PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hunt the elusive Morel?

y2kane
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Is there any other morel mushroom hunters on this site?

Every year my Dad and brother have been going up near Gaylord Michigan. I went last year for the first time since I was 16. I am almost 38 now and have really taken to this new or revived hobby. I enjoy eating just had not been hunting for a long time. I had a blast last year hunting the elusive Morel. :D

While riding with my dad and brother I noticed all the trails from 4 wheelers on the state grounds we hunted on. This year I am going to tote up my 200s and my 185 (125m if I can get it running.) and do some riding for a day while camping for my 4 to 5 day hunting trek. I can't ride everyday but I figure after a full day riding I will be a little tired and will need the time walking in the woods anyways, besides I am actually there to mushroom hunt! I have my 2 off road stickers I just received in the mail and am waiting to see which machines I end up taking before I apply the sticker. :naughty:

I am so looking forward to this vacation and can't wait until I get out in the woods again. I love being out there with my Dad and Brother hunting mushrooms. This year I am going to take 2 (might be 3) of my six kids with me to pass on the tradition. The others have the option, but not having a flushing toilet and no electricity is not their idea of fun. LOL They are very excited to be going with us this year. Sitting by the fire at night and having morels for every meal. Spending 6 to 7 hours out in the woods seeing all the things in nature you cannot see in Northwest Ohio, like porcupine trees with the piles of poo at the bottom of them, bear scrapes on the trees, elk in the field, and so on. :lol:

I am getting pretty antsy to get going. I am thinking it might be the first weekend in May. Just can't wait.:w00t:

dizasterzrfun69
03-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I've been hunting them my whole life. my dad used to take me camping up in cadillac michigan every year until i got probablly 12 or so, then we just kinda quit going for whatever reason. I do hunt them all over around here though and im hoping to make a special trip and take a few machines up to cadillac this year. post up when you find the first mushrooms of the season. I cant wait.

y2kane
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
They are predicting the small blacks around the middle of April. My dad is thinking about heading up the around then to try and get some of the small blacks. Will let you know when he finds the first one.

Twilight
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
There was a spot here in WA near cle elum that every year had chantrelles and another that had black trumpets.

Usually get about 7-8lbs a year then sell them to my work, also go after the fiddlehead fern.

hadar
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, Hunting morels is a spring tradition. Not sure which I like more, finding them or eating them.

TravEX
03-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I did it a few years ago, but I need to get back in the habit. I love to eat em.

The Goat
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
since we don't do that down here, it's just random non trippy mushrooms?

ditchmud
03-16-2009, 07:59 AM
I usually get about 15-30 in my backyard. I used to run them over with the lawnmower not knowing what they were. My buddy nearly passed out when he saw them and I told him that I run 'em over with the mower. Now he gets themm all.

hublake
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Make sure you are on trails the are for ATVs. Not all trails on state land are open to ATVs. According to state law in MI a trail must be posted as open to ATVs or they are closed trails.

MyMistress86R
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Around here, Mothers Day is usually the indicator as to when it's time to start looking. Weather conditions haven't been ideal the last couple of years, but hopefully it will be better this year.

300rman
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I usually get about 15-30 in my backyard. I used to run them over with the lawnmower not knowing what they were. My buddy nearly passed out when he saw them and I told him that I run 'em over with the mower. Now he gets themm all.

your buddy's name wouldnt happen to be Brian, would it?

y2kane
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM

You don't know what your missing. If you like mushrooms, Non trippy kind LOL, You would love these!!!

y2kane
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Make sure you are on trails the are for ATVs. Not all trails on state land are open to ATVs. According to state law in MI a trail must be posted as open to ATVs or they are closed trails.

Thanks for the warning. I have heard that on a mushroom hunting site I visit. Where we go is so far back in the state ground I don't think anyone else is around. I believe these are marked trails to...according to the maps I have been looking at. Damn I can't wait to get going!!

Daddio
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I found these last year. 1upfront and I went out riding one day and I saw a couple along the trail so one the way back out I stopped and picked these. Good stuff.:drool:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/lrdunlap/100_0327.jpg

Macs
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM

You beat me to it Goat....... Down here you would be a fool to eat a mushroom growing out of the ground, unless you had nothing to do for a few days.....

The Goat
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah, down here there are hundreds of mushrooms out in the pasture...

all of them have to be ignored, unless of course like you said, nothing to do.

I've read up on the whole morel thing though, seems like it'd be tough to differentiate between the good and bad morels if you were just starting out.

y2kane
03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
not really the bad ones that look even remotely close to real morels can be broke at the stemand if there is a cotton like center they are the fake ones. If they are hollow the are the real ones. You would really want to go with a seasoned morel hunter the first time you go out and they can show you how to hunt and from what trees produce what type of morels. Not only are they very tastey, they do sell on ebay for over $100 a pound dried. I personally have never sold mine on ebay because they are to well liked by my family. Never enough left. LOL

The Goat
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd imagine they'd grow a lot where normal mushrooms grow. hmm...

