PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pipe Question

magicman21
02-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi, I'm a new member so I just want to say that I really enjoy this forum, it's awesome. I am getting the ball rolling on a new project and had a question.

The project is a Tri-Z with a YZ465 in it, it's a pretty simple swap from what iv found on this site but I don't want to run the stock style pipe. I know 2 stroke pipes are tuned for the displacement and other factors but was wondering if one could "retro fit" so to speak, a tri-z pipe or maybe a CR500 pipe or something to that effect? My goal with this bike is to have a quick sand trike for hill climbs and drags, not the fastest but fun. A buddy of mine says he'd like to build a pipe but we have no idea what factors decide the length, diameter, or any other dimensions that would matter. Any help would be appreciated even if it's regarding an out of frame drag pipe, as I'm not entirely against it if it is my only feasible option.

Billy Golightly
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
You can do a search for my CR500/ATC250R conversion for a little bit more info...but I just took a regular CR500 pipe and cut, and angled it until it did fit. That way it retained the original length, diamters, and tapers. They just snaked around in different paths. The most important thing is to remember to make your bends GRADUAL. don't cut and angle a piece more then maybe an inch and a half at a time. The pipe has to retain a round flowing shape and not have any corners or abrupt places in it.

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=602778&postcount=86
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=602952&postcount=91

I did mine with a hacksaw and a tig welder. if your competent with an oxy/acctylene setup you can weld it with that too. Thats the prefered method by most of the custom pipe builders actually.

I do also have a pipe designing program, that will give you the parameters necessary to build your own pipe. I'll need some specs from your engine but I'll run them and post the results if your interested.

magicman21
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'd definatly be interested in that, just tell me what you need and if I don't know it I'll find it. I was thinking along the same lines as you were when you built the pipe you linked but the 465 pipe is one of the tall pipe I guess you'd call it where on the dirt bike it routes just to the lower outside of the tank. I'm not terribly fond of that look. so I'm hoping to figure out a way to make a more modern style pipe work or just make my own. Again I really appreciate any help.