PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking Sucks

Macs
03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I have smoked for over half my life and have decided to quit. Well, with the wife nagging and the latest jump in price i am forced to. I have smoked two packs a day for 15 years and now i have been exactly thirty hours without a smoke. It sucks, my skin is crawling and i just want to beat the crap out of somebody, anybody!!!

chris200x
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Good luck. you gotta keep trying if you break. lol

I went and bought those commit lozengers on monday, and was doing pretty good on them,, until yesterday when my kid got suspended from school! LOL!!!

Dammit!
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Hang in there man. Once you get over the hump it will be worth it.

Daddio
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
It sure isn't easy but you'll be glad you did. I quit almost 4 years ago and I'm damn glad I did.

Raziel661
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Good luck. you gotta keep trying if you break. lol

I went and bought those commit lozengers on monday, and was doing pretty good on them,, until yesterday when my kid got suspended from school! LOL!!!

LMFAO!!! What did he do this time???:lol:

chris200x
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
LMFAO!!! What did he do this time???:lol:

took my pot to school. :eek: shens

j/k... actin like his ole man again! :lock:

sorry bout the hijack barryman.. :postwhore But a soon as I got stressed I was lighten up again. It's very difficult to stop. you goin cold turkey?

Macs
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
A coworker hooked me up with that chantix. that medacine made me feel weird and not in a good way. It mad eme feel like i was crashing off a coke binge....... so itook that for a week and stopped it yesterday. I am not sur ehow much it is helping but i couldnt imagine it beeing much worse. Actually yesterday was really bad, today i am maintaing my feelings alot better.

Macs
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
damn, i think the lack of nicotene has really affected my speling.

Raziel661
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I was able to quit for about 3 months about 2 or 3 years ago. The first 2 weeks is really tough cuz your body is cleansing itself of the nicotine. It does get better though. You just gotta find ways to keep busy. Just dont think about it. I always kept some hard candy in my pocket for when I would get a craving. Just stick to it, alot of people try many times at first before they actually quit. It's almost time for me to try again. :rolleyes:

ATC-Eric
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I smoked for over 10 years of my life, so I know exactly what your going through right now. I havent had a cigarrette since July!

It wasnt about the nicotine really at all for me, more so the habbit. Smoking was my happy place, my break from reality. I have quit on several occassions, once as long as 6 months. Now Im going for the gold.

Hang in there man!

The Goat
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
carry a bottle of water with you everywhere you go. it helps.

I went from over a pack a day during the week, two to three packs a day on the weekend nights... to nearly nothing.

I had five or so last night...first time in a long time...tasted like straight ass.

the good thing about slowing down or quitting is that your taste and smelling sensitivity goes through the freaking roof.

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
took my pot to school. :eek: shens

j/k... actin like his ole man again! :lock:

sorry bout the hijack barryman.. :postwhore But a soon as I got stressed I was lighten up again. It's very difficult to stop. you goin cold turkey?

ROTFLMFAO!

I quit after 20 yrs, it was easy being locked up 8 months in the penn...:lock:

mutch better breathing now.I STILL HAVE CRAVEINGS THO..:crazy:

threewheelin-feelin
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
i hear ya guys ive been smoking for about 3 years now...and i actully really enjoy it...and i dont have any desire to quit...i do however want to cut back just because of the price...i do about a pack a day and i want to try to cut it to half a pack a day to save money but thats just as hard i think as actully quitting

atctim
03-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Wow - I haven't smoked for 10 months - I have mostly forgot about how long it has been already - cravings don't come around too much anymore - it is super hard - but stick with it - it's worth it!!!

oldtime3wheeler
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I quit over 2 years ago by going cold turkey. I was hard at first, but just kept telling myself if I really wanted one I could have it tomorrow. After awhile you start the cravings go away. I made sure I went to the bar right when I quit to get used to being around smoke. Now I can sit in a bar or around people smoking and not have an interest at all. It is worth the struggle. I also have young kids and want to try and be around as long as possible for them.

Brockey
03-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I had quit and started up again. But as for cutting back I can suggest a few things that work for me.

1. No smoking in the house. Was easy for us, we didn't want to smoke around the kids.

2. No smoking in your car, truck, van etc.... Once again kids.

3. When u go out to have a smoke or in the garage to work on bike, car whatever, take one. Make it a pain in the butt to have to get cleaned up and go back in the house to get one.

4. Bubble gum!!!

5. Wait until after you have had you morning grub job before u have a smoke.

6. Try skipping that last one before u turn it at night.

Good luck, these tricks are working for me.

threewheelin-feelin
03-30-2009, 01:20 AM
I had quit and started up again. But as for cutting back I can suggest a few things that work for me.

1. No smoking in the house. Was easy for us, we didn't want to smoke around the kids.

2. No smoking in your car, truck, van etc.... Once again kids.

3. When u go out to have a smoke or in the garage to work on bike, car whatever, take one. Make it a pain in the butt to have to get cleaned up and go back in the house to get one.

4. Bubble gum!!!

5. Wait until after you have had you morning grub job before u have a smoke.

6. Try skipping that last one before u turn it at night.

Good luck, these tricks are working for me.

yeah these are good tips im slowly starting to do these myself...like i said its not so much cravings for me...its more of a enjoyment and stress reliever...and a cigarette and a ice cold beer are like a cheese burger and frys lol they just go perfect together

Macs
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I am at 5 days without a smoke, i take that back. Saturday i smoked a cig. But that was it. It is starting to get better but i cant stop eating. Yesterday i went to the breakfast buffet, after church i had a huge slab of ribs, okra, fries.... Then i ate 2 dinners. One at 5:00 and another at 8:00. I am going to be fat.

Yamada
03-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Bring a bag of babby-cut carrots with you.

ditchmud
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I had accupuncture done january of '08 and I haven't smoked yet. I smoked for 24 years.

Bryan Raffa
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I am at 5 days without a smoke, i take that back. Saturday i smoked a cig. But that was it. It is starting to get better but i cant stop eating. Yesterday i went to the breakfast buffet, after church i had a huge slab of ribs, okra, fries.... Then i ate 2 dinners. One at 5:00 and another at 8:00. I am going to be fat.

I gained weight also..it normal... eat away!

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I spoke with a guy on a job site and he was sharing his theory with me, I don't smoke anyhow aside form a once in awhile 4:20, which to me is amazing because when I was young I couldn't imagine life without weed :lol: now that I'm older it makes me tired and paranoid and I couldn't care less about.

Anyhow, he told me that he felt the biggest issue was the though that you could NEVER EVER smoke again, he felt that already sets people up for failure. He told me he got the nicorette gum and still allowed himself a smoke once a day. They he cut it down to every couple days and then about one a week he'd have a smoke.

He said it works for him. He also said the gum is NOT cheap so he doesn't use it to replace a cigarette every time he wants one, he's slowly weening off of the gum as he goes. It had been a few months when I talked to him and what he said made sense.

It's tough to stomach the word "NEVER" but not so bad if you can have some self control and enjoy a smoke once in awhile. It may not work for everyone, but I thought I'd share it with you smokers......

the great gazoo
03-31-2009, 05:39 AM
I've been smoking since I was 8, & was diagnosed with COPD(congestive obstructive pulmonary disease, AKA pre emphysema). I use the nic lozenges, they help, but ya gotta have will power. What makes it really hard is drinking beer, so I'm pretty much going to have to give that up, at least for a good while.