PDA

View Full Version : question about emissions?

DarkestGKnight
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
im about to buy a camaro and she said the only thing wrong is it wont pass inspection becasue of emissions how do i fix this problem?

seddon
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
o2 senor or the catalitice convert

DarkestGKnight
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
oh ok thanks man.

fabiodriven
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Dude, it could be anything. Just saying it's an O2 sensor from the other side of a computer is easy.

I'm not even going to give you a checklist because there are soooo many things that could happen to make your vehicle fail emissions. I am a mechanic and also a class "A" commercial inspector for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and all I do every day is inspections.

Get yourself an experienced mechanic with a scan tool and diagnose the car.

tanks350x
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm assuming that the car is not fuel injected. An unproperly adjusted carb can make it fail as well.. But take fabios advice and get it scanned, because you could be changing parts that you don't need to

seddon
02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
i was just trying to give him a starting point srry that i did not say that

The Goat
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
slip your inspector 20 bucks...committ the crime...keep on rolling. DONE

DarkestGKnight
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
its a 1988 camaro so im pretty sure it has a carburator

fabiodriven
02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
slip your inspector 20 bucks...committ the crime...keep on rolling. DONE

In Mass your car would be exempt from emissions but even if it wasn't, there is no way to "outsmart" the new Mass state emissions test. Once the computer is hooked up to test there is no way around it. It's either pass or fail.

The Goat
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
and if there is a good vehicle around that's guaranteed to pass?

...I let my car be hooked to the computer in place of my friends riced out eclipse because he had no chance of passing.

can yall do that up there or no?

Mosh
02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
All I do for a living for the last 17 years, is diagnose emissions failures and driveability problems on cars..

If the 88 Camaro is a Stock V-8, It will be fuel injected..
There are to many readings that could be causing the failure.

Hi
NOx
Hi Hydrocarbons
too hi CO2..

I would need to see the printout to point you in the right direction.
It could be anything from a failed Cat Converter,02 sensor, Malfunctioning EGR system, Lean or Rich Fuel injector, Vacumn leaks ETC.

Trying to have it diagnosed on the net is futile,especially with no readings to go by.
Test drive the car before you buy it, take it to a GOOD tech,and have it diagnosed.
Not AutoZone, Not Billy Bob the back yarder.Those guys will just have you throwing money at it.
You could end up with a car you cant get plated without spending tons of money on it.
Have it checked out,before you buy it.

DarkestGKnight
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
ok thank you im gonna do that. will the place do it right on the spot? or am i gonna have to wait?

BOB MARLIN
02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
It depends on the state you live in. Here in california it has to pass the test and
a visual inpection. If it is missing just one of the stickers under the hood they will
fail it even if it passes the "sniff" test.

In some states you can pay a "gross polluter fee" of about $300 and your good.
Just make some calls to your local smog authorities and find out the rules.

fabiodriven
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
and if there is a good vehicle around that's guaranteed to pass?

...I let my car be hooked to the computer in place of my friends riced out eclipse because he had no chance of passing.

can yall do that up there or no?

Nope. We only emmisions test 96 and up here and we do it through the OBDII port. When the machine is hooked up to the car it reads the cars VIN through the car's computer. If you hook up another car it'll boot ya or fail ya. I've never tried.

Mosh
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Here in Ohio, we still test them back to 1975.
We put them on the dynometer, and run a 5 gas sample test, at the tailpipe at loaded speeds.We also pressurize the fuel tank vapor system and gas cap to check for vapor leaks.

But we only test 5 counties.

OBD2 and up get a readiness test thru the Diagnostic connector.

Some states have private test stations, Like PA,and some others.Those would probaly offer you diagnosis if you fail.
Most state test centers are govt run,and will not diagnose the problem.

Most states just have test centers.You would have to go to a repair shop to have it diagnosed.

Here, we charge $79.95 for a failure diagnosis.

DarkestGKnight
02-05-2009, 07:20 PM
i live in long island newyork anyone know the tests here?