PDA

View Full Version : Who has parents with health issues?

firehart
04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Who has parents with health issues? My wife has diabetes and does take care of herself. I've talked to my co-workers and they say I should do "tough love" with her. Get rid of all the bad foods and make her eat right. How do you do that? My daughter wants me to take away her car. Some people say, Put her in daycare. This sucks.

AutoXer
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
My wifes parents both have diabetes and don't take care of themselves .... its really sad because you want to force them into it but you really can't do that its like a addiction unless they want it its not going to happen

Macs
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
My wife lost her aunt to not taking care of herself with diabetes. She lost alot of her toes. My wife wanted to step in but didnt want to be the bad guy. She has been gone for about four years now and it still eats my wife up that she didnt do something to help. So that is something you need to think about. Have you ever watched the show, Intervention? They have the best technique for getting someone to see the light.

On a slightly diffrent circumstances my dad has asbestosis, welding rod poisoning and emphazyma which was caused by the other two. He is a hard headed old man. He would not take his oxygen and kept passing out. So i hired some nurses to visit him twice a day. He wouldnt let them in and was being difficult. So i laid down the law, told him he is cut off if he is going to act like a 2 yo. Quite paying for everything, he got worried and straightened up. I hated to do it but i wanted my kids to know there grandfather.

firehart
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
We went to the doctor today. They are going to do ultra sounds on her legs this afternnon. Later today we have to go get special support hose and on Friday they are wrapping her legs in some kind of special wrap that helps the swelling and seeping and also helps with the sores. They also tested her thyroid to see if that is why she's sleeping so much.

ditchmud
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
My Mother has diabetes, asthma, and M S. She used to be in the hospital a lot. And she didn't get around well. After my Father passed away (he was the healthy one and died accidently) my Mother's health has been much better. She could barely walk at times due to the ms before when my dad was still here. Now I wonder if my dad didn't enable her to be that way and now that she is on her own she has to do more and is less sick. That's just my theory.
Any way I really hope things turn for the better for you and although you Love her dearly you might have to force her to do the things she doesn't want to do. Talk to her Dr. privately and ask him to be frank with you and give you some advice. God bless you both!

Triple B!
04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
yeah, AutoXer already started to enlighten on this, but...

my parents are terrible, seriously. they both have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, my mother has asthma, and my father has that nueropothy (sp?) which make his legs swell and look all yucky.

I really wish they would do better for themselves, i honestly do. I remember times when we would do so much as a family, but no they don't do much at all other than sit and watch TV and go to doctors appointments that they don't seem to take seriously enough. My aunt even passed away from diabetes complications, and you would think that would be a strong enough message?

*sighs* i just don't know....

ThinktwiceZ71
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
my parents are in good health , but not soo much for me. On january 4th 2005 at 22 years old i had a heard attack. It wasn't anything i could have controlled , no plaque in my arteries , or buildup , it was a blood clot in my right coronary artery. I had balloon angioplasty and heart cathiterization and 3 stents put in. a Year after the fact they found out i have Essensial thrombocytosis. I have tripple the amount of platelets in my blood i am supposed to have , so my blood is like jelly. for the rest of my life i have to take a plavix , asprin , lipitor , 3 anagrelide (for essential thrombocytosis) fish oil pill and altace. It sucks. But i am thankfull every day i am still alive and doing whatever i want within reason , and no looking back. It scares the hell out of you tho , because any little pain in the chest , arm , headache, really makes you think about it.

Triple B!
04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Thinktwice, like you said it really makes you think about how you look at life when you go though an ordeal such as yours. I am really glad you are optimistic and living life to the fullest though. :D
You are an example of live and learn in a way, not taking things for granted i mean, keep on ridin man! :beer

I really wish my parent's would learn from their experiences... kinda like how you have been trying to live and learn from what happened to you... My aunt passed away, and both of their health is obviously deteriorating, yet they still don't seem motivated to do anything about it... it's frustrating yet disheartening at the same time. It almost brings me to tears thinking about losing my parents like this, yet I still know it's a definite possiblity.......... :cry:

firehart
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
My daughter and I are now the meanest and lowest creatures on Earth. I hid my wife's car keys. Today she fell and gave herself two black eyes. She'll probably call the cops on me. On Friday she wiped out whole row of orange construction barrels on her way home from the doctors office. My granddaughter told me.

ThinktwiceZ71
04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
/\....i am sorry to hear that . But i think it sounds like your thinking of her and everyone elses best interests.

factoryX
04-13-2009, 04:03 AM
My daughter and I are now the meanest and lowest creatures on Earth. I hid my wife's car keys. Today she fell and gave herself two black eyes. She'll probably call the cops on me. On Friday she wiped out whole row of orange construction barrels on her way home from the doctors office. My granddaughter told me.

holy crap dude, no more car for her...:(

Triple B!
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
jeez firehart, that is terrible. I know it seems like you're being a warden but like thinktwice said your probably acting in her and everyone else's best interest.

She sounds like she is in a bad way, but she is also a very very lucky woman to have a man like you by her side during these troubling times... in sickness and in health, right? God bless you man, you're definitely her angel when she needs it.:)