PDA

View Full Version : Pets snakes?

MyMistress86R
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Does anybody here keep snakes as pets? I'm researching getting one for my daughter and would love some experienced feedback on the subject.

Thanx

Mrs.Mosh
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Mosh and I use to have 2.
An Colombian Redtail Boa & a Ball Python.

I loved them. Thought they were great pets. What questions do you have?

MyMistress86R
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm really considering the Ball as a good starter based on other opinions, but the note about them being picky eaters concerns me. I guess corn snakes are supposed to be good too, but master escape artists. Having a snake in the house at all is gonna wig me, but having one LOOSE in the house would cause many pairs of soiled shorts...lol

So I guess it's more concerns than questions at this point. Can you pro/con the Ball for me?

Mrs.Mosh
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Picky eaters? We fed ours a mouse every few weeks. If you feed them less, they stay small.
Our snakes had their own personallity (so to speak) just like any animal. The redtail was mellow, and the ball was more "social".

As far as con....can't really think of anything. If you wanna give me a shout, it may be easier.

Oh and......

Having a snake in the house at all is gonna wig me, but having one LOOSE in the house would cause many pairs of soiled shorts...lol

:lol: You'll get over it.

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I got a one eyed snake... fussy eater.... lmao! just had to...shens

Mrs.Mosh
04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I got a one eyed snake...

Snake or worm? Sorry, just had to tooshens

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Snake or worm? Sorry, just had to tooshens

LOL ... I fell right into that one..:( :w00t:

MyMistress86R
04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I'll ring you tonight if I get a free minute Tammy. Thanx!

Dirtcrasher
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
LOL ... I fell right into that one..:( :w00t:

:wondering I thought it was a Snuffaluffagus :D

oldtime3wheeler
04-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I had a Boa and a Ball/ Royal Python too. Great pets. dont bark, or crap in your house. Cheap to feed. I had to force feed my ball python when I first got him, then he was fine. The boa would eat with not problem. My Boa was very friendly. Just becareful feeding them when they are shedding.

outtaline
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I have had threemy first when I was 8 and my other 2 when I was 20 had to get rid of them when the wife got prego five years ago be ready if you keep them healthy they live a long long time p.s. balls like to be handled more than any other

edog
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I used to have a Ball Python.......but I parted it out!!!!!

MyMistress86R
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
I think I have decided it's gonna be a Ball/Royal Python. Just gotta wait for the daughter's current hamsters to die off (YES, I considered getting her the snake and using it to fix the hamster issue...) and then I'll get serious about it...lol. I watched some youtube vids and it looked like all the BP owners handled theirs easily and without worry or complaint from the snakes.

Thanx for all the input everybody. It relaxes me a little to realize that maybe this could be a cool pet after all. Should be wicked fun once I get my new ferret! lol

OldTime ~ Everything I read on the net says you shouldn't feed them at all while they are shedding. Is that what you were referring to?

And yes...I worked very diligently NOT to say something inappropriate about outtaline's p.s. comment! Dude...did you read that before hitting post reply? OF COURSE THEY DO!! LMFAO

MyMistress86R
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I used to have a Ball Python.......but I parted it out!!!!!

I for one, do not believe you because you never ONCE posted :pics: of it!

edog
04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I for one, do not believe you because you never ONCE posted :pics: of it!

I got rid of her before I joined the site. This was before I discovered the digital camera.

I have only 2 35mm pics. I bought it for $50 when it was on a couple months old.

I sold it to a guy I used to work with. He died and gave it to his brother. Now the thing is 6 feet long and eats chickens.

Here is a snake that I have been looking at getting, Not a good idea with little one running around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqg3Pg2M9WU

Dammit!
04-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't let the ferret near the python and always wash your hands before handling the snake.

I had a boa as a kid. Great pet. Little trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro bit me around the wrist once real good though. Only the one time in probably three years of owning it.

MyMistress86R
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I didn't intend to let the two meet...lol...not likely to lead to good results for either. I concur on the hand washing before handling and also feeding, from what I have read.

Here's a question for all of you. Food supply...did you do live or keep a frozen supply or what? I'm seeing most current recommendations are saying frozen supply for captive bred pet pythons. The indication is that the mice/rats will actually hurt the snakes because they aren't as strong with hunt/kill instinct and technique as wild pythons. I also read that it can be a good idea to have a separate box completely just for feeding so they don't relate their regular habitat to food. Supposed to cut down on accidental bites when reaching into the living space for cleaning/handling/etc. Thoughts on that?

edog
04-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I didn't intend to let the two meet...lol...not likely to lead to good results for either. I concur on the hand washing before handling and also feeding, from what I have read.

Here's a question for all of you. Food supply...did you do live or keep a frozen supply or what? I'm seeing most current recommendations are saying frozen supply for captive bred pet pythons. The indication is that the mice/rats will actually hurt the snakes because they aren't as strong with hunt/kill instinct and technique as wild pythons. I also read that it can be a good idea to have a separate box completely just for feeding so they don't relate their regular habitat to food. Supposed to cut down on accidental bites when reaching into the living space for cleaning/handling/etc. Thoughts on that?

I feed mine live mice until I got rid of the snake. Always put it in a separate box for it's food. Just dump him out of the box and let him chill for a few before you pick the snake up. This is a good thing to do from when they are newborn. Some people would use finger nail clippers to cut there little teeth off. I could never bring my self to do this. Mine got bit ounce when it was little. It never happened again after that.

Twilight
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
In australia I had;

2 Ground Boa's, one was 8ft, the other was 12.
Numerous Garters
1 Rock Python, was 6ft.

Greiver430x
04-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Ball Pythons are great starter snakes, but some have eating problems. My first one had to have her tank covered to eat untill she had a mouse chew two holes in her. Then we had to kill the mice first then dump them in. Eventually she was big enough for large rats, dead of course. I also had an albino Burmese python, She was a tad bit aggresive though. I was bitten numerous times, she would strike when you first reached in even if she was fed recently but once you picked her up she was great. BIG snake also 2 years old and almost 6 feet long cool looking too, all yellow, gold, and reddish pink colors. You cant go wrong with the ball python great pets.

The Goat
04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
you know, I killed a snake yesterday...little poisonous trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro that he was.

sorry mistress, had to prod ya a little.

MyMistress86R
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
lol...you can't prod a prodder Goat. You outta know that by now. But really...it's rare that any wild snakes on my property see the next day if I spot them. That's why this could be a very tricky venture. But, it's important to her...what she wants to go to college for and do for a living eventually. How can ignore that and still consider myself better that her mom? lmao

outtaline
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
lmfao didn't know I drank that much last night balls are great