PDA

View Full Version : Rt180

TrikeKid
07-13-2003, 01:44 PM
info please might buy one. What years were Yamahas white and red?

TimSr
07-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I believe its was 90 or 91 that was white. These were good reliable bikes, with the motor very similar to the Blaster. The are pretty much piped and carbureted for midrange, so they make excellent trail bikes. You can putt all day without fouling plugs. Chassis is pretty much retro, of the mid to late 70's IT and YZ, so they dont sit very high, and also makes them good trail bikes, especially for shorter guys. The have front hydraulic disk, rear mech drum brakes. They are not top end screamers, and along with the old 70's style monoshock suspension do not make suitable MX bikes. They do make great cross country bikes.

Yamaha_Rules69
07-13-2003, 11:14 PM
I own a 97' Yamaha RT 180. They are good bikes, until you have a hard hitting wipeout like I had.. ( I hit a 4 wheeler (side swipe) going wide open in 5th gear. shock I didnt get hurt too bad besides some huge brusies on my arms and back. I also tweeked my transmission pretty badly. You cant go into 4th or 5th gear, because the bike starts to make winding noises and jerk a lot. I'm hopeing to get it fixed soon.

The bike itself is very reliable, but not the quickest thing out there. It tops out at around 50 to 55 stock. Another thing about this bike is that it is air cooled, and heats up pretty fast on hot days or hard rides, especially on woodland trails, where there is no air ventalation. The suspension is decent, but nothing at all like a MX bike. Their really good at jumping and clearing field approaches and smaller jumps, you just cant go too crazy.. The front forks kinda suck, because there is no way to stiffen them up other than buying new oil or stiffer springs. They have no air valves. I like the fact that you dont have to mix the gas and oil, because it has oil injection. The red RT's were from the early 90's, before they changed to blue.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll probly be able to help.

Yamaha_Rules69
07-13-2003, 11:17 PM
this is a 98' RT 180. The stock 97 model like I have has blue fork boots and a silver frame instead of blue.

TrikeKid
07-14-2003, 12:51 AM
thanks for the help guys do you know of any fan sites for these bikes? The guy i'm might buy it from was suposed to put the lever back on and bring it to my house but he was busy today so tomorrow.

TrikeKid
07-14-2003, 12:55 AM
i went and looked at it yesterday and it shared a couple parts with my friend's GREEN Yamaha DT 125