PDA

View Full Version : anyone here work on boats?

evand
02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
well i just got my first inboard boat from a friend. its a 1990 sunbird corsair 185 with a 4.3 chevy v6 the interior needs a redo, but its a solid boat with low hours and lots of new parts. and it was free:beer BUT he left it out side uncoverd and now its full of ice lol, it didnt crack the hull or get into the motor just a big mess to clean up... iv had a bunch or out bored boats but this is my first inbored.

the onlything it realy needs a is a starter, i think i read somewhere that boat motors run backwards? so i take it i cant put a started out of a 4.3 blazer or somehting in it? and does anyone know and specifics about sunbird boats? anything to look out for?

thanks guys

Evan

Saul
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I read the thread title and thought you meant 'work on boats' as in a deckhand or skipper aboard a boat.

meh.

Macs
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Some engines do work in reverse it depends on the manufacture, year and outdrive. I am 99% sure sunbird boats use a mercruiser outdrive which has the normal rotation so all car parts will work. But keep in mind. Cars are built to constantly change rpm's and boats are built for constant rpm's. So car parts might not last as long.

wheelie king
03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
That is acutally an I/O setup- or inboard/outboard. The engine is in the boat and the outdrive is on the back and mounted to the transom. The boat you have likely has an Alpha One Mercruiser outdrive which is a popular rig with many parts available. Working on them sucks, and is expensive.

Do not hi-jack chevy parts for that motor. Use mercury/mercruiser parts. More money, but a right fit.

Look for hull and cap separation, as in any boat like that. your floor is prolly wood, also, and better hope that ethanol in gas has not ruined the gas tank that is below the floor (becuase your gas tanks is likely plastic). Be careful if you are cutting or drilling or running screws into the floor.

If you have to strip the floor out for rot, put an aluminum tank in it.

Good luck.

outtaline
03-02-2009, 04:22 AM
don'tlet these guys get you down if you are in fresh water put in the chevy starter I've had one in my ski boat for five year $175 cheaper works fine p.s. mines in salt water rusted up bad still works

wheelie king
03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
p.s. mines in salt water rusted up bad still works

my point exactly (still works- for now). Not marine grade and therefore will not last like ....oh yeah, a marine grade starter would. And if a Merc starter was THAT much more expensive, someone was trying to rip you off. Stay away from the dealers and boatyards. Order the parts of the net or direct from the manuf. and save some $. Not trying to "get anyone down" but rather provide an honest evaluation and some feedback, which I believe is what the poster asked for.

Don't confuse rudeness with honesty.

JohnR.
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Just an FYI on the differences between a boat and car starter motor. A friend of mine worked for a starter/alternator rebuilding shop and he rebuilt the starter that was in my boat for 10 years and he gave me the inside info on it. The only difference is a couple of rubber seals that go in the marine unit and 90% of the reason for those seals is to keep gas fumes out of the starter solenoid where a spark could cause an explosion. An auto one will work but if you hunt around on ebay the marine ones are cheap enough now that it isn't really worth it to fool around with using a automotive one. I don't know about salt water but having lived near a lake and around boats all my life the reason starters usually go is because the boat has flooded at some point and the starter got submerged. When that happens even a marine one will die within a year or so after that.

John

outtaline
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
John R I don't have an engine box because mine was a race skiff get the marine one or you can start fire didn't think about that sorry building a new boat now will post pics as soon as I get back on my feet