PDA

View Full Version : New camera suggestions??

Dirtcrasher
02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm layed off, broke and don't want to spend more than about 150$.

But, today was my breaking point. I spent 2 days on some 350X guards, took pics and they came up blank. I HATE KODAK - I have had nothing but problems with this camera and another of the same brand. I will not buy another KODAK.

So, anyhow, I have a nice camcorder, I just need a reliable camera for pictures......

Could you suggest one that works well?? and one that the battery actually lasts and recharges properly within it's docking station?? A model # would be great, then I can search for a decent cost.

Thank you so much for any help!!

DC

Saul
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I can tell you NOT to buy a Fujifilm brand camera. We've had two that broke when the zoom mechanism broke. Ugh.

Dammit!
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I can't recommend anything current since my camera is getting pretty old now. Just wanted to comment on the brand basically. It's a Panasonic LC40 Lumix. I've had it for... 5 or 6 years now I think? Hell maybe more. Hard to remember. Anyway, the thing has been solid as a rock and completely impervious to sand (sand getting a camera and locking up the lens gears is a common problem for duners). The battery charge lasts for a LONG time. I only charge it every couple of months of sporadic use. The picture quality is decent but the new cameras available now blow it away in that regard.

My biggest gripe is the lack of an infrared range finder for focusing in low light. The auto focus is also pretty slow by todays standards.

ditchmud
03-01-2009, 12:25 AM
i've got a sony cybershot (model #dsc-h10) and it is awesome!

The Goat
03-01-2009, 01:58 AM
dc...my old sony ericson w810i phone had a great flash and took amazing pictures. it was only 2 megapixel...but it had a 2 gig card, and here's the kicker, standby time with the screen on....4 days. that's 4 days of SOLID use.

they can be picked up new for 60 bucks or so.

prolly not what you were looking for, but on a budget it's not bad at all.

racerxxx
03-08-2009, 12:39 AM
DC,

I sure the price point is way out but we have a Nikon D-40 (around 450 or so). It's a digital SLR, basically a digital 35mm camera---It's down right awesome. It's 6 MP, more than you'll ever need, the only reason you would need more is if your enlarging over 11X13 pics. We bought it christmas 2007, and I kid you not we have only charged it about 6-7 times total (mabey once every couple months). We have 2 kids and my wife is a bit of a pic-o-haulic, I think since 2007 we have logged about 1800 pics(probably more) with out fail. It uses SD cards for memory, it's considered an entry level DSLR but it can hang with camera twice it's price no problem. If your use to a point and shoot camera you know you will almost always miss your action shot but not with this, hold the button down and it sounds like a machine gun, just taking frame after frame. Great for trike action shots. It's a breeze to use but is much more cumbersome than a P&S. As for charging it's a snap, pop out the batt and slide it in the cradle light tells you when it's done. Pic down load you can either remove the flash card and plug it in you pc(if that's an option), or use a usb cable (provided), easy.

We started with a Sony DSC-P8 and loved it but it eventually got slow, and dropped in sand. It still works and we let our 4 y.o. son use it, it's crazy looking at life in his perspective thru his pictures, a laugh a minute! So as far as that camera goes we loved it for as long as we used it--probably about 3-3.5 years and well over 5000 pictures and it's still ticking. But now with the DSLR camera I'll never go back to a P&S camera you will be amazed. And no I don't work for Nikon:lol:

Best of luck with you purchase, sell enough of those DC edition headlight guards and you'll be there in no time.

Racerxxx

Twilight
03-08-2009, 03:10 AM
I have a Nikon D70, got it in a pawn shop for 100.00... check pawn shops for sony cybershots, all are usually good.

Howdy
03-08-2009, 07:34 AM
I just bought a Polaroid ( model ? ) at wally world for $90, I also got a 2 gig sd card, and a usb battery charger with 2 rechargable AA batteries. Cost was under $130 total.
8 mp, a 2 g sd card holds over 500 pics, and you can even take some video with it ( haven't used this feature yet ). I purchased this camera to replace the Polaroid digital camera ( PC640 ) I have had since 2001. It was a 1.6 MP and uses 8mb card ( held 45 pictures on the best setting and 150 or so on the worst ). The old camera cost more than the new one. lol

Never really had a problem with quality going Polaroid, so I decided to stick with them for this camera as well. Hopefully I get 8 years out of it like the last one.
Howdy
With the new camera the pictures are really good.

hublake
03-08-2009, 08:12 AM
My only suggestion would to get one with a view finder. I had one that had only the LCD and in bright sun you could not see what you were aiming at very good. Now have a Canon Power Shot A460. Works good.

Howdy
03-08-2009, 08:24 AM
My only suggestion would to get one with a view finder. I had one that had only the LCD and in bright sun you could not see what you were aiming at very good. Now have a Canon Power Shot A460. Works good.

