PDA

View Full Version : 500R Radiator hose route?? Pics??

sand slinger
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I saw my frame tonight and it looks so sick. It is still at the fab shop but it is coming along very well and I will have it back soon and will post pics. I took ideas from all your projects and gave them to my fab guy and he definately made it happen. Now I am wondering how you guys routed all the coolant hoses. I had a hard time seeing the route in your pictures and was wondering if anybody could post pics without the plastics or maybe if you have any pics that show the hoses better. Also has anybody had any overheating issues using the 250R radiators? Is the capacity really that much less than the 500 ones?

Billy Golightly
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
the 500 ones are quite a bit bigger. Their probably another 2.5/3inches longer in height then the 250R ones. Width and thicknesses are about the same.

Hoses...are a little bit tricky. Not because of the routing, but because of the step ups and downs in sizes. I went to Napa and scrounged around for about 2 hours and got what I needed. I meant to save the part #s when I got them but I forgot to, and I don't have any idea what they are now. The biggest problem is that all the water spigots on the 500R motor are a larger diameter then the 250R. So you need small diameter hoses to go onto the radiators, that step up to a larger diameter on the ends that go onto the motor. The one that goes from the bottom right rad down to the waterpump was the easiest for me to find. The problematic one was the big long one that goes from the top of the left rad, down under and around the gas tank mounds, and into the top of the head. Getting one long enough and with the right bends in it was tricky, but I did make it happen. My best advice is to when everythings done and put together, leave the tank off, haul the bike to a store like Napa or whoever has a large selection of heater hoses, and get out your tape and figure out what diameters you need and then just dig through their assortment until you find something that looks like it'll fit, go try it. If it dont work, bring it back in and get another. Thats pretty much how I went about it.

KASEY
02-12-2009, 08:55 PM
i used all the stock 250r hoses.... the one from the head to the radiator is the stock 250r one turned over and a little cut off of it,,, i only used one of the top ones off the head... NO issues in 6 years,,, only when the ambient temp gets above 95 degrees then it runs a little hot,,, ... i will see if i can find any picts,,,, if not i am going to do the clutch someday and i will take picts then,,,

jeffatc250r
02-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I too also used the stock hoses, only thing i bought was a cap to block off one of the head spouts. Ive never had a overheating problem.