PDA

View Full Version : trx 450R VS yfz 450

i58829
03-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Which one would you buy and why? Around here all of the 08's are the same price so i'm debating whether to buy another honda, or possibly a yamaha. What are the good and bad about either? I've ridden my buddy's 04 trx a lot and i really like the way it feels/rides, but i figured i'd get some other opinions. Also i'm thinking maybe towards the end of summer/fall the new yfz 450r's will be heavily discounted but i dont know...

Jason Hall
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a 06 TRX450R, I love the way the engine runs, but don't like how high the seat Is, and don't like the stock turning radious. Mine has the steering stops ground down on the steering stem. The Honda has a single cam that makes modifying cheaper. There are LOTS of cams for the 450r Including some VERY good stock Honda cams. The 02-03 crf cams are awesome cams, and IMO perform ALOT better than the stage 2 Hot Cam. The 04-05 HRC cam Is a wicked Top end/dune cam. The 06-08 HRC cam Is alot like the stage 1 Hot Cam. A few problems that the trx has are starter clutch problems on the 06-07's, right side crank bearings on the 04-05 engine's. The Honda engine makes smooth power from Idle to the top.

The Yfz Is a great quad also, IMO the rear suspension linkage setup Is the best there Is. It was desighned after a dirtbike linkage setup. Most all pro frames a few years back had CR-500 links (leagers & some others). The engine's run VERY strong In stock form. You can retard the exhaust cam 1 tooth which makes the Yfz engine come to life. The exhaust and carb will need to be modded/jetted once the cam mod Is done. On the 04-05 the stroke was shorter with a total of 439cc. The cranks went bad on some of the early models. In 06 Yamaha lengthened the stroke for a true 450cc engine. The cases & clutch cover can be modified to pump more oil to the rod on the 04-06 yfz, that helps the crank last. Yamaha fixed the oil problem In 07. I have friends that have the early YFZ's, and have been on top of their oil changes, and haven't had crank problem's.

If I was spending my hard earned money on a new quad, I would buy the YFZ450R!!!

TravEX
03-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Jason, that is by far the BEST post I have read on here in monthes!

I love Honda, but I'm afaid if I was to buy a new sport quad it would be the YFZ also.

BigGreenMachine
03-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I bought the 08 Honda 450R in electric start. Its been ultra reliable thus far. The only thing I could ask for now is reverse.

I have a HC2 cam, full exhaust and a bigger intake/filter with the lid off. It rips.

The suspension stock is very nice and handles everything I can throw at it. The rear does rebound too fast even with the rebound set to full slow. Thats really my only complaint about the quad. It really is nice.

The YFZ would be an awsome choice as well especially when it comes to hopping up the motor. Do the cam mod, take off the lid, put a nice full pipe on it and it will be on par or ahead of my cammed R. They are a fast quad.

If you can find one for a comparable price I would definately go look at the KTM 450XC. I looked at one after buying my 450R and kick myself in the ass for not looking at it first. Setup for trails, comfy seat and seating position and reverse!

i58829
03-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, Jason that was very helpful. Long story short i will barely ride this thing (i only rode my 250r 9 hours last year) so i dont want to buy something used thats been beat on and wont be reliable when i want to get on it. I'm looking for something i can ride legally anywhere because some places we want to go this year dont allow 3 wheelers so that would be pretty much all its used for. My buddy has a really clean most likely 35-40 hour 04 450r that i've ridden a good amount (i know what you mean about the seat height) that he said he'd sell me for 2800. I like that idea, but if he sells me his i dont know that he'd buy another one right away and he's one of the people i ride with the most.

As for the 08 leftovers, they are both 4499.00 plus all the fees, they end up just shy of 5200.00. The one dealer has over a dozen sitting on the floor and i'm not sure how many are at the other one. I was just looking at the new yfz450r which i'd love to have. It sounds like its a lot more advanced and was engineered to be an upgrade from the 450's of today and was thinking that since it retails for a little under 1k more than the 08 450 i may be better off to just wait until winter time and see i can score on of those for 55-5800.00 and get a whole lot more machine. Plus if i put away 50 a pay check i wont need to finance nearly as much of the machine. So i dont know, what to do, i'm a little reluctant to jump on the yfx450r with the fuel injection setup being the first year, as it seems it always takes a year or so to get things up and running. Anyone know if the injection is a comparable set up to the raptors, or if it's something new that may need the bugs worked out? Sorry for the long reply, i'm kind of unsure what i want to do but i have it down to 3 machines its just a matter of figuring out some little details, TC...

xman23
05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
they are both awsome quads. I own a yfz and love it, couldnt be happier. I have hot cams in it and a full exhaust, quickshot 2, and some small things and its goes pretty good. I have some friends with hondas and they are a great bike to, you wouldnt go wrong with either one. I can beat there hondas and a drag race everytime tho!!

factoryX
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
yfz for sure. However, a lot of people barely get 10hrs out of them before the blow. The reason being that the heads like to starve for oil and well you get the picture. The trx450r is more reliable but is the slug out of all the bikes. All the four stroke motors have problems right now and some people get lucky with no problems, and somepeople barely ride it and it blows.

The Goat
05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
get yourself a cp piston first off...

super90
05-16-2009, 03:31 AM
yfz for sure. However, a lot of people barely get 10hrs out of them before the blow. The reason being that the heads like to starve for oil and well you get the picture. The trx450r is more reliable but is the slug out of all the bikes. All the four stroke motors have problems right now and some people get lucky with no problems, and somepeople barely ride it and it blows.

I have never seen a yfz blow in 10 hours that was running properly. Mine had the oem piston for atleast 40 hours that I know of, and my cp that is in there now has about another 40, and the cyl. still looks great. The main issue is the rod bearings exploding from lack of lubrication, but mine has never had that issue. Only the battery issue of not recharging.

factoryX
05-17-2009, 12:30 AM
well I have, lol.

xman23
05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
i havent either, maybe after they bored the stock cyl over it did but never on on a brand new one