That would be a good idea!! I didn't get one with a view finder because it was / is mainly for taking pics of parts at the shop. Here is a link to the camera I got:
http://www.polaroid.com/CES/ProductDetail.jsp?folder_id=2534374302037091&prod_code=PW104

i836: 8.0 Megapixel Digital Camera with 2.7" TFT LCD Display

Specifications
8.0 megapixel resolution
2.7" bright color TFT LCD for previewing images before you shoot
3x optical zoom
4x digital zoom
ISO rating: Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
16MB built-in storage

Features
Still image compression in JPEG (EXIF 2.2), DCF, DPOF, AVI, TIFF
Takes video clips with audio
Audio tag lets you tag audio to any image
AV output
SD compatible for expanded memory
20 scene modes for customized images with 16:9
Dynamic contrast enhancer
Off/auto/fill flash
Auto white balance settings
Anti-shake image stabilization
Face tracking for perfect faces in your pictures
In-camera red-eye removal
Electronic self timer
PictBridge compatible
PC & Mac compatible

tanks350x
03-08-2009, 09:40 AM
DC, the one that I use is a SAMSUNG Digimax 430, it's not a bad piece at all
30 frame VGA
PictBridge
MULTI slot SD/MS DUO
4.0 mega pixels
It's the one that I use on all of our rides, It takes descent pics. and vids

edog
03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
All my pictures have been taken with a Kodak. I have had 2 in 5 years. I just got this one in black. http://search.kodak.com/?pq-locale=en_US&global=en&q=cd1013
The first one had the chit beat out of it. Dropped it in water ounce. Dropped it on the ground. Stopped working once took it all apart and fixed it.

SeaBass8
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
I've had a Fujifilm Finepix Z for a little over a year.

Pros-
Relatively inexpensive - About 175$
Its small. Fits easily into your pocket
10 Megspixel pics. (although not actually that big)
Video with a touch of a button
Easy menu settings

Cons-
Limited zoom
Once you start taking vid you can not move the zoom
Not a ton of features. But all the basics you need.

I think a big part of getting a good camera is getting the one that fits your purpose. We wanted small form factor with video.

The SD cards are really cheap. We got 2GB for 15$.

I prolly woulda bought a Sony if I had more $$$ to spend but the Fuji is a nice little camera.

Good luck!

smokinwrench
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I recomend Fugi. We bougth one several years and it has been great, only complaint it ate batteries really fast.

For Christmas I got my wife a new camera, its a Fugi Fine Pic Z, it is awesome. The best thing is it has a rechargeable battery pack that lasts forever.

Howdy
03-08-2009, 11:56 AM
All my pictures have been taken with a Kodak. I have had 2 in 5 years. I just got this one in black. http://search.kodak.com/?pq-locale=en_US&global=en&q=cd1013
The first one had the chit beat out of it. Dropped it in water ounce. Dropped it on the ground. Stopped working once took it all apart and fixed it.

And then you parted it out, right??? lol
Howdy

edog
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
And then you parted it out, right??? lol
Howdy

Yes, I still have some parts. You need something???? The optical lens is still good.shens

Russell 350X
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Thats the same one I had, it worked really well and I never had any problems with it, until the LCD screen broke, now its near useless. I'll be buying another one soon.

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2009, 03:33 PM
DC,

I sure the price point is way out but we have a Nikon D-40 (around 450 or so). It's a digital SLR, basically a digital 35mm camera---It's down right awesome. It's 6 MP, more than you'll ever need, the only reason you would need more is if your enlarging over 11X13 pics. We bought it christmas 2007, and I kid you not we have only charged it about 6-7 times total (mabey once every couple months). We have 2 kids and my wife is a bit of a pic-o-haulic, I think since 2007 we have logged about 1800 pics(probably more) with out fail. It uses SD cards for memory, it's considered an entry level DSLR but it can hang with camera twice it's price no problem. If your use to a point and shoot camera you know you will almost always miss your action shot but not with this, hold the button down and it sounds like a machine gun, just taking frame after frame. Great for trike action shots. It's a breeze to use but is much more cumbersome than a P&S. As for charging it's a snap, pop out the batt and slide it in the cradle light tells you when it's done. Pic down load you can either remove the flash card and plug it in you pc(if that's an option), or use a usb cable (provided), easy.

We started with a Sony DSC-P8 and loved it but it eventually got slow, and dropped in sand. It still works and we let our 4 y.o. son use it, it's crazy looking at life in his perspective thru his pictures, a laugh a minute! So as far as that camera goes we loved it for as long as we used it--probably about 3-3.5 years and well over 5000 pictures and it's still ticking. But now with the DSLR camera I'll never go back to a P&S camera you will be amazed. And no I don't work for Nikon:lol:

Best of luck with you purchase, sell enough of those DC edition headlight guards and you'll be there in no time.

Racerxxx

Thanks bud, your right!! Esp the part about missing shots, these digital cameras miss so many good shots! I just can't spend the cash right now...

The Pawn shop is an AWESOME idea, never thought of that!

I ate my friggin words and I bought ANOTHER Kodak :( It was 8.2 megapricks and all my stuff works with it. It ran me 87$ and out popped a 10$ off coupon when she rang it up :wOOt: My other camera didn't have movie mode and was on 2 MP's so I'm psyched.

What could I do? I wanted to spend <100$ and every other one they had was out of stock. I needed to take pictures of my guards so I was stuck. Every cable I had, charging dock and even the memory card fit right on.

I just hope this one works out better!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice :beer

racerxxx
03-09-2009, 11:01 PM
DC,

Don't blame ya on the purchase, our camera was pricey but sometimes I think the more expensive somthing is the more my wife takes care of it:lol:

A digital camera for 77 bux out the door is a good deal!

Thanks to Twilight on the PAWN shop, too bad it seems like the ones around me are almost charging retail, either that or I'm just super cheap!

Good luck with the new Digital.