PDA

View Full Version : propane powered cannons

honda250sx
03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone ever build a propane powered cannon?

Saul
03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah. It's in my pants.

Yamada
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
No, but when I was in college, my friends and me built a AXE ( like the parfume) burner potato cannon. We didn't have a good enough spark to fire it. But we were able to throw potatos on more than 400 feet 2 times. Time to bring it back to life.

night4creeper
03-18-2009, 09:02 PM
aquanet is cheaper, but acetylene works better.

honda250sx
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Propane is the best. Cleanest burning. I have built several aquanet powered spud guns.

Thats for kids now.

Metered propane is where its at.

SYKO
03-18-2009, 09:11 PM
we made a patato gun when I was younger and used gas for propelent! seemed like we could launch a patato a few miles! lol and one HELL of a fireball trailing it!

Saul
Propane is the best. Cleanest burning. I have built several aquanet powered spud guns.

Thats for kids now.

Yeah - and propane powered cannons are what, mature? :confused: :wondering

keister
We were just talking about it at work on Friday. Might build one and shoot it across the Ohio river. Our safety manager has one he shoots tennis balls with (for kids birthday parties and such). The igniter is from a gas grill, wired to two pieces of all-thread. Hairspray seems to be the accelerant of choice.

racerxxx
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Our safety manager has one he shoots tennis balls with (for kids birthday parties and such). The igniter is from a gas grill, wired to two pieces of all-thread. Hairspray seems to be the accelerant of choice.

The saftey manager is priceless, not something you'd expect to be followed a spud gun:lol: :lol:

We used to have a few powered by aquanet, a piezo lighter, and a couple of six packs @ 2 A.M.---GREAT TIMES! Never thought of the propane, that's great, you might want to upgrade from PVC to black iron pipe. I personally like bottle rocket wars or roman candle wars, once again accompanied by :beer

300rman
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
aquanet is cheaper, but acetylene works better.

yes, but i imagine trying to use acetylene to power a spud cannon will result in the pipe blowing to millions of pieces, and you being scattered over a few hundred feet.

Vealmonkey
03-18-2009, 10:59 PM
But it's best if you mount the bottle rockets to the handlebars of your atc70 and after dark drive around and fire them at other people on their atc70s!

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah - and propane powered cannons are what, mature? :confused: :wondering

Saul, sweetheart. What the hell is your problem? You have been taking trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro's in everyone of my threads. Don't you have your own site to waste other peoples time on? Is this because I don't answer your PM's? Maybe I don't want anything to do with what you have going on. I know your into internet fights. I seen your lovely displays on .org already. But I am not going to bash you about your spraypaint cans on the wall or anything else. Stop deuching up threads. Look at your posts. I think majority speaks when they all get thumbs down.

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 08:38 AM
We were just talking about it at work on Friday. Might build one and shoot it across the Ohio river. Our safety manager has one he shoots tennis balls with (for kids birthday parties and such). The igniter is from a gas grill, wired to two pieces of all-thread. Hairspray seems to be the accelerant of choice.

This is what I am talking about!!!

So alot of guys don't use propane because they can't figure out the metering device. I am using a 20" SCH 40 4" dia. piece of CLEAR PVC. So you can see the exposion. YAY. Mine will be outfited with a 3 foot long barrel. 2.5" dia. For tennis balls of course!

thru calculations. thank god i was a math major. I have figured out that in order to get the desired metered amount of propane (4% concentration) for that size chamber (4" x20" long) I will need a 1/2 NPT gas pressure rated pipe that is 7 inches long.

LOL lots of math here. Inside the chamber I have a BRUSHLESS fan to mix the fuel that will run on two 9v batteries. BRUSHLESS key word. Don't want a fan igniting your mix of propane and oxygen. Ignition system i am looking at a cheap stun gun. Possibly use the old school grill ignitor method.

Here are the beginning stages.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3699.jpg

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
this is what were after.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/4311252737.jpg

racerxxx
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
One word:

RIGHTEOUS!

That thing looks top notch, don't let that into the hands of a 3rd world country!

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Right on!

As the red headed kid in October Sky the movie says...

PRODIGINOUS

Dirtcrasher
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
^ Is the deal that the volume of the pipe between the 2 valves is the metered amount of propane?? You open one valve, allow the propane in and close the other??

Thats my guess anyhow :D

That thing looks awesome!!!!!!!

Saul
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Saul, sweetheart. What the hell is your problem? You have been taking ****'s in everyone of my threads.

You post in public expect people to reply with an opinion. I've seen yourself be pretty negative in other peoples threads. Don't give it if you can't take it.

Don't you have your own site to waste other peoples time on?

No. (www.airfoolers.com)

Is this because I don't answer your PM's? Maybe I don't want anything to do with what you have going on.

I sent you ONE pm asking if you would share a couple magazine article scans for the aifooler community. You didn't bother to reply, even with a 'f**k you Saul, I aint sharing nothing with you' - instead you didn't even take a second to reply back which tells me loads about the kinda person you are.

I know your into internet fights. I seen your lovely displays on .org already. But I am not going to bash you about your spraypaint cans on the wall or anything else.

Into 'internet fights' - LMFAO. :rolleyes: If you only knew how far off you really were. .org?! Edog talked s**t about me over there for no reason and I replied - I shouldn't speak up for myself for some reason?

Internet fights ... I'm still laughing at that one. :crazy:

Anyways, have fun with your propane playtoy. Don't hurt yourself. :beer

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
No problem Nancy. Airfoolers for life.

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
^ Is the deal that the volume of the pipe between the 2 valves is the metered amount of propane?? You open one valve, allow the propane in and close the other??

Thats my guess anyhow :D

That thing looks awesome!!!!!!!

Steve you are correct. The pipe between two gas rated ball valves is the "metering area". This is what takes the math. The area of the pipe against the area of the chamber.

Saul
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
No problem Nancy. Airfoolers for life.

Right back atcha ole chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........p

:beer

The Goat
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Jeff is about the nicest and most helpful guy on here...

He's gone out of his way to correct other member's mistakes just so I could get a decent headlight guard. He never asked for more money to have it welded or to hit it with powder.

That tells me what kind of person he is.

You on the other hand act like you have a ton of sand in your womanly crevice.

On a spudgun related note...

Jeff, have you considered using an acetyline oxygen mix?

Some people have had astonishing luck with creating IEDs to blow beaver damns.

You get your mix perfect burning on the torch, extinguish, then collect the mix.

VERY POTENT.

I always wrapped the pvc with heavygrade duct tape just incase the pressure was too high for the pipe on our spud guns.

The Goat
03-19-2009, 05:34 PM
certain persons are abusing the up and down voting system in this thread...

I would ask that if you honestly don't have an issue with a post to NOT vote it down just because everyone else is.

fabiodriven
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
On a spudgun related note...

Jeff, have you considered using an acetyline oxygen mix?

Some people have had astonishing luck with creating IEDs to blow beaver damns.

You get your mix perfect burning on the torch, extinguish, then collect the mix.

VERY POTENT.

I always wrapped the pvc with heavygrade duct tape just incase the pressure was too high for the pipe on our spud guns.

I'm by no means an expert in this field, but I would in NO WAY EVER make any sort of hand-held device having anything to do with oxy-acetaline. The explosion that stuff makes is not something to be played with. I have seen first-hand what a baloon full of oxy-acetaline can do, and that's a balloon, mind you. Meaning the container, in this case the balloon, is not the reason for the explosion. In other words, you're not just blowing the container apart. The stuff is just so volatile that it EXPLODES.

Again, I'm no expert, but unless you really have alot of experience with oxy-acetaline explosions I wouldn't even try it.

The Goat
03-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree that the idea of holding that in the hand wouldn't be something I would gladly do.

You've seen a balloon....ever seen twin 5 gallon water cans submerged?

we're hypothetically talking pressure waves out to 1k yards...because this is all hypothetical, and no one would dare engage in such illegal activities.

I love that people voted down my comment to NOT vote down posts that have nothing wrong with them.

some of you disgust me.

Russell 350X
03-19-2009, 07:01 PM
We use mapp gas in our spudguns, works great.

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm by no means an expert in this field, but I would in NO WAY EVER make any sort of hand-held device having anything to do with oxy-acetaline. The explosion that stuff makes is not something to be played with. I have seen first-hand what a baloon full of oxy-acetaline can do, and that's a balloon, mind you. Meaning the container, in this case the balloon, is not the reason for the explosion. In other words, you're not just blowing the container apart. The stuff is just so volatile that it EXPLODES.

Again, I'm no expert, but unless you really have alot of experience with oxy-acetaline explosions I wouldn't even try it.

Fabio, agreed.

I have a close motorhead companion of mine who was an EOD in the Vietnam War. The man was simply put on gods earth to desimate and destroy stuff. He is skilled in all types of Mil. Spec. explosives. Subesequently he works for the local gas company and works parts at the dealership I used to work fulltime on weekends. Anywho. Discussed this proposition with him ( propane cannon ) and he said basically its harmless when done correctly. I'll trust that man with a grenade in one hand and pipebomb full of shrapnel in the other while he is smiling before anything.

The Goat
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
BOOOOOOOOOM!

I could tell you the time I burnt the skid off of my entire palm hand half my thumb and forefinger....

was not a good day.

don't suppose we could shoot this thing when I'm up there jeff.

honda250sx
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Goat if it is done...

MOST CERTAINLY...

Just need to find a spot LOL

factoryX
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrxHCuHnvwg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkO-N5Vz76k&feature=related
don't do this...

Rookie
03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Heres my canon
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/grins_06/012-1.jpg

7 steel beer cans. The first six starting from the top have the top and bottom cut out, the bottom one stays whole except for a hole in the center of the bottom of the can. I use a phillips screwdriver. They are ducted taped together. 4 squirts of lighter fluid, roll it around and swing it back and forth untill fluid has evaperated, hold and light it at the hole ! Never had one come apart on me. Steel pop cans were a little bigger and you could shoot tennis balls out of em. You would only use 4 cans.

honda250sx
03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
You can't hide redneck.

So....

Phase II

Electrical. Radioshack had it all. LED brushless PC fan, LED with resistor, Toggle switch, project box, battery holder, battery harness.

Just need to wire it up and get a small CG for the box to seal it off from the elements. This is going to be the power box for the fan that will be utilized to mix the fuel in the chamber prior to explosion.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3700.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3701.jpg

tanks350x
03-22-2009, 11:39 PM
A friend of mine made a spud gun once, all he used was PVC pipe, What he used for the ignition was a plain coleman lantern striker mounted to the side of the chamber.. what he used for the accelerant was a can of either.. unscrew off the back, short blast of either, screw the cap back on and snap the striker and BOOOM! The whole key is to get a super tight fit with the spud in the barrel.. But you all know that :lol:

Rookie
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Cant wait to see the finished product. To complicated for me though :lol: I like to keep it simple ( as you can tell ) :lol: Learned it in PA. when I use to go back there on vaca to visit my dads relatives.

edog
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
It slices it dices it even makes curlu fries. It's the spudanator 2009!!!!!!

Can only be purchased thew this limited 3wheeleworld.com offer.

Are you sitting down????? of course you are???? are you eating??? I hope not........

You can purchase one of these limited production runs for only 6 easy payment of $599. GET THEM WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!!!!!

honda250sx
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
electrics done.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3703.jpg

300rman
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
PVC is dangerous to use for stuff like this.....ever had one of those spud guns blow up on you?

use H.D.P.E. plastic pipe.....doesnt shrapnel. destructive test with an upside down mortar shell in a PVC pipe and H.D.P.E. pipe.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/images/PVCtest1.jpg

racerxxx
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
electrics done.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3703.jpg

Dude your SO MONEY!:lol: