PDA

View Full Version : How many here are unemployed?

Dammit!
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Just curious.

How many people here over the age of say, 20, are currently unemployed?

I've been fortunate enough to keep finding jobs but the jobs I've had over the last several years are mostly commission pay and are extremely up and down over the last two years or so. Even though I haven't been unemployed more than a week for as long as I can remember, most months over the last year I've had more money going out than coming in. Better than being out of work completely but it still sucks.

whyzee
04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
count me in due to severe wrist, and hand injury. funny thing is, i was getting my hours cut anyway 4 days after the accident :eek:
time for some ebay selling of the toys :rolleyes:

1985BigRed250ES
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
been out of work since the 8th of this month it hasnt been a week and I am already goin crazy, bored to hell as I have put my restore project on hold

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I haven't worked since Jan 20th, but I've sure done allot of sleeping :D

ditchmud
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know how to answer your poll. I just want back last week after being off for 5 weeks, But after this week I'll be off again for at least 2 more weeks. It sucks, I can't catch up and allready sold my big red. I won't sell my 350x just yet but somethings gonna have to happen soon.

Yamada
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I work on my dad and uncle farm. If they fire me it is because they are selling the farm.:lol:
But in the next months I will become owners of 25% of the farm.
So I don't plan to fire me this year.

Billy Golightly
04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been considering going out of state again. There really is nothing going on here. The entire county is in crisis mode pretty much. We have a large poultry processing plant here thats been the main employer for probably 30 years. They were bought last year by Pilgrims Pride, which is in bankruptcy now.

They've laid off 1/3 of their employees at that plant. And cut hours of everyone else down to part time so they dont have to provide insurance anymore. Their only working like 3 days a week the majority of them.

Closed the hatchery entirely, and axed almost 30 grower contracts in this county a lone. And lowered the production requests of pretty much all the others. If you didn't work for them at the plant, you worked for a grower that did contract work for them. Now theres that many growers that have had their contracts canceled, and all the work that each one of those growers had is gone down the tube.

It even goes further then that, and the small time farmers and organic fertilizer businesses around here are hurting because they got their chicken manure from the growers. And now with that many less sources, everyone is having to compete for whats left, and its making it near impossible to get any without REALLY shelling some bucks out for it.

And then, the growers have always been required to keep a very high standard of equipment and machinery at their farms. They have to have stand-by generators, and all kinds of really expensive high tech trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. Each chicken house costs about $800k to outfit. Most farms have anywhere from 4-12 houses. Now all the other local businesses that sold stuff to the growers to outfit the chicken houses are hurtin too, because the growers arent able to shell out the money for their required upgrades and equipment, because of their contracts being cancelled or being cut.

And not even related to the Poultry Industry, but major conventional farmers in this area that have in the past grown hundreds of acres of vegetables have decided their not even going to plant anything this season.

Its been a real trickle down effect here, and anyone that didn't believe in that before certainly is now. And the county commissioners (aka, the 5 kings of the county) beat their chests and scream about how we've become to dependent on one type of industry in the county. Well, duh. And then they kick dirt on and stifle any type of new business that would actually help the area, like my track. Brilliant group of folks we have around here.

200x Basket
04-12-2009, 02:25 PM
i used to work for Pilgrims pride in mt pleasant texas. PP is the major employer there too. that place is hurting bad right now.

i worked maintenance in the prepared food side and it was great however i could not stomach the smell of the rendering plant :puke:

Howdy
04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I have been laid off this past week, and am just 1 layoff away from a long layoff. To top that I am very close to starting the papers to be single again Truck just cost me a bundle to fix and I don't have the money to pay that bill, let alone the cost of the legal stuff I will need. I try to look at the bright side, but when there isn't a bright side there is nothing to look at. lol
howdy

chris200x
04-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I been off since march 1st. BORING!!!! But now it's fishin season.. :naughty: So I'm in no hurry.

All the overtime last quarter of the year really boosted my unemployment. :w00t: So now I sit at home for the same money I was making working. :naughty:

ATCeeya
04-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm back to work starting tomorrow. I was laid off since mid november. I was diggin the extra 25/wk too. welp, back to the coal mines I go...

Macs
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
We are lucky here in the Houston area. we havnt felt much of the recession and with oil prices rising the refineries are starting to spend money again.

dcreel
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
The wife and I have missed the last 2 lay offs here at Cessna. We thought we were in the clear. Nope, April 30th is the new layoff date. It sucks working under a guillotine.. just waiting for it to fall. They are paying a severance and helping with training so it could be worse. We have already taken a $400/month cut in pay.

Things have to get better.

MyMistress86R
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I am...have been since November 30, 2008. Not good.

ScottZJ
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow......I have been blessed compared to alot of you guys. Heck I just got a nice 12% raise too... but working for the government is becoming a scary place to work, with the new actions the pres is taking. I wish the best for those out of work and pray that something opens up for you.

Brockey
04-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Been off since December 17th. Got almost everything sold I had. Trucks not fixed, car is falling apart.

oldtime3wheeler
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Still have a 40 hour a week job, but its getting slower and slower every week. Just glad at the end of the week that I dont get called into the office and layed off, or hours cut.

Brad200X
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Been out of work since February 4th: my Birthday lol.

SYKO
04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
damn! I cant beleive all this! makes me glad to have the job that I have!! people will ALWAYS wreck there cars!!!