PDA

View Full Version : Turbo on a two stroke?

LonesomeTriZ
04-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Just kicking around the idea. I have a chance to get my paws on some small turbos in need of being rebuilt. I was thinking it might be a good idea to install one on my big block build when I get home. But, boost is not always your friend and that is a one of a kind engine. I am not even sure if I could get it to work with an expansion chamber anyway

SYKO
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
ive seen banshees with them... how bout you send a turbo over for the NINJA-z?

LonesomeTriZ
04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I have seen the on Shees as well. I am just a little concerned about the engine I will be installing it on.

That poor, poor Tri-Z.

SYKO
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
oh quite your damn whinnin...your such a restore baby.... whaa whaa whaaaaa jsut for that im going to chop up another Z!! and put a HONDA MOTOR IN IT!! that way it will finaly run right!!

LonesomeTriZ
04-13-2009, 02:26 AM
I would threaten to beat you with something wet and nasty, but you would like it too much.

JohnR.
04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
The work better on the Banshees because they have two cylinders which makes the exhaust flow into the turbo more smooth. The "pulses" from a small single cylinder engine aren't the best way to run a turbo.

John

LonesomeTriZ
04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
That is a good point.

Yamada
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
The work better on the Banshees because they have two cylinders which makes the exhaust flow into the turbo more smooth. The "pulses" from a small single cylinder engine aren't the best way to run a turbo.

John

You just need a smaller turbo in this case. I've read about supercharging a car engine, the number of cylinder doesn't matter, it is the volume of air the engine pump that is important.

LonesomeTriZ
04-13-2009, 08:58 AM
That is true as well. I planning on using a small one, like I said I do not want to blow this engine.

JohnR.
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
A turbo is different than a supercharger so its apples to oranges. I've been working with turbo auto/truck applications for over 10 years now so I know a good bit about them. You can put a smaller turbo on but it will still not work efficiently because the small, single cylinder engine pulses the exhaust wheel of the turbo rather than give it a smooth, constant flow of exhaust to spin it. Its not so much about the size of the engine as it is about it being a single cylinder that only fires once every 360 degrees. A two cylinder (Banshee) will fire twice as often which gives a smoother exhaust stream to feed the turbo. Besides, a very small turbo will be a very BIG restriction in your exhaust.

John

Billy Golightly
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Louis I made a post in this forum several months ago when someone else was asking about turbos. Do a search for it and you'll find it. I got very serious about this for a while and bought a few books, specifically on turboing motorcycles and 2 strokes. It can be done, but its an AWFUL lot of work even with a sealed, self lubricating turbo. And a metric trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro ton of work if you have to use a normal oil pressurized style...

LonesomeTriZ
04-14-2009, 02:43 AM
John, thanks for clarifing

Thanks, billy. I will look it up. From what I have leanred so far, I agree it si too much truoble and not enough reward. With all the 450 conversions and other recent monster biulds, I doubt I can make this engine competetive any more. I will just biuld a really nice strethed Z and enjoy it rather than race it.

1upfront
04-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's a cool link http://forums.everything2stroke.com/2-strokes-news/34378-400hp-artic-cat-2-stroke-turbo-kit-pix.html

LonesomeTriZ
04-15-2009, 01:59 AM
That is freaking cool.

brapp
06-28-2009, 10:31 PM
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2005/04/28/bikepics-342705-800.jpg

carburation and keepng cranks eals and gaskets under pressure is the hardest issue

theBOOSTDOCTOR
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
A turbo is different than a supercharger so its apples to oranges. I've been working with turbo auto/truck applications for over 10 years now so I know a good bit about them. You can put a smaller turbo on but it will still not work efficiently because the small, single cylinder engine pulses the exhaust wheel of the turbo rather than give it a smooth, constant flow of exhaust to spin it. Its not so much about the size of the engine as it is about it being a single cylinder that only fires once every 360 degrees. A two cylinder (Banshee) will fire twice as often which gives a smoother exhaust stream to feed the turbo. Besides, a very small turbo will be a very BIG restriction in your exhaust.

JohnIn theory, I would think that you are right; but I have seen a few 1 cylinder turbos. There's a guy on PlanetSand that has made over 150rwhp with a turbo Saber(500cc 250R). I've seen a scooter make 40rwhp and many 4stroke 1 cylinder turbos. I plan to try it soon on this bike. I'll be using a blow-through set-up, since I have alot experience with them.

somekidwithanm4
07-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Lol nice swingarm. It'll work. You just might blow a few fingers, frames, gaskets and exausts in the process