PDA

View Full Version : Lift kit questions

smvorndran
02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I put a set of larger tires on my wife's Foreman, and when I use the plow, the tires rub the front fenders. I was looking at the Moose kits that raise the quad 2". One person that was selling them on ebay was upfront in saying that it actually accelerates driveline wear. Nobody else will make that claim, as they want to sell you the item. I guess it only makes sense that a lift kit would increase the angles of the CV shafts and rear u-joint. Has anybody here ever had failure of these components without having ripped boots? It seems to me that a CV shaft would run forever if the boot stays intact. I need to lift it to run these tires, but don't want to put new CV shafts in every year.

Thanks,
smvorndran

MTS
02-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Iv replaced ALOT of diff's and CV's on big lifted quads, the big tires and lifts are harder on everything, most of it is guys being plain stupid, boggin it right down and hammering on it in the mud ect, either the belt lets go or the cv's snap, gorilla axles are a step up but iv still replaced quite a few snaped ones. my advice, run a fairly agressive stock size, or close tire, tire chains work wonders for snow plowing.

RedRider_AK
02-22-2009, 05:29 AM
I ran a Moose 2" lift for the better part of one fall and all of one winter (around 5 months total time), running the quad every day, pretty much. It also had 27" tires on it. Quad was a Big Bear 400 with a straight-axle rear end... in the middle of winter I found a torn CV boot on the front, replaced it, had no problems after that at all.

It does accelerate wear on the drivetrain though, the joints are under a bigger angle (you would think that accelerates wear)... As far as "lifting", it really doesn't do that much. Of course, mine was taller than a stock quad, but not by a lot, and the lift doesn't give you 2" more, maybe an inch at the most, after you factor in sag...

smvorndran
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Our machines only get ridden once or twice a month, other than plowing. My wife babies the thing. It seems like it would take a while to wear this thing out, but I agree, the increased angle would wear things quicker. The tires only rub when I lift the plow, which loads the front end. Is there any way to increase spring preload, or replace the springs on the front shocks so it doesn't give as much when I lift the plow?

By the way, I put on 28" Super Swampers, so they're considerably larger.

smvorndran

RedRider_AK
02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
High Lifter makes extra-stiff "lift springs" that reduce sag when you load the racks, I think you can get away with those.

ditchmud
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I have an '01 wolverine about 5 years ago I put larger more aggressive tires on it (GBC Dirt Devils). I loved the newer found traction but it has come at a cost. I have had to put new bearings in the front axles and back as well as the diffs. The added weight and the vibration from the lug pattern has put an undo stress in these areas. Just my opinion and I feel this way about trucks with big knarly tires on them too because of my experience with the same.