PDA

View Full Version : Am I legal to ride?

hondahaulic
01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Well here is my situation. My drivers license has been temporarily suspended due to an OWI (100% my fault, I know.). I am a snowmobiler, and because of my license suspension I can't drive a car or snowmobile across a road, or within the right of way of a highway.

The area I live in has very few dedicated snowmobile trails, so the road ditches are the usual place to snowmobile along with river and lake riding. It would be awesome if I can still ride the river legally, so thats what I'm trying to figure out.

I asked the DOT my question about riding on the river, and their reply was that it is a question for the DNR and the DOT does not have anything to do with it. I then went to the state DNR website, and read the online 52 page DNR Snowmobile Handbook. It didn't say that I could not ride, but it also didn't say that I could. It did clearly explain all other snowmobile laws and operator restrictions, so I assumed I was in the clear to ride.

After reading the DNR handbook, I emailed the DNR and their reply was that I cannot. Does this seem legit? My arguement is that me riding on the river would be OK with the DOT, and I am not violating anything in the DNR snowmobile handbook. Also, the DNR didn't give me a reason for their responce and gave me no details on the subject.

sorry for the lengthy read, and I put this in the open forum rather than the snowmobile forum because my question isn't really about an actual snowmobile.

300rman
01-26-2009, 07:04 PM
just one question...

WTF is the difference between a DUI, DWI, OWI, DWD, and the others?
ill bet they all carry the same hefty fines and punishments, so what determines which acronym is thrown at you?

hondahaulic
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I had that same question and I have learned a lot about them over the last few months lol. Its mostly just what different states feel like calling them, and here in Iowa you get OWI's instead of DWI's. I'm not sure, but I think DUI may have more to do with being under the influence of drugs instead of alcohol.

DixiePlowboy
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
I had . Its mostly just what different states feel like calling them, and here in Iowa you get OWI's instead of DWI's. I'm not sure, but I think DUI may have more to do with being under the influence of drugs instead of alcohol.

Terminology and acronyms do vary state to state. In Alabama, DUI is applied to driving under the influence of ANY intoxicant. Also, in Alabama highway driving convictions/charges have nothing whatsoever to do with precluding one from operating off-road vehicles off of the highway.

hondahaulic
01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
in Alabama highway driving convictions/charges have nothing whatsoever to do with precluding one from operating off-road vehicles off of the highway.

Thats the same way it seems to be here. The DOT doesnt care, the DNR handbook doesnt say anything about a drivers license, but an email reply from someone from the DNR says no without any backup support. Am I out of line to question the DNR's responce?

RAGDOLL MX
01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
why would you need a lic. to ride a snowmobile?...and on a frozen river none the less....

its like having to have a license to ride a quad in the dunes.

Mosh
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Here in Ohio,They used to be DUI or DWI. Driving under the influence, or DRIVING while intoxicated....

Many found loopholes with attorneys.
They were on pedal bicycles, lawn mowers or what not, and loop holed out of the "DRIVING" portion becuase they were not in a car...

So the State attorney said OK, fine...Re wrote the laws....

They changed it to OWI or OPERATING under the influenece...
This was so no matter what, you were in or on, if you were drinking, they could pin you with it....
In Ohio, if you are on anything with wheels and or a engine, or, if you are Amish, and driving a horse and buggy While drinking, you get a OWI...
Most states have adopted this set-up, so it leaves NO loopholes.

Now, I dont know how it is in your state, but here, You have to have a Drivers license, that is unsuspended, and VALID to operate any ATV or OHV, let alone a moped or motorcycle or car...

Wheter the ATV or Sled in question is valid with stickers does not matter...You better have a valid license, or you are busted.

If your state pinned you with OWI....
I am willing to bet, that anything you operate on state owned land or public roads will get you busted again.Sober or not...
That is how it works here.

hondahaulic
01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah I know for sure Im not legal to operate anything on the road or snowmobile in the ditch alongside the road. As far as operate anything on state land, I cannot find the law. Is there any other place I could look for the laws and read them myself other than talking to a person?

Mosh
01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
That would vary to your state.

I know most of our state parks, or rangers,can check you anytime for a operators license..
When you loose them here, you loose ALL operating priviledges.
If no one can answer that directly, then personally I would not take the chance directly to have more fines and vehicle impounds.

I would call the local State Trooper or, county sheriff's office.They may be able to clarify that for you.
It will be up to the local officer's discretion, as to whether to site you or not.
If some one gives you the Okay, I would get their name at least or drive down to get it in writing.
Once you get busted twice here, you better buy good shoes, or a yearly bus pass.
You aint dirving nothing for a LONG time!

Edit....
For instance...If I get busted drinking while on my ATV, that is state ceritified, I loose my drivers license...And Vice versa..

hondahaulic
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
yeah we actually did try calling once. The county sheriff tranfered us to the state DOT, they transfered us to the DNR, they told us to go back to the DOT, and then we were put on hold for 25 minutes or so before giving up. It seemed like nobody we talked to wanted to help out. Truthfully I guess they don't have a lot of incentive to help me out tell me yes, if the law is iffy theyr'e not gonna want to help out the 18 year old with an OWI.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Same here man, I am going through the DUI process. I only loose my license for 60 days, but my CDL for a year. Second one is lifetime revocation of CDL. I will never have even a sip and drive again.

As far as operating a sled/atv, I dont see why you cant. Here in PA you dont need a license to operate an ORV, it's not illegal for people under 16 to ride and they dont have licenses. You just have to cross roadways at a 90 degree angle. As far as your not operating on the roadway you should be fine, and if you do and get caught, you should only be fined for operating a non-road licensed vehicle, but that may clash with your probation.

Things could be different in your state though. Keep on them and you'll find someone with half a brain.

Macs
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
just one question, why would any of those departments care if your on a frozen lake????? To me that would be the same as needing a drivers license to operate a boat.

By the way, if i tried to ride on a lake here i would drown!

hondahaulic
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah this OWI thing is really being a bigger pain that I first thought it would be. I got the Odub way back in last august when I was 17, so the fines aren't quite as bad for a minor but still nothing small. I am still fighting it hoping to get off on a technicality. I have been on temporary licenses off and on since I got it and I had to take a substance abuse evaluation and a class for drinking drivers. I got community service too, almost done with that. My lawyer fees will probably exceed 4 grand, and still my attorney estimates that I have a 60-70% chance of winning the case.

SWIGIN
01-27-2009, 06:36 PM
i can understand not wanting to get into more touble but you got busted for drinking and driveing......should of put a little more thought into that.

rdlsz24
01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
just one question, why would any of those departments care if your on a frozen lake????? To me that would be the same as needing a drivers license to operate a boat.

By the way, if i tried to ride on a lake here i would drown!

Here in IL you can get a DUI if you're drunk driving your boat lol. Happens all the time.

Rob

hondahaulic
01-28-2009, 01:03 AM
i can understand not wanting to get into more touble but you got busted for drinking and driveing......should of put a little more thought into that.

well your obviously right, I didnt really ever worry about getting into trouble before it happened. I wasnt the kind that gets into much. A or B honor roll consistently, never tried any drugs, and maybe the worst thing Ive gotten caught for before that was a 10 over speeding ticket. I thought what a lot of other people do.... "it will never happen to me". Now I really gotta watch everything I do, unlike before when the little stuff wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah this OWI thing is really being a bigger pain that I first thought it would be. I got the Odub way back in last august when I was 17, so the fines aren't quite as bad for a minor but still nothing small. I am still fighting it hoping to get off on a technicality. I have been on temporary licenses off and on since I got it and I had to take a substance abuse evaluation and a class for drinking drivers. I got community service too, almost done with that. My lawyer fees will probably exceed 4 grand, and still my attorney estimates that I have a 60-70% chance of winning the case.

How are you paying fines and community service already when the case isnt over yet?

hondahaulic
01-28-2009, 03:03 AM
I haven't had to pay the fines yet, but if I loose in court I know they will be less than if I was an adult when I got the owi. my attorney said it would be good to go ahead and sign an informal adjustment agreement and thats how I ended up with a probation officer that gave me community service, had me get a substance abuse evaluation, and take the drunk driving class. I wouldn't have HAD to do those things, but if I get convicted now I already have them done. It supposedly will also make me look good in court and show that i'm being responsible for my actions if I've got a bunch of the stuff done and out of the way beforehand without being told to do so.