PDA

View Full Version : scrap metal

threewheelin-feelin
03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
hey guys i was just curious how many of you guys use scrap metal as a second source of income...i go out 3 nights a week here on the different trash nights in my area and pick stuff up...i usally fill my 8 foot bed silverado and and my 6 foot bed s10 up till stuff is coming hanging over the cab lol...and how are the prices there...my 350x project was pretty much paid for by scrap money...i also pick up stuff in the free section on craigslist and resale cheap like couches and old freezer or refridgerators that still work....scrapping rocks!

chris200x
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.dumpsterdivers.com/ ... here ya go.. LMAO!!!

I've done it from time to time.. heck.. I should take a bag with me next time I go ridng.. I could probably fill it with beer cans in no time.

rdlsz24
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
My dad does a lot of demolition work at his job and people are always throwing copper, brass, aluminum in the dumpster and he digs it out. He has probably been doing this for 20 years. When I was younger I would go with him to the scrap yard. This one time we took a trailer full of aluminum roofing from a shed that was being taken down. The guy just wanted the roofing gone. We got $1600 for it lol. He is also the can man, and everybody saves their beer and pop cans for him.

Rob

Howdy
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I try scapping as much as possible. In the past few years we have been selling over 5 grand a year in scrap. Took a Plymouth Voyager mini van pulled the motor tranny, and tires and then filled it full of scrap / junk. When we hauled it the van weighed 4.98 Tons ( no motor or tranny ). To me that is filling a mini van.

Currently we are just cleaning our scrap ( coper, brass, aluminum, ect ) and stock piling it. I know we have a ton of aluminum plus unknown amounts of other metals.
We also have one heck of a steel pile building up as well. The kicker is most people dump the stuff off to us. We just clean, sort and sell it.
Howdy

killerklown
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I've done some of this as well. It's not worth it's weight in poop right now though. And I think pretty much everyone is stock piling it, so when the market rebouns we will still be flooded with supply, and that may keep the profits down longer as well...IMO

Dirtcrasher
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I made about 4K last year in copper and AC coils. I'm sitting on about 700lbs of copper right now but copper is down to about 1/2 of what it was a year ago. I'll sit on it until I have to unload it.

Last spring we got 200$ a ton for just junk steel, 4$ a pound for #1 copper and #2 just under that, 3$ a pound for coated copper wire, 2$ for aluminum copper mix coils....

What are you guys at now??

It's a great extra source of income!

Brad200X
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Me and my dad tried this not too long ago as well. Probably had a ton of scrap metal and only got like $100 bucks for it. However we scraped some old rusting hulks that were in the way and got 200 a car! Not bad!

Mr.Atc
03-31-2009, 03:09 PM
my grandpa used to work for the telephone company and when he retired he got a semi load of copper for free and all last summer i was burning it and made probably 7 thousand and i didn't burn it all scrapping is what made me buy my 250r

threewheelin-feelin
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
well right now im not sure what everthing is a pound since i havent picked up much other then copper...but i know steel is 4 cent a pound and it was 7 cent a pound last year...copper is like $1.25 a pound and dirty aluminum is like 40 cent a pound but its all back on the rise now...think god...but last sumer i must have made $2000 off of this ...oh i miss the high prices lol

rdlsz24
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
all last summer i was burning it

Nice! I spent many Saturdays when I was young hanging out with my dad while he burned the coating off copper wire. I used to stare at the fire and all the different blue and green flames lol. Sometimes he let me use the pitch fork to take the pile of wire off the fire.

Rob

killerklown
03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
We should probably mention that burning copper is toxic.

brapp
03-31-2009, 08:03 PM
my scrap busniness is B.C. Chang lol and make pretty good money doign chang and excavation work its a shame the prices suck again last summer was a killer!