PDA

View Full Version : Good, Reliable, Decent Car?

Twilight
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
After driving trucks my whole life I want a car. Never driven one before actually, haha. I was looking at Honda Civics and Dodge Intrepids. Going to get a used car, not new. Need one that is just reliable and hopefully better than the 17mpg im getting on my truck.

No street bike for a while now that I am looking at a 3-4month recovery on my shoulder. Thats the real reason... lol poor R1

xXxDaNxXx
03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
toyota corolla if you dont hae a large family. my dad has had one for hte past 4 years, the same one, its on its second motor and second clutch, but he drives about 130k's a day, and its barely ever below 4000 rpms. he gets around 40mpg. its 1998 4cl 5 speed.

Brockey
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic hands down best on gas and reliable. Intrepid I wouldn't even think about. I am doing a pile of crap to a friends now trying to fix it.

Twilight
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Not a family man, haha. I barely have a GF right now. Plus being sterile helps..haha too much info?

Theres a nice Honda Civic here for 8k, has 30,000 miles and is a 05. Seems pretty clean to me.

J.D.
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
05 Civic for 8,000 dollars? HELL of a deal. I DEFINATELY would not buy any DaimlerChrysler product if you are looking for good, reliable, or decent. Can't go wrong with a Civic though.

Twilight
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Haha thats what my friends just told me. Im going to go check it out tonight.

Same as a truck right? Check trans, make sure everything shifts right, no knocking noises, front suspension not leaking and make sure there are no gremlins? =P

rdlsz24
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I would get a Civic, Accord or Mazda 3 myself.

Rob

SYKO
03-20-2009, 05:26 PM
omg you actually thought about a intreped? ewww.... you really dont want to pick up women dontcha? lol

get a lincoln towncar!! mmmmmmm lincoln!

Twilight
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
haha i was also thinking of a mitsubishi eclipse.

one bad thing is that is has to be an automatic trans, kinda lame huh, but I need something my mom and GF/friend can drive if needed.

Dirtcrasher
03-20-2009, 06:12 PM
If you want flashy, get flashy.

If you want reliable transportation, great fuel economy and excellent reliability; get a Honda or a Toyota :D

Twilight
03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
So in other words... get a Mustang cause it will outlast them all right, lol j/k

Going to look at the civic tonite... seems too good of a deal to be true.

fabiodriven
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
To hell with the Corollas, Mazdas, Hondas, etc. You want a well engineered car, buy a Subaru. My family has driven them for years, and I just got my first one a few months ago. Awesome cars.

tanks350x
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
To hell with the Corollas, Mazdas, Hondas, etc. You want a well engineered car, buy a Subaru. My family has driven them for years, and I just got my first one a few months ago. Awesome cars.

Yea but John,,, doesn't your buburu have a case of the fluburu? Ha,ha,ha:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

The Goat
03-20-2009, 08:37 PM
my scion xb is a toyota product... 140k miles on it. it has never even hiccupped. I drive hard, really hard. if I'm
behind the wheel my rpms will NOT be below 3500.

about six months ago, I was gonna go trade it in a that new ford awd sedan. I didn't. why? without a doubt my 140k scion has more miles left in her than that brand new ford.

I'm taking it to Pennsylvania in a few weeks, And were doing a cross country road trip over the summer, gonna drive up the west coast, across to the northeast and then back down.

these suckers are bulletproof. ran it for 34 hours straight, with only fuel breaks and a one hour stop to load a bike. engine temps never rise above 165 degrees, hell I think it was 158 or so to be honest.

I can haul 2 70s and a triz in the back if I take the front forks off. or a yamaha big bear, you name it, I can fit it.

the only thing these cars need: decent directional tread tires, a cold air intake, and an exhaust. the last two net you a noticeable increase in juice.

on the interstate at 85, I get 29 mpg. cruising at 55-60, I've seen over 40. I've gotten nearly 500 miles on an 11.9 gallon tank headed down to the coast. little towns with low speed limits equal great mileage.

xb prolly isn't your thing, but just throwing it out there. amazing reliability, good gas mileage, tons of space.

carollas share the same engine. and most toyota/scion products are assembled and manufactured right here in the usa. 70% of parts. a scion tc though is 100% Japanese

88 Turbo Coupe
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
A VW Beetle. Keep the valves adjusted and they will run forever.

JohnR.
03-20-2009, 09:29 PM
A Nissan Sentra is right up there with a Corolla and a Civic in terms of reliability. I would suggest a manual trans. They tend to have less problems than automatics in general.

John

Dirtcrasher
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
^ absolutely!!

fabiodriven
03-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Yea but John,,, doesn't your buburu have a case of the fluburu? Ha,ha,ha:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

That's actually very funny, Roy. :lol:

Yes, my Subaru needed a CV axle and a wheel bearing but not bad for 220 thousand miles. I did the CV but haven't yet done the wheel bearing.

tanks350x
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Whatever you do, Don't ever even consider a Hyundai.. I had looked at a sonata once for my mother, opened up the hood to look around, and was suprised to see the same engine that was in my Eagle Talon that I had at the time.. Little did I know that it used a Hyundai trans, which was a big POS, It let go on her a month after she got it.. Now she has a Toyota Yaris.. 40+ mpg with alot of power for what it is. The car brand new was only $12,000

J.D.
03-21-2009, 01:21 AM
my scion xb is a toyota product... 140k miles on it. it has never even hiccupped. I drive hard, really hard. if I'm
behind the wheel my rpms will NOT be below 3500.

about six months ago, I was gonna go trade it in a that new ford awd sedan. I didn't. why? without a doubt my 140k scion has more miles left in her than that brand new ford.

I'm taking it to Pennsylvania in a few weeks, And were doing a cross country road trip over the summer, gonna drive up the west coast, across to the northeast and then back down.

these suckers are bulletproof. ran it for 34 hours straight, with only fuel breaks and a one hour stop to load a bike. engine temps never rise above 165 degrees, hell I think it was 158 or so to be honest.

I can haul 2 70s and a triz in the back if I take the front forks off. or a yamaha big bear, you name it, I can fit it.

the only thing these cars need: decent directional tread tires, a cold air intake, and an exhaust. the last two net you a noticeable increase in juice.

on the interstate at 85, I get 29 mpg. cruising at 55-60, I've seen over 40. I've gotten nearly 500 miles on an 11.9 gallon tank headed down to the coast. little towns with low speed limits equal great mileage.

xb prolly isn't your thing, but just throwing it out there. amazing reliability, good gas mileage, tons of space.

carollas share the same engine. and most toyota/scion products are assembled and manufactured right here in the usa. 70% of parts. a scion tc though is 100% Japanese

What have you done to the cooling system to make it run so cold?? That's not good-for emissions or power.

Whatever you do, Don't ever even consider a Hyundai.. I had looked at a sonata once for my mother, opened up the hood to look around, and was suprised to see the same engine that was in my Eagle Talon that I had at the time.. Little did I know that it used a Hyundai trans, which was a big POS, It let go on her a month after she got it.. Now she has a Toyota Yaris.. 40+ mpg with alot of power for what it is. The car brand new was only $12,000

Newer Hyundais are actually very nice and reliable cars. Maybe not back in the day, but I'd say in the last 5 years they have come a long way and would not think twice about recommending one to somebody.

Russell 350X
03-21-2009, 01:34 AM
My best car to date, was a 1992 Honda Accord, 2.2L, 5spd. I paid 50$ for it, had 277,000miles when it finally died., still ran good, but the tranny locked up. Drove it for 1 1/2yrs, really hard. If I had to buy another car, it would be, without a doubt, a Honda Accord with a manual trans. Got 35-38mpg highway, at those high miles. Had a Mercury Sable for a little time before that, biggest POS I ever owned.

Twilight
03-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Bought the civic for 7k. Way better than my bouncy loud truck. When he turned the key I had to ask if it was on! LOL

The Goat
03-21-2009, 01:37 AM
I haven't done anything to it.

It's a 1.5L with one beast of a stock rad fan setup on it.

not good for power... lol. damned thing only has 90 hp to start stock.

These thing run as cool as 140 degrees with some people's driving styles.

don't even talk when I was in kentucky and it was 17 degrees outside with me doing 40 on back roads.... my blue warm up light just stayed on and the ecu won't let the car go above 4k rpm.

The Goat
03-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Bought the civic for 7k. Way better than my bouncy loud truck. When he turned the key I had to ask if it was on! LOL

you got the deal of a lifetime.

my buddy just bought one in august that was an 01 with 30k on it for 11 grand.

Twilight
03-21-2009, 01:40 AM
It has 2 scratches... and needs a seat belt... i talked him down 1k because of that! hahahaha

J.D.
03-21-2009, 02:15 AM
You really did get a hell of a deal. Show us some pics! Hell, I just spent 5 grand on a 2000 Silverado with 165,000 on it.

Twilight
03-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Well its dark out, so not too good of pics. But here you go =)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/TwilightOfHeaven/Honda%20Civic/DSC_0186.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/TwilightOfHeaven/Honda%20Civic/DSC_0187.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/TwilightOfHeaven/Honda%20Civic/DSC_0188.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/TwilightOfHeaven/Honda%20Civic/DSC_0189.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/TwilightOfHeaven/Honda%20Civic/DSC_0190.jpg

Mosh
03-21-2009, 08:59 AM
You cant go wrong with a Honda.
We do nothing to them other than maintenance.
My 91 Accord has 260K on it..Runs champion.

If I am not mistaken, The Newer Honda's Have a lifetime warranty on seatbelt and restraint systems. Worth checkin into. Call a Dealer and find out.