PDA

View Full Version : Be careful who you trust

dcreel
03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I put a want ad on the site for 200x parts and was contacted by ******* on here saying he has a thumb throttle for $40. He gave a number to call and said he could take my credit card over the phone. I called and gave him my card number and thought great. He had some bad feedback but it got better and he got some glowing reviews from people on here. Even people that used their cards as well.
The wife just checked our statement and the $40 payment to him was taken out as well as 2 other payments from Florida totalling over $300.
03/09/2009 ************** STARKE FL (PENDING) 40.00 .00
03/09/2009 COUNCIL ON NATURAL HEA 800-963-9702 FL (PENDING) 139.70 .00
03/09/2009 COUNCIL ON NATURAL HEA 800-963-9702 FL (PENDING) 165.70 .00

Needless to say I'm beyond pissed off. The number on the statement (above) is a dupe phone number. Goes to noone on reverse lookup. I just wanted to say to my fellow members to be careful who you trust. I was stupid to give my card number over the phone. It won't happen again.

atctim
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
That number is associated with this website - maybe call them

http://www.seenontvbargains.com/2652.html

honda250sx
03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Ouch. Thankfully your wife caught that. Could have been much worse. Way to give the heads up. Best of luck.

dcreel
03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
atctim, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. I tried a reverse lookup and came up with nothing. The number is on the bottom of that website. Good catch. Thank you.

Macs
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
file a police report and contact the bank. Something similiar happen to me on a buisnuiss trip. I brought the police report to the bank and they refunded all of the charges. Also, it might not be his fault directly. It could have been a hacked computer / network ( this is what happened to me ) or an employee that stole it from him.

rdlsz24
03-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I had this happen when buying stuff online. It wasn't a large dollar amount but still. I had used my Discover card, so I went to my account on their website, and they had right on there where you could click a button next to each transaction to dispute the charge. I did that, and their investigation team looked into it and I got my money back. Didn't take all that long either.

Rob

rdlsz24
03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I also found this:

http://westflorida.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=47&bbb=0653&firm=50001202

Edit: Looks like it's the same company ATCTim found. Did your seller want to quit smoking? :lol:

Rob

dcreel
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Okay, This had nothing to do with the person I ordered the parts from. He has contacted me and I believe him.

My wife had called smokeaway a week ago to get us off the cigarette habit. She was told they were on back order, and would take a couple weeks to have them sent. That was for $90. Apparently somehow (thanks to atctim) we have somehow been shunted to this website that sells smoke away. Not the actual smoke away website or people. We have contacted them and they are investigating. I still don't know how $90 turned into over $300.

My apologies to the Parts man.

Thanks to atctim and rdlsz24 for the investigation. Without what you guys did I would still be on the wrong track. Thanks, guys.

I did a ninja edit on the first post.

rdlsz24
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
So it was just a coincidence they were both from FL. Glad to hear it's worked out for the most part.

Rob

dcreel
03-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I jumped to conclusions. Thanks to you guys we have narrowed it down to smoke away. We odered $90 worth of stuff that is backordered, and were charged for over $300 from the same company. They say they don't understand what happened. We have sent them the info you guys found in an attempt to get it resolved.

Thanks again.

and again Parts Man, I apologize.

rdlsz24 and atctim, how did you guys cross refernece that phone number. Teach me, oh wise ones.

And the bank can't do anything as it was a debit card, until the charges go through. Then we can dispute the charges.

rdlsz24
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I just searched for the phone number in a Yahoo search:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=800-963-9702&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

It's the 3rd result.

Looks like Google finds quite a bit more:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=800-963-9702&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Rob

dcreel
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys, without you guys the wife and I would still be running around like chickens with our heads cut off.
We have narrowed it down to smoke away, now to see if they fix it. We have already shut our cards off, have to wait until next week for new ones.

Thanks again.. Its amazing to me and the wife what you guys do. The wife said "its more than just a site you sit in front of for hours each day" :w00t:

Howdy
03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys, without you guys the wife and I would still be running around like chickens with our heads cut off.
We have narrowed it down to smoke away, now to see if they fix it. We have already shut our cards off, have to wait until next week for new ones.

Thanks again.. Its amazing to me and the wife what you guys do. The wife said "its more than just a site you sit in front of for hours each day" :w00t:

We are more than a 3 Wheeler Web site. We are like family here and we take care of each other. It's ordeals like this where others come and help a fellow user with info and such, that makes this web site sooo GREAT!!!

Howdy

atctim
03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Man - I feel bad for Parts man - streaks of bad luck I guess - we all go thru it I guess - some of us just have more bad luck than others. Parts man is alright in my book and I have dealt with him! You will be OK to trust him, I Hate to see an honest man's reputation get tainted.....

keister
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Man - I feel bad for Parts man - streaks of bad luck I guess - we all go thru it I guess - some of us just have more bad luck than others. Parts man is alright in my book and I have dealt with him! You will be OK to trust him, I Hate to see an honest man's reputation get tainted.....

Then why don't you edit your posts and take out his name? Readers of this thread don't even know who was wrongly accused - until posts #10 and 14.

This is an important lesson. We were ordering some speakers for a friend on-line last night. When it came time to put his card # in, he put in his debit card number. I stopped him and told him to use a credit card instead. This way, crooks might run up credit charges, but can't empty your checking account.

jason 32
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
yea debit cards can get ya - right out of the bank, and if you use checks as well, and one bounces because of it, all of them will !!!
can get ugly, and my bank charges 28.00 to stop payment!!! WTF!!
highway robbery i tell you
28.00 over draft fees as well!!! if the bank was a good bank why not work with the loyal customer! ,and charge nothing!!!