PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys with Wireless broadband services? Verizon, AT&T, etc?

Billy Golightly
04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got to can my internet service, WildBlue. Its satellite based because theres no DSL or cable out here where I live (and probably never will be, trust me :lol:). Its not suitable to WiFi from anywhere else either, sadly.

Wildblue has worked pretty well for a few years, but its got its set back (Monthly bandwidth caps, insane pings that keep you from doing any type of online gaming) and its EXTREMELY expensive ($150+ a month). I REALLY, REALLY, need to cut this off and get a suitable replacement. My only alternatives are some type of cellphone based wireless broadband. There was nothing available in my area back when we got the Satellite service, but its looking like Verizon has something here now. My question is, do any of you guys use these services even if it is just for your phone? I need something with pretty decent speed, or I'll just have to suffer my way back to dial up. Are you happy with the wireless broadband service your getting? Costs? Bandwidth allowances/caps?

Appreciate the input guys:beer

brapp
04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
well i ahve frontier telaphone and its is working wellits dsl that normaly wouldnt be available until the run the newer phone lines

wheelie king
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
My work computer has a verizon aircard that works GREAT everywhere I go, even in remote areas. Download speeds can vary depending on certain things, but overall VERY good. Downloads a youtube movie or something similar in seconds and rarely ever over a minute for really large files. I know they can be had for 50 bucks a month or less, and WELL worth it, IMO.

Good luck

okieRrider
04-12-2009, 09:18 PM
there is a cap on them to at 5 gig.. some say unlimited but it is up to 5 gb.. do some research before ya buy... look at hughs net satellite also.. they told me they have no cap

The Goat
04-13-2009, 12:33 PM
billy I run AT&T and there is no limit

180k/s downloads and no cap on Internet usage.

I download enough movies and music to break that in a week.

just make sure you have 3g, otherwise edge is a third the speed.

it's twice the speed of dsl.

pings wood prolly still suck though... but I conside anything over 30m/s to be unplayable...

honda250sx
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I run verizon broadband just about everywhere. Remote areas too. Good speeds. Can't complain. But I don't pay for it either. I think ours is locked at $60 bucks a month. No caps, unlimited usage.

phreakboy
04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Someone I used to be friends with also used a verizon aircard with pretty good results, he used to pickup service pretty much anywhere and the speeds were comparable to the dsl I had through verizon, but his was more reliable.

1BFC
04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Billy I got some bad news for you brother....

I have Verizon phone service and when I was at your place my phone was in Roam. That means Verizon's coverage for your area is not going to support any worthwhile internet speeds.

Perhaps another carrier has better coverage but Verizon was lacking in their network at the Golightly Compound....

Of course I'd call and talk with them to be sure, but from what I saw I'd be very surprised if you got good speeds out there.

Good internet is the only real draw back to living out away from everyone. In another 5 years it won't matter where you live though...not much help to you right now however.

Good luck with it bro, just another thing to add to your pile of stuff!