PDA

View Full Version : 1999/2002 Yamaha Wolverine

BigGreenMachine
03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Anyone have some seat time on the oldschool Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4?

Should handle fast trails? Wonder if some 450R shocks would work on the front?

Looking for something I can take hunting and still ride some fast trails with while chasing/leading the g/f who rides my 450R. Seems like it would be a nice choice?

84 Rider
03-15-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a '97, had it since new, I thought the stock shocks were weak. I got some shocks from Progressive, helped the hi speed,then it seemed as the slow speed was stiff.
I don't think that you will be able to keep up with a 450R unless she is really slow, it can barely keep up with my 200X.

BigGreenMachine
03-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Our idea of fast trails are probably different. I ride a lot of technical trails, tight ones where your lucky to see the top of 3rd gear on the R. Feels fast with trees and branches flying by.

The 350cc Wolverine would have the advantage IMO since it's motor all about low end torque and has the extra ground clearance over the R. The suspension is the major flaw.

Theres a nice 03? 400EX for sale as well. It would be a fast machine in the trails too but isn't as versatile as the Wolverine.

82300R
03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
we have a nice 03 model that we picked up a while back with low hours on it. its a nice solid machine. have not had any problems with it. i sometimes prefere riding it over our brute force 650 an 750i 's . light an nimble compared to those two. it will follow them just about anywhere. untill major power and ground clearance are an issue. we do lots of mud riding here. i think it is a great quad. sporty plus 4x4. when the 450 gets stuck you can pull it out.

BigGreenMachine
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Not worried about mudding with it. I barely ever go bogging these days. More into the fun GNCC style trails and fast fire roads.

ditchmud
03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I bought mine new in 2000 when all my buddies were getting 400ex and z400 and raptors. In woodsy and technical trails you will have no problems keeping up. In the hills and mud you will have the advantage. You will get a better workout with it being a heavier machine then the sport quads, but hanging with them will be no problem. If the wolverine that you get has the stock tires on it you will want to change them asap unless you enjoy fixing flats!