PDA

View Full Version : 95' xlt track swap help

hondahaulic
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Well its time to replace the track in a buddy's 95'ish? polaris xlt 600. This one has reverse and im having some trouble getting the chaincase cover off of the chaincase. I have all the bolts out and the cover is loose and moves around some, but its like there is something else preventing it from coming all the way off. My guess is its something with the reverse. Anybody got any ideas as to why the cover isnt coming off?

zmpolaristech
01-17-2009, 12:01 AM
disconnect all the reverse linkage, then, while your pulling UP and OUT on the cover, move the reverse lever down to remove the shift fork from the shift collar (reverse gear). hope this helps.

hondahaulic
01-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to work on it but that sounds exactly like what I needed to know. Assuming I get that off, where do I go from there? I already have the secondary clutch off, along with the ruined track and the whole rear skid.

Do I slide the track drive wheels to one side, and then drop the shaft out the bottom? This is the first track iv'e ever replaced so bear with me.

zmpolaristech
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
you will probably have to remove the inner chaincase from the chassis in order to get enough room to jocky the driveshaft out. it depends on how many drivers are on the drive shaft... any more than 2, and you will be pulling the chaincase.

hondahaulic
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Well the chaincase cover came off like you said it would and all the gears and chain came out easily. The driveshaft has 4 drivers, so the next step is to remove the entire chaincase? I'm guessing I will need to pull the bearing off the left end of the driveshaft also.

zmpolaristech
01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
yep, remove the chaincase assy., Remove the 3 bolts holding the bearing cap on the left side, and then jocky out the drive shaft. The bearings might have set screws holding them to the driveshaft. Good luck!

hondahaulic
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all your help, it came out exactly as you said. Now i'm just waiting for the owner to pick up the parts it needs and it can go back together. Are there any key tips on assembly? It looks like it should be pretty straight forward.

zmpolaristech
01-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Just be careful not to ruin the upper and lower chaincase seals when you reinstall the case, center the shafts before getting carried away. make sure you reinstall both shafts evenly, or the case will bind up. if done properly, you should be able to seet the case back on the shafts with a few taps of a rubber mallot. Some will "fall" back together, but some will fight you tooth and nail! Glad I could be of some help, JON