PDA

View Full Version : 99 Yamaha Wolverine head trouble!

Yamada
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm repairing a 99 Yamaha Wolverine for a friend. He was cruising in the trail and the engine stalled. The engine turn over but won't start. Tonight I started wrenching on it and the first thing I saw was that the timing was off. It's due to a broken cam chain guide.
Now I want to remove the head to inspect the valves. I don't want to put a new cam chain guide and having a bent valves into the head. Anyway I have to remove the head to replace the guide.

My question is: Do I have to remove the engine from the frame to remove the head of the engine? I wish I can remove the head without to have to pull the complete engine off the frame.
Thank for any help.

Yamada
03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
This morning I've been able to remove the head with the engine still in the frame. Even with the valve adjuster fully removed the exhaust is still open. The rocker doesn't seems free. I think I'm gonna tell my friend to bring the head to yamaha dealer. There is no sign of the valve touching the piston.

ditchmud
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a wolverine and they are a mother to work on. The top end of that motor is the same as a warrior......so at least parts should be plentifull. Let us know how you progress.:D

Yamada
03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I have a wolverine and they are a mother to work on. The top end of that motor is the same as a warrior......so at least parts should be plentifull. Let us know how you progress.:D

That what I thought but I wasn't sure the warrior top end was the same. Maybe if I could find a cheap warrior end I'm gonna put it on and call it done.
Thank you.