PDA

View Full Version : another scam???

killerklown
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
My girlfriend and I replaced our 1970's refrigerator and stove with brand new units a few months back. Energy star, name brand units, no larger than originals. We have yet to see any reduction in our utility bills whatsoever...
What's up with that?

Mrs.Mosh
03-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Do you have other energy sucking items on all the time? Well pump, water bed, big freezer,etc. Or are you on what they call a budget with your electric company?

SYKO
03-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a huge home and my electric bill last month with the heater running was only 84 beans and I got some OLD azz appliances as well.....

the refridgerator is set to the warmest setting same with the freezer, dont keep anything that you dont plan on eating in a short period of time either

the highest bill was last summer the ac all the way down to 65 on 100+ days and it was 120 then.

if you have those old ass apliances I can gurantee it isnt those blowing your bill, probably the lack of inuslation is the real culprit

Brad200X
03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
X2 We have an old Kelvinator that we unplugged and saw no difference in the electric bill. Only problem with these old fridges with the freezer in them is that if you go too long without defrosting the inside turns into a giant ice cube! That's reason enough to upgrade.

dcreel
03-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I thought the energy star savings are based on a year? I'm not so sure that the savings would be large enough for you to see yet. But I agree with Syko that there is another thing like your insulation that is the problem. We have a fairly large house and our bill varies quite a bit. Without turning everything but the fridge off, I'm not so sure we would even notice the change.

MonroeMike
03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Compare your bills over the last few months, they may have increased the cost per kWh in your area.

killerklown
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I just thought there should have been improvement in efficeincy with the "icebox".
You may be right about the rates. That would be my luck. Our utilities in this tiny town are horrible. We're closing on a house next week. But right now, she has a 2 bedroom upper duplex, and it's between $250-$300 a month.
We've been unplugging basically everything in the place at night, besides the fridge. Heat prettty much off too. They are talking about raising the taxes and fees around here again too! Town of 1500 +/- and we hired a city administrator from Chicago who's full of ideas!!!
Buying properties with plans of bringing in business, then we sell them at a loss. Remodel city hall so he had a better office a year ago, now we need a COMPLETE NEW BUILDING for him already. The list is too long..
Makes me think really hard about the WE THE PEOPLE video here in the open forum.
LAter guys

Dirtcrasher
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Stoves are basically heaters with elements of a given wattage. The voltage never varies, it just cycles on and off.

1000 watts = 1KW hr and thats how they charge you.

The oven element and broiler element are probably roughly the same Wattage as the old ones....And the only time the insulation in the oven would really save you any cash would be through repeated use and or a 6hr Turkey.

The refrigerator on the other hand, has to stay about 40 degrees all the time so insulation and gaskets would affect it's savings. It's also using a different refrigerant now a days and a more efficient compressor and condenser.

And new refrigerators have heaters in them with keep them "frost free" but heaters use watts!! Didn't think the lack of ice was free did ya :lol:

Even still, the fridge may save you a couple dollars a month and thats about it.

Home heating systems and central air conditioning would net you some savings you would see immediately.

Thats why I want a VIESSMANN boiler with a 50% or better anual energy savings!!