PDA

View Full Version : rear tires for sandy/clay track.

sbjones73
03-23-2009, 02:52 AM
ok guys i just got the approval to get my slightly modded 84 250r onto a local club owned track. i will be the only trike there. so i need your opinions.

i have been doing some searching on rear tires. i will be going with 20's for sure. 20x11x8 but what kind?

the ones i have to really pick from are
1) itp hole shots
2) maxxis razors
3) turf tamers
4) fast trekkers (i think they come in a 8" rim)

the track is very dusty sand with clay underneath. a lot of bikes are saying that they are having problems hooking up. that is why i am here asking you all

thanks!!!!!!!!:cool:

this guy
03-23-2009, 04:20 AM
I don't know if you can get these for your rim size, but I have had great experience with the ITP holeshot XCR they are light (easy on your clutch) strong and hook up great everywhere.

I was looking at the maxxis razors, but they seemed kind of heavy when I checked them out. Maxxis does make awesome tires though, that's all I'll put on my two wheeled machines anymore.
Have you looked at the dunlops that come stock on the YFZ450 quad, they look about right for what you want to do.

sbjones73
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah i was thinking of the same thing with the maxxis. a bit heavier.

that is my problem, i want a light tire, a little easier to keep the r's up there and ot kill my clutch. thanks for your input.!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Atc
03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
itp holeshots are goob but never get shredder tires they suck

Billy Golightly
03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd reccomend turf tamers. A lot of the quad MX tires are just a bit to much for the the trikes unless their setup damn near perfectly.

sbjones73
03-24-2009, 02:56 AM
i have heard some bad things about the turf tamers. mostly when they are stock. some one mentioned before on another topic about cutting the tamers and they work awesome, any idea on that?

also what types of front tires are still available for out triked. i would like to stay stock size or really close to it.
thanks

sbjones73
03-24-2009, 02:59 AM
i can get some tamers for like 35 a piece, but not sure about the "cutting " people have talked about. any pics or anything that would show the cutting of the tamers would be great.

also the 20x11x8 tamers are only rated for 50 mph!!!! that kind of surprised me.

TimSr
03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
ok guys i just got the approval to get my slightly modded 84 250r onto a local club owned track. i will be the only trike there. so i need your opinions.

i have been doing some searching on rear tires. i will be going with 20's for sure. 20x11x8 but what kind?

the ones i have to really pick from are
1) itp hole shots
2) maxxis razors
3) turf tamers
4) fast trekkers (i think they come in a 8" rim)

the track is very dusty sand with clay underneath. a lot of bikes are saying that they are having problems hooking up. that is why i am here asking you all

thanks!!!!!!!!:cool:

If by "track" you mean MX track, you'll want to scratch the first two options, unless you have some bald ones laying around. Lots of guys are running the other two. Lack of traction is rarely a problem on a track. Too much traction is common. If you find the Fast trekkers or the Turf Tamers still provide too much traction, (TriZ geometry) Im running Turf Savers on the track, unless its muddy. Those other tires work well for quads, but trikes get a lot more traction with a lot less tire, and breaking loose on the corners is the name of the game for track riding. Also, youll want to scratch the 20", and go with 18". The closer your weigh is to the ground, the faster you can go around corners.

sbjones73
03-25-2009, 03:37 AM
yeah i have been thinking of going with the 18's but i plan to ride with the same tires on other terrain. so i think i have made up my mind.

i am going to go with turf tamers in 20x11x8 size. now some one in here (not sure who) mentioned something about cutting the turf tamers not sure if anyone knows anything about this. i probably would not do but just would like to know.

thanks guys for the opinions. !!!!!!!!!!

anyone got any thing for the front end. like what is still available in the stock sizes.? i have a 11" rim so that is making it toghter for me to find a tire at this point. i have my tire guy from work looking into it( the one i am getting my turf tamers from) we shall see what happens.

sbjones73
03-25-2009, 03:43 AM
forgot to add, i will be dropping my rear suspension some, that will help some for sure. right now it is way up there.

ditchmud
03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
First off cograts on getting permission and for having the huevos to get out there.
I would have to agree with Tim sr. ( whole lot of experience ) and say that you really need an 18" turf tamer or fast trekker.
Last year at trikefest my son raced my 350x in the mx. He was running a 20" spider track tire. The problem wasn't a lack of traction but he had too much traction and couldn't turn in the corners. You need to be able to break the rear end loose and slide the rear around in the corners. The same tires that work well on a quad won't work at all on a trike. But if you really need to go with a 20" tire I have found that a set of worn stock tires from a 400ex or 450r or the likes works very well. you can get them for free or for very little money. I ride with a set of tires from my 400ex that I had replaced because they were worn down to the wear bars in the tread. They work very well in the trails and I plan on trying them on the track.
For the front everyone seems to like the kenda max. Here is a link to another thread dedicated to tire reviews for more experienced opinions: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=90146&highlight=tires
Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!

sbjones73
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
thanks man, that was what i was looking for.

also thanks for all the info,

you guys rock

harryredtrike
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
im going with turf tamers,personal preferance.i like them:Bounce