PDA

View Full Version : I miss the outdoors...

Twilight
01-10-2009, 12:15 AM
I straight up miss being in the middle of nowhere. I miss living so far from a city, the nearest town was 4 hours away. I miss the sounds of nature, hunting for food, setting traps and just living on my own.

In australia, I lived about 4 hours from a city, 2 hours from anyone else. My mom and dad always left for months on end and I had homeschooling done by myself until I was 13. Anyway, I grew up in the bush. I never had a care in the world. When my parents would come back from their trips I would get food for months, water and cleaning supplies. My brother and sister stayed at home, but I was always going out and adventuring, sometimes wouldnt come home for weeks. I LOVED IT. When I was 11, I asked for a bow, my mom just wanted to get me a gun, but I said if not a bow, then a slingshot. I got both. I started hunting with the slingshot and the bow, hell I even fished with the bow. It was great. I killed my first fish just a few days after and although it was a small smelt... I felt like a king. In time I would kill larger fish, such as bass and cod. The largest being a skate I killed one night when I thought it was a lobster:crazy: I would also hunt on land and the biggest animal I took was a sheep (which lasted a week feeding my brother, sister and me). One winter, I stayed out there for 2 months trying to survive with just some matches, a bow, knife, spear i made, slingshot, sleepingbag and a pack of clothes... it was the best summer.

Then we all moved to WA here in the US. I had to go to school, and well after all these years, I miss the outdoors. I go out all the time in the summer and winter. But work requires me to come back, I am still pretty much a loner. My ex's family thought I was lieing until I showed them videos of it all and my mom telling them, then they thought I was crazy, everyone did.

I have been debating going back to Australia and just riding a dirtbike or a quad until im out of gas and then just staying out there for as long as I want, or even doing it here in the states.

Sounds crazy huh?

Russell 350X
01-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, and I thought I loved the outdoors:lol: I feel for ya man, I live in the sticks as well, nearest city is 45mins away. I lived in Cleveland for 2 years going to college, worst years of my life.

chris200x
01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Is this you? :D
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/untitled-2.jpg

I'd love to live like a hermit.. but I'd miss 3ww too much! :lol:

brapp
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
hey chris come on up dude!!!!

Twilight
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
=( that hurt my australian pride man... =( im gonna go out into the lil park, go in the mudd and stalk you down!!!

hehe

The Goat
01-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Damn that must have been a damned fun childhood...

Got any cool stories?

tbirdscott
01-11-2009, 06:53 AM
I only live an hour from the city, not far enough but I work in town. Saturday, on my way home. I had to stop on the road to watch two bald eagles mating in the blue sky over the trees waited down with fresh snow and mountains in the background. I couldn't help but think about how lucky I am. I cant survive in the city, I've tried.

Once my house is paid off I want to get acreage way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, build a cabin and try to disappear.

Scott

chris200x
01-11-2009, 08:21 AM
=( that hurt my australian pride man... =( im gonna go out into the lil park, go in the mudd and stalk you down!!!

hehe

You serious? Sorry if I offended bro.. just bein a dick... :rolleyes:

firehart
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Living here in southern Idaho is not too bad, Forests to the north, deserts to the south. And lots of free trails to ride on.

Twilight
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
You serious? Sorry if I offended bro.. just bein a dick... :rolleyes:

I was joking, no worries.

Yeah I got a few stories, one involved me falling down a cliff. When I get done with cooking dinner I will do a write up.

Groundworx
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
You miss the outdoors, I miss the Outdoor channel. My satelite co. did away with it.

Groundworx
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Is this you? :D
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/untitled-2.jpg

I'd love to live like a hermit.. but I'd miss 3ww too much! :lol:

That picture is helarious....

dickieg89
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
That picture is helarious....

Isnt that picture of the abariganee, spelled correctly, my spelling isnt as bad as brapps though, from quigly down under? Thats was a good austrailian movie.

Twilight
01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Might as well tell the story about a hunt gone bad. I was hunting in the woods with my dog, and there was a pig in the distance, I got out my bow and stalked until I was about 35 yards away. Finally I took the shot, hit it in the neck.. well it was actually the neck skin and just pissed it off, it ran after me and before I got a chance to even attempt and get my "spear" out it knocked me in the legs and I fell to the ground. Now unlike the pigs around here that I have seen, these are hairy and have big ass teeth and lil tusks. One tusk went into my knee tearing into it and with that it flung me a few feet. My dog was attacking it, but it still kept charging until I ran and called for me dog. I tried to jump into a stream to get some good distance and it got me before that, it rammed me again, i started to roll down the hill into the water, before I got there it stomped on me and started biting my arm as I tried to hit it, finally I remembered my knife and got her through the jaw into the brain.

Got out of the water and fell asleep (or passed out... not sure). Got up and it was dark out, my dog had been with me the whole time. I grabbed the pig and walked to my tent.

It was something I learned big time from and do NOT want to feel again. I had a broken rib, cracked kneecap, broken collarbone and a whole lot of cuts and scrapes. My dog had one lil cut, but she tore a chunk out of the pig!

The Goat
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Well that hurts. Damn.

And how big of a hog we talking here?