PDA

View Full Version : EDIT: Looking for information on later model Medium Duty trucks.

LonesomeTriZ
03-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I am gathering information on some of the parts that come on F650’s. I would like to learn more about the hydraulic braking system on them. I need a break down of the components and rotor diameter, if you have photographs that would be a huge help. Also, is the lug pattern a standard ten lug? Meaning, can I take a rim off a F650 and reinstall it on a modern semi? What kind of running gear do they have? I am very interested to know the type of front end the four wheel drive models use. Also, is there a good online source to check on the price and availability of parts? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I am limited on my searching abilities right now.

EDIT

I am now gathering information on ALL Medium Duty trucks that come with hydraulic breaks. Do any of you own one or have access to a Medium Duty truck with hydros? I do not care if it is a Ford, GM, International, Mack, or what ever. I want to know about the breaking system and if it has rotors or drums and the lug pattern. I am interested in hydraulic disks on all four corners and the component break down. Photographs would be a huge help as well. I also would like to know about a good online source I can get price and availability from. Oh, and feel free dumb it down for me.

firehart
03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
What year of F650s are you looking into? Some of the older models used a big 6 lug pattern. Most off the older ones used what was called a Hydra-vac for a power brake booster. I'm not sure about newer models. I only messed around a little with ones from the late fifties and early sixties. It also depends on if they have Budd wheels or Dayton wheels. Dayton wheels are the ones that when taken off you only have the outer rim with no center.

smokinwrench
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
My old company had a couple F650's. They both had airbrakes, I know you can get both styles though. I can't remember exact size of wheels but I think truck low pro 22"s(?) would work. Ours had Cat 3126 for engines. If I rember rigth both of ours had 6 speeds tranny's in them. I know you can get about any style you want. Ours had a fancy air ride suspension system.

As for a 4x4 find a firefighter they have the only 4x4 F650's I have seen.

Name Brand
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Ford doesn't sell the F650 in a 4x4, but there are conversion companies that do it. The frame rearward of the cab is nice and straight; makes it very easy to put on any type of body you can think of. Many different wheelbases are available. If you need it to be super short, it's a pretty simple job off sliding the entire rear suspension forward, drilling new holes in the frame and cutting off the tail of the frame that is no longer needed. Shorten the brakelines and driveshaft. I've done this to a handful.

Are you asking more toward how well the brakes on the truck work or more toward using the brake components on something else? I have seen a nice brake setup on a rear 2.5 ton rockwell using F700 rotors and F550 calipers...

LonesomeTriZ
03-30-2009, 01:25 AM
I am more interested in getting them to work on somehting else. To my knowledge (I could me wrong) they have the biggest hydro brake system on any Ford. As far as the year break, I do not know. I am intersted in what every time frame they introduced modern hydro disk breaks on all four corners.

LonesomeTriZ
03-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Oh yeah, what years were the six lug pattern offered?

jason85atc250r
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
the tree service guy i used to work for has a 1995 international truck that has dics brakes all the way around. the 87 he has rear drum. i'm not sure about the 92 international he has.

what do you want them for? there is a u pullit yard close to me that has big trucks like that in it. you can get a rear end for around $300

LonesomeTriZ
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I wish I had time to drive up there when I am on R&R. I would prefer going to a place like that for my research.

I have a biuld planned for when I et home. I want to have these parts waiting on me.

jason85atc250r
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
the place is open every day of the year except major holiday days. just letting you know

LonesomeTriZ
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
As mauch as I would love it, I will not have that much time. Maybe after I come home for good.