping. You'd have to charge extremely high prices that would scare buyers away.

This whole deal sucks. Ebay was once a great place for people to trade hard-to-find parts. The recent policy and format changes have made it difficult as well as unprofitable for average people to sell their goods. The result has been that many sellers have left ebay, and the quality and quantity of stuff listed there has gone WAY down. I have tons of old bikes and three wheelers that I fix up and restore. I used to be able to find all kinds of parts for them on ebay. I bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of parts there every month. In the past 9 months, my average has been under $500 of purchases and under $250 in sales. Can't find what I need, and it's a huge hassle to sell. Since they changed the feedback system, I've had a big increase in buyers not paying for the auctions they win. There's no consequence if they don't pay. Can't leave negative feedback and ebay doesn't do anything about it.

This is just one more nail in the coffin for what was once the world's premiere online marketplace.

Where have all the people gone that were selling parts for my vintage bikes? ANybody know a better place to find parts? Other auction sites?

Blown 331
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
One good thing about ebay going to crap is I can now find good local deals again. It used to be that if someone had a bike for sale it would go to ebay to get the maximum price for it, which made good word of mouth deals hard to find. But with ebay being a less desirable place to sell I've been finding really good deals on local bikes again.
I buy from ebay quite frequently and the only time I sell is if it is something that I don't want at all and would pretty much just give away anyway. lol.

jason 32
02-26-2009, 05:29 AM
thats a great thing for ebayers!- there are to many ppl getting screwed out of money because they cant prove they sent a money order, -lost the stubbs ,ebay will not reimburse you

but it puts a burden on ppl because paypal are a$$es
yes i got screwed a couple years ago for 72 bucks cause i used a money order
also ebay wont make a claim on anything under 20.00! thats bulcrap

we need a new online auction house-- thats NOT SO D@MN GREEDY!!

ATCeeya
02-28-2009, 05:49 AM
I see some powersellers have in their auctions they will ONLY accept a money order for payment. I bought a pipe the other day and laughed because the seller said he didnt have paypal. There I was buying a money order which cost me another dollar and drive time rather than him losing probably 4 bucks out of the payment or something if we had gone through paypal.

I used to love ebay but they screwed me over recently for supposedly "violation" of an ebay policy which was complete BS. I went back and forth through emails with them and eventually told them I was discusted with them and would start using them to sell as a last option rather than first as I used to. ( a little bs on my part but still wanted them to know how much I thought they sucked) They were being greedy,unfair,and unreasonable and ripped me off in the process. ill leave it at that.

LonesomeTriZ
02-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Well, there goes all the parts I was going to sell of on ebay. Papypal locked my account for no reason. I never had an issue nor was I even warned. So I refuse to use Paypal at all. Soooo, I guess I am screwed.

The Goat
02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
am I the only one who doesn't really mind one way or the other? lol....just checking

I'd only sell on ebay before when I had something I couldn't easily part with, now I'll only sell on ebay if I have something I can't easily part with.

98 times out of 100 I'd rather sell to a guy on here.

I'll still buy on ebay.... A LOT

still has the best deals. I got my new axle for 200 bucks less than the closest competitor...and the seller was an authorized dealer so i get my warranty

LonesomeTriZ
02-28-2009, 08:42 AM
It matters if you are one of the thousands that have been screwed by Paypal.