PDA

View Full Version : 250r new topend/running hot

haste-the-day
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a 91 lt 250r and just had a new top end put in. I ran some heat cycles of about 20mins riding then let it cool down for a good 30minutes each time. I prob have about 6hrs on the new top end. I have coolant in the radiator and you can see it is cycling, i haven't been seeing any antifreeze overflowing either but it gets hot to the point where you cant' even touch the cylinder/motor. I have two friends who have the same wheeler and you can hold your hand on their motor after riding for as long as you want....where mine u can only touch it for a sec. Is this normal because of the friction of a new piston or do i need to be worried? Any advice would be great.

cr480r
04-01-2009, 04:00 AM
i haven't been seeing any antifreeze overflowing either but it gets hot to the point where you cant' even touch the cylinder/motor.

that doesnt sound abnormal to me if its being ridden hard..

I have two friends who have the same wheeler and you can hold your hand on their motor after riding for as long as you want....where mine u can only touch it for a sec. Is this normal because of the friction of a new piston or do i need to be worried? Any advice would be great.

Yours may be running hotter because of lean jetting or advanced ignition timing... Is your jug overbored more than your friends bikes?

haste-the-day
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I"m bored .40 over and one of my buddies is .80 over and the other is stock. I doubt it is lean jetting....at least on the main jet part. i'm jetted pretty rich and i've done a few plug chops that look decent.

cr480r
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
is your silencer in good condition? I have seen the cores fall apart and cause a serious restriction.. are you using a head gasket or O-rings?

haste-the-day
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
silencer is brand new.....i'm not sure what u mean by gasket or 0 rings....the pipe has a "flange" that connects to the motor...no 0 rings. Thanks for the suggestions though.

MTS
04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Them lt's have a bleed screw on top of the cyl head? i know a few other mid-late zooks iv had did, would cause a air pocket in them- not sure on the lt tho,