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out in the woods.

tecat-z
03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
My dad brought me with him from a very early age, like my grandpa did with him. I still go 4-5 times every spring. Though my best spots have sadly been turned into roads or subdivisions. It's getting tough to find large numbers around here anymore. My wife and i love a big porterhouse smothered in pan simmered buttered onions and morels. Nothing better...:naughty:

The Goat
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
I found these last year. 1upfront and I went out riding one day and I saw a couple along the trail so one the way back out I stopped and picked these. Good stuff.:drool:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/lrdunlap/100_0327.jpg

somebody has never picked shrooms before. lol

always pinch the bottom, never just pull em out the ground.

we had this iranian guy who was in my highschool class...he did love his wild mushrooms.

brapp
03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
dude soemtimes her ein pa we go out with 5 gallon buckets and fillthem on a good day. but somedays we come back empty handed. but by far best eatign mushrooms out there. and the snow white puff balls are a close 2nd lol

firehart
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't know which were safe and which ones weren't so I only eat mushrooms from the store.

y2kane
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
dude soemtimes her ein pa we go out with 5 gallon buckets and fillthem on a good day. but somedays we come back empty handed. but by far best eatign mushrooms out there. and the snow white puff balls are a close 2nd lol

You should use a mesh bag when hunting mushrooms. It helps spread the spores while you are walking. just a FYI.

Tri-Z 250
03-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a friend with land in S.Ohio and he makes enough to pay his property taxes form year to year. Nice investment move....he's a Chef and knew exactly what he was getting when he was looking for property.

Raptorfan07
03-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Hell yeah we hunt them. It's great, riding season, Morel Season, and Trout season all coincide with each other. Last year a guy I work with who spends literally all his free time in the spring hunting brought in 30+lbs.

y2kane
03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
I am hoping to go the first week in May. Leaving on May second and coming back on the sixth or seventh. Depends on how many we are finding!! I am getting excited!!

ditchmud
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Has anyone found any yet? I haven't seen any growing out back yet myself.

Thorpe
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
What kind of gun do you use to hunt them? You really go out just to look for some schrooms? We have a grocery store just a couple of blocks from here, I can send them UPS if you guys are that desperate!

dizasterzrfun69
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
What kind of gun do you use to hunt them? You really go out just to look for some schrooms? We have a grocery store just a couple of blocks from here, I can send them UPS if you guys are that desperate!

we have a grocery store here that sells them too, $39.99 A POUND

its kinda like fishing. you can run down to the store and buy some but its more fun to go catch them yourself.

Thorpe
04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
DANG! Those mushrooms had better work better than liquor with the ladies! Whats so great about them?

dizasterzrfun69
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
anybody else find any yet? i found my first blacks early last week and then yesterday we found 2.31 lbs of blacks, caps, and a few grays

F4K
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Blacks are just popping here around cadillac. Need more heat. We got the rain now need the heat at night.

dizasterzrfun69
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Blacks are just popping here around cadillac. Need more heat. We got the rain now need the heat at night.

we used to go camping up there, i'd like to go back up there when the blacks are just ending and the grays/tans are coming on good

Daddio
04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I wanted to go out this past weekend but I ended up working on projects all freaking weekend. This coming weekend looks really good for down here.

hadar
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I wanted to go out this past weekend but I ended up working on projects all freaking weekend. This coming weekend looks really good for down here.

I hear ya, I'm going this weekend and hope to find a few. I wish everyone luck while hunting this year.

hadar
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Went out last Saturday and found some good ones. We found about 5 lbs. Here was my take after we gourged out on them the 1st night:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/Leadcrowns/HPIM4187c.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/Leadcrowns/HPIM4186c.jpg

Nothing better then Morels.

tecat-z
05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Ah yes, the best shrooms in the world imo........ Been searching for these tasty fungi since i was waist high with my father. Usually come home disapointed though. Got lucky yesterday after work and found all of these jumbos around one tree! I have gone searching nearly every day for a week and just about gave up. Unfortunately i dropped the biggest one on my porch and it broke up pretty bad. They are so fragile. I made dinner tonight for my mom and wife for mothers day. Of course my dad and i enjoyed the ribeyes and morels with them.:naughty: These were among the largest morels i've ever found around one tree. Keep in mind i cut off stems, and only eat caps.......

hublake
05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I see on my local news that they had the big Morel Mushroom Festival this past weekend. The news said that some people were getting $50.00 a pound for them. Mesick is near Cadillac.

harryredtrike
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
nasty little fungus,i hate mushrooms.blaaaaah,like licking a dirty foot

hadar
05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
nasty little fungus,i hate mushrooms.blaaaaah,like licking a dirty foot

I'll have to take your word on the foot thing

But

These are YUMMY!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/Leadcrowns/HPIM4189c.jpg

hadar
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
So has anyone been out this year? They should be pop'n around here, if not already.

Macdiesel
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
let me know iM STUCK IN mINNEAPOLIS FOR WORK TRYING TO FIND A GOOD PLACE CLOSE TO GO ANYOE WHO READS THIS IF YOU RE CLOSE TO MINNEAPOLIS AND WANT TO GUIDE ME THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Leadfoot71
04-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I can usually find ten to fifteen pounds in a few days on my farm. I've got 980 acres 1.5 hours south of Minneapolis.

I don't need anymore people out here though. (unless they have a good set of forks for an '82 200 E Big Red).