PDA

View Full Version : May I ask a question about air compressors?

Hoosier_Daddy
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I have noticed recently that air compressors with two smaller tanks, instead of the traditional single tank, are become increasingly popular. I was checking into them and the dual tanks have the same gallon capacity (divided up by the two tanks) and all other aspects are the same as compared to the same grade of single tank so my question is, what is the purpose of the dual tanks? Is it an advantage? What are disadvantages?

Hoosier_Daddy
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Here is what I mean.

traditional air compressor

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/2/7/00000110327-CampbellHausfeldSingleStage20gallonAirCompressorVT 6290-large.jpeg

versus twin stack air compressor

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ch-bonus-kit.jpg

Dirtcrasher
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Those are "quick recovery" where it can maintain a greater pressure and cycle on and off quickly. They usually run nail guns....

They would definitely not be good for sandblasting but fine for other air tools and there easy to store.....

Hoosier_Daddy
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Those are "quick recovery" where it can maintain a greater pressure and cycle on and off quickly. They usually run nail guns....

They would definitely not be good for sandblasting but fine for other air tools and there easy to store.....
Thanks for that info.

I need a new air compressor and was wondering what to get. Most of the stuff i do is die grinders, cut off tools, air ratchets stuff like that. I rarely would use it to paint and i have no equipment for sand blasting. So if the twin stack is better for the regular air tools then i think i'll pick one up.

Dirtcrasher
02-27-2009, 01:49 PM
It's all about the SCFM's....

Air ratchets and die grinders use a TON of air so make sure you get the right size compressor to run them based on MFG's recommendations.

Hoosier_Daddy
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
It's all about the SCFM's....

Air ratchets and die grinders use a TON of air so make sure you get the right size compressor to run them based on MFG's recommendations.Will do. Thanks

rdlsz24
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
To run air tools I think you need to look at one of those big upright ones on wheels. I have been tempted to buy one of the little ones for the time being but I am am holding out until I have the space and cash for a big one.

Rob

hublake
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
If you do much with die grinders and tools like that you need one with a lot more capacity. Look at the label, it usually tells what tools you can use with it.

Russell 350X
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I had one of those twin tank compresors in the back of my old work truck, that thing was the biggest POS I've ever used. I ran 1/2,3/8 impacts, die grinders, cut off wheels, etc...that thing just coundnt keep up.

Just like this one...\/

tanks350x
02-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I have one of those dual "TANK" jobs :lol:. The guy I got it from was throwing it away, and didn't even know if it ran or not.. Got it home plugged it in and wa la worked like a charm... The only thing about it is, it doesn't have the volume and capacity that I'd like. But if it's free, it's for me :naughty: That's the thing, bigger tank, equals more vulume of air

SWIGIN
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
for running air tools i wouldn't look at anything smaller then 60gal

Yamada
02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
At the farm we have a 40 gal/5 hp air compressor. Seriously I think it is just big enough to use a die grinder. This thing is huge. I'm able to empty the tank with the die grinder in 2 minutes of use. I'm sure I would cry having one of those smaller CH unit. I'll try to post somes pics.

carscomefirst
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
running die grinders, das, and almost any sander 2stage 80 gal tank