PDA

View Full Version : Life changes...

MyMistress86R
04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a few to let you all know about. Some of you have been on the inside with me for the majority of my troubles and goals over the last few months, but it's time to get the whole gang involved.

1) I have been working out regularly 3~4 times a week for overall better health for nearly 2 months now. Good in and of itself, but I smoked for 20 years and it was getting in the way...

2) Just a little less than a month ago (April 1st, to be exact) I quit smoking. It's going well and I have complete faith that it is a permanent thing.

3) Those were both done to prepare myself for this one and it finally came about. I have been officially accepted for in-processing to the Air Force National Guard! I previously spent 12 years in the Army Reserve and felt with today's economy and all that this was a win-win situation, so I took the plunge. I will be joining a local Air Guard unit full time and intend to career it out to retirement. I'm quite excited about it and thankful for the opportunity to once again serve my country.

Thanx for reading my ramble...Todd

ditchmud
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I salute you! I am too fat and too broke down to re inlist or I might join ya. Shoot, I'd have my 20 years in if I would have stayed in.

MyMistress86R
04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I know what you mean Ditch. I'd be on my way to 30 at this point. I can still pull it off though, with a couple handy grandfather clauses. Thanx for your support!

Vealmonkey
04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Best of luck to you and thanks for what you do. I did 6 in the navy and don't know if I could ever go back in.

MyMistress86R
04-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you VM. Your service and support fill me with pride!

outtaline
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Good luck with that I don't have the chance anymore. I joined the Army in 1998 right out of highschool did 2 1/2 years with the last year being in a wheel chair cause of a "training accident" I was plannin on stayin in but they told me the only thing I could do was admin and I was artillery so I said send my trailpro trailpro trailpro trailpro home good luck ride lots before you leave your gonna miss it

Russell 350X
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Congrats man! Best of luck to you. What will you be doing in the Air force NG?

MyMistress86R
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanx so much outtaline and Russel. I appreciate the support.

I have not nailed down my MOS yet as I have to see what active duty slots are open once I'm processed. Most likely, I will be flight support via the on base Red Horse Squadron. Either heavy equipment operator or heavy equipment mechanic. The group I'm joining is C-130 airlift operations and support, so at least I will get the option for some flight-time sight-seeing. I'm pretty excited about it, but nervous too for being 35 and jumping in again. At least I get to retain my pay grade and time in grade from my previous Reserve stint. I'm being enrolled in the Air Force's version of PLDC as soon as I'm in too, so I'll be NCO promotable within a year.

ATC-Eric
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Congrats on the smoking, and the carrier change!

Sounds very promissing. Good luck to you.

hinddee29
04-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanx so much outtaline and Russel. I appreciate the support.

I have not nailed down my MOS yet as I have to see what active duty slots are open once I'm processed. Most likely, I will be flight support via the on base Red Horse Squadron. Either heavy equipment operator or heavy equipment mechanic. The group I'm joining is C-130 airlift operations and support, so at least I will get the option for some flight-time sight-seeing. I'm pretty excited about it, but nervous too for being 35 and jumping in again. At least I get to retain my pay grade and time in grade from my previous Reserve stint. I'm being enrolled in the Air Force's version of PLDC as soon as I'm in too, so I'll be NCO promotable within a year.

Damn dude you can't ask for more than that. They are hooking you up.
Shoot man 35 isn't anything. Think the hardest part will be PT if you haven't kept up in shape. Congrat's man! You going to be out of Mansfield?
Have you ever had the chance to fly in C-130? If not you'll see ya why they jump out of them. HA They are fun.

I'd have my time in almost also if I didn't get hurt. If any vet reading this has a 20% or more VA rating you may be able to get into the Voc Rehab program and
get free training or schooling in a job that doesn't effect you disibility or limits it.
Check with you vetrans service commision in you county.

Good luck man, and thanks for your service!

Shane

Twilight
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Im in the ADF (Australian Defense Force)... see you on the battlefield... :twisted: lol j/k

Hope all goes well for you =)

ProCarbine2k1
04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
HAHA!!! The 179th Im guessing? I spent the last 6.5 years of my life there! Let me know where you are headed, I will be more than happy to help you out or introduce you to some folks. If you are joining the 179th, chat with me first before you pick a career field. There are going to be a LOT of changes there within the next couple of years. Good luck!!!

MyMistress86R
04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanx guys...I appreciate all your support. It makes the choice that much easier.

Hindee...Yes, I will be serving with the 179th Airlift Wing (more specifically the 200th Red Horse Squadron) out of Mansfield and no I have never been in a 130 yet, but looking forward to it someday before they are de-comm.

ProCarbine...aren't they gearing up to switch over to the new C27s?

Vealmonkey
04-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Man, I've got to fly on c-130's before on "space A" flights. They are a real go anywhere and do anything type of bird. I've seen them land, unload cargo, refuel and check the oil and kick the tires, install the racks with seats on em and fly passengers out in about 45 minutes turnaround. And I'm sure they could do it quicker if they had to. Not quite a first class ride, and those box lunches are a crap shoot, but a ride home is a ride home. And you couldn't beat the price. You should see if you could get on one of those c-130 gun ships. Now that looks like a cool deal. The modern day "Puff the Magic Dragon" version of the old c-47.

ProCarbine2k1
04-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I dont mean to take a negative approach toward the 179th getting new planes, but in my opinion I will only believe we are getting new planes when they are sitting on our tarmac. Everyone around here wants it to happen, its just that we get "approved", on hold, not sure about funding, on hold again, and then repeat.
The c27 would be a GREAT choice, it is similar to a 130, just way smaller. It would be a great plane for light transport/ troop support- which is critical to our Red Horse Unit.

Yamahondaman
04-25-2009, 04:04 PM
like on the movie (TAKEN) .... "GOOD LUCK" !!

Triple B!
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey I wish you all the best, in all three of your life ventures! You have alot on your plate going on, and I hope it all works out for you!

:Bounce I think it's really awesome that's you're trying to quit smoking! It's great for your health, but also definitely good for your wallet! Keep it up!

Also, congrats on the military move! I salute all our Soldiers in the armed forces 100% You sound very motivated and have a good plan in motion, I just hope all the best for you and give you my support in making this your career!

Good Luck Man!!!!! :D

MyMistress86R
04-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanx for all the continued support folks! It means a lot to me that people whom most of I have never even met in person can be so supportive. Truly redefines "extended family".

I also will post up my training location once I choose and get orders so I can try to meet some fellow riders from that area as well. I'm sure I'll end up with a day or two to hang out during my training stint.

ProCarbine2k1
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Depends on where you go.. You'll be able to enjoy yourself either way. If you did heavy equip, you will most likely be in Ft. Leonard Wood. Structures school is in Gulfport (atleast most of it), as well as most Civil Engineering related stuff.
Most people gripe about Gulfport, but I will be the first to say that I love Mississippi and the Gulfport/ Biloxi area.
I couldnt tell you what it is, just love the place. Other than Ohio, it is the only other place that I've called home I guess... Give me a buzz bro

MyMistress86R
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
When is your best time ProCarbine? I'll try to ring you tomorrow...

BTW...I'm only 20 minutes west of you...just west of Bucyrus...

harryredtrike
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
get in shape for the air force?i thought you just had to show up.:wondering just kidding of course,im former ARMY so thats what you get.:beer good luck in your new endevour and kill some towlies for me.:twisted:

MyMistress86R
05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Long time without an update...things were kinda stagnant for a while....

HRT...did you read my initial post? I'm former Army myself to the