PDA

View Full Version : The realities of buying a deuce

fabiodriven
02-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Just so people know, buying retired military equipment from the gov't isn't just a walk in the park. As some of you might know, I just bought a retired deuce and a half from uncle sam. I was excited and I posted pics of the truck along with what I paid for it. In doing so I unintentionally skrewed a fellow boardmember by making it look cheaper and easier to go right to uncle sam for your own deuce needs as opposed to buying from a private party. There are a few things that need to be understood here. Yes, I did pay less for my deuce initially, however, there are taxes, fees, tons of paperwork, background checks, titling, and transport, just to name a few issues. Trucks are cheaper up north where I live, mostly because of their exposure to the elements. A truck from Georgia will sell for $1000 or more than a truck from NY. And plan on dropping at least $600 in transport and another 500+ in taxes, fees and titling. There are a few reasons why a deuce directly from uncle sam worked out good for me that make my particular case special.

I have access to a tractor trailer.

I live in the north where the trucks are cheaper.

I am and have been intent on getting a deuce for a long time and money is not an issue for me. I'm by no means rich, but I am truly committed to getting a deuce. It's not something you can just go out and buy. There is alot of time, money, and work involved.

The bottom line is, there are very special circumstances that have allowed me to get a deuce at a fairly obtainable price, and the prices you see for one already in private hands are more than reasonalble with all things considered.

200xman
02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Well said John. There is a guy near me that occasionally deals with used military vehicles and he just got in a batch of the ton and a 1/4 chevy's with the diesels. He is selling them for $3500 and isn't making a ton on them. He paid around $1500 for each truck but the came from a few different places so by the time he added in the fees and trucking he was close to the asking price.

LonesomeTriZ
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
That is the issue we are facing. We have to sell off our fleet of deuces but cannot make a profit becuase of all the unforseen cost.

brapp
02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
i woudl loev to ahve oen for aroudn the property mostly a quarry/ wood truck.

LonesomeTriZ
02-14-2009, 06:46 PM
They are great trucks for that.

Daddio
02-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I had some machine work done and while I was there picking up the parts I got to BSing with the guy and he said that he had a project that I may want to check out. We went out back and he showed me his deuce and a half. It was viietnam era with a full machine shop inside. It was awesome and looked like new. He said that it was rare because it never got shipped out and had only been used by the national guard. :cool:

jason85atc250r
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
i was just at the U Pull It salvage yard in New Ringold PA and they have the front half of a duece sitting there with the engine aand tranny stuff intact. it's a newer one with a strait 6 diesel

justing letting anyone know who may want it for parts.

LonesomeTriZ
02-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Dueces are great trucks. I doubt I will be able to keep any of the ones I baught recently, but I do plan a nice biuld with an early GMC from the early 50's. However, getting one from the governement is no simple task. As fabiodriven pointed out it is easier and usually cheaper to buy from a private seller.

yyz4208@aol.com
02-15-2009, 11:15 AM
would it help any if you registered nys dealer?
I see the trucks at at fort drum , could I just put a dealer tag on it and drive off?

LonesomeTriZ
02-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I know some one who tried that before in ALabama and he was told no. I do know people who have driven them home, I just do no tknow how they did it. That depends a lot on the state and base laws. Besides, driving one home is a very bad idea. These trucks have sat for a long time before being sold. You have no idea what to expect even if they do start.

yyz4208@aol.com
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I do not even need a title for one to drive on the road. I can just put the tag on it . I wouldnt drive it home just off the base onto a flat bed . I did that with a integra gsr for awhile couldnt get title

LonesomeTriZ
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
One issue is on most bases you have to have insurance in order to drive anything on base. If the vehicle you are picking up does not have insurance, you better bring a flat bed.