PDA

View Full Version : Stitches vs. Durabond

MyMistress86R
04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Please input with personal experiences...

Today, after many years of managing no major personal injuries, I suffered a very serious laceration to a finger. Normally, even deep cuts I can handle without much fanfair, but with this one not only did it bleed like one hell of a MFer, I saw bone before things were completely obscured.

Anyhoo...once checked out (and confirmed cut to the bone), I was given two options. Stitches or Durabond (medical superglue). The cut is a "flap" laceration, meaning I got cut at an angle, not straight in. It is also a hairs width behind my fingernail and before the knuckle, clear across the top down the entire left side. No tendon or nerve damage, thank god.

Option 1, stitches: At least 5, 2 of which would have to pass thru the nail! After having been stabbed with freeze agent. And likely to leave an ugly scar. 100% reliability and something cool to show off for a week or so.

Option 2, Durabond: Clean it, glue it shut, wear a splint for 24 hours. Possible not exactly pretty scar. FUBAR if it slips because then stitches aren't an option. Nothing really cool about it, but no additional needle pokes and no interference with the nail.

On top of having to make this choice, I had to suffer the indignity of a Tetanus shot, but that's cool cause now I'm good for a decade.

I went Durabond.

And please...no jokes about how I should have just "soaked it in cider". If that had been an option, I wouldn't be slathered in superglue!

x.system
04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I would have went stitches over the glue just because I've had it done before. The glue lasted almost 2 days and the cut opened right back up and started bleeding again. In your case I can see why with the nail, mine was over the first nuckle on my thumb, try not bending that for a couple days.

Oh, the bill for that fancy super glue, over $600 for that tube smaller than a tube of real super glue. It was only $300 until they found out they had to bill my insurance. Let me know how much they charged you for yours when you find out.

racerxxx
04-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I think you made the right choice with the glue, the military has been using it for years. I know when I get a cut (not as deep as yours) I use the glue at home, J&J makes it, and it works sweet. When my son split his head open(forehead) we waithed 3 hours with a two year old with a gaper running around the ER freaking people out. When we finally got in there the DR say "Oh I though I could have glued it", I don't know how, he never came and looked at it! So he butchered the stitches, I wish they could have glued him back together, now the poor kid has a scar on his grape for the rest of his life. All this 2 days before Disney, and we had to have them removed down there what a PITA. I don't know if they were going to use disovable stitches in you finger, if not you would of had to have them remove them.

chris200x
04-18-2009, 11:55 PM
I wouldnt even wanna think about stitches through the nail! OUCH!!!

I'd take the glue over stitches any day.

I ended up going through the windshield of my car a few years back. (well just my face lol) and I can still remember lying in the ER with them putting 60+ stitches in my nose and on my forehead right between my eyes. And they wouldn't give no kinda meds so I could lie there and laugh while they did it..

I would think the glue is a heck of a lot cheaper too!

MyMistress86R
04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
OH SNAP JIM! Are you serious? Oh god...

Thanx to being gainfully UNemployed...I don't have insurance.

Oh god...never should have went. Note to self...carry superglue and a stapler in pocket at all times from now on...

Ant2u
04-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I probably would have chosen the glue too. I cut my finger deep just like yours a about 14 years ago I they didn't give me an option. I wish I had pictures, but I cut the tip of my finger across the nail and they actually made small holes in the fingernail on each side of the cut and stiched it through both pieces. It was either 3 or 4 stitches...I can't remember.

Bryan Raffa
04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I would have went stiches.. they tickle when you pull them out yourself..:crazy: No hospital can turn you down if you dont have insurance. I have had over 1000 stiches.. never broke a bone tho..knock on wood....

MyMistress86R
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I know they can't turn me down Raffa, but they will deliver one heck of a bill soon...lol I know what you mean about the tickle too! I have removed every single stitch I have ever gotten myself.

F4K
04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm no wuss but I'd have went with glue for your injury. The whole through the nail thing gave me the willies.....BAD!!!

SWIGIN
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
for real, for that i'd of used tape and forgot about it.

but if i had to pick one of two i'd be glued.

300rman
04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
self-clean and a tube of super-glue FTW

dermabod ingredient- cyanoacrylate
superglue ingredient- cyanacrylate

same stuff...been gluing myself together for years, from tiny cuts to bad lacerations. clean it out, glue it shut, never NEVER had ANY issues.

4cylinders
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
hey, glue and tape, leave on 2 days, then change slowly.

Yamada
04-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Had 4 stitches in the neck and 3 over the eyebrow. First time I had stiches, wasn't to bad. But the way you describe your injury Mistress, I too would have chosen the superglue.

Rm250RF900R
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Superbowl sunday i smashed my head on a corner of a desk. Split my forehead wide open. They used the durabond and it worked pretty good. I was overall happy with the outcome.

MyMistress86R
04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah...my in-home med kit will be stocked with gel type superglue and sports tape from now on...normally, I prefer to take care of my own injuries, but this this thing bled like a MOTHER. I'm just not used to that much flow, and it kinda wigged me a little.

Bad cam and bad pic, but you get the idea...

SWIGIN
04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
finger tips and head wounds bleed like a mother if done right....lol

i had a skoal can size flap cut off my shin once, nothing there but bright bone....floped it back on and it grew fast....lol

MyMistress86R
04-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Update...not sure if it will change any future such decisions or not (stitches thru a fingernail is NOT a cool idea). Anyway...had the finger wrapped and braced overnight to prevent accidental bending or re-opening of the wound. Got up this morning and went to change the wrap and zing, the entire layer of glue caem right with it. So...I proceeded to clean thouroughly, re-sterilize and apply a new layer of glue using my own handy dandy bottle and voila! all good again. I think I did a better job than the doc did in the first place too...lol

1BFC
04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Not surprising you did a better job. After all, they say Doctors are "practicing" medicine for a very good reason.

Hard to find a truly good doctor. I hope your finger heals well!

factoryX
04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I love stitches, so fun when your screwing around and rip one...lol. When I was in 6th grade I was playing a game of basket ball, I sucked at the game but what the hell. Anyway somebody thought it was funny to push me and I tripped and bit my tonge in half... So I went to the ER with a sock in my mouth and 1hr and 7 stitches later I was done.

Triple B!
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah...my in-home med kit will be stocked with gel type superglue and sports tape from now on...normally, I prefer to take care of my own injuries, but this this thing bled like a MOTHER. I'm just not used to that much flow, and it kinda wigged me a little.

Bad cam and bad pic, but you get the idea...

All I have to say is.... EWWWWW!!!!! :eek:

So how is your finger now?? all super-glued up and ready to go?

I've never had anything bad like that happen to me, no broken bones or stitches or what have you... but knowing my luck I've probably just jinxed myself:shiftyeyes:

MyMistress86R
05-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Actually...all is totally cool now. No pain and looks to heal up with barely a mark. Prolly one of the sweetest recoveries from a bone deep laceration I've ever had.

MyMistress86R
05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Update...Holy rape the taxpayer, Batman! Just got the bill..$938.00. Where is my health coverage reform, Mr. Obama?

brapp
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
amputation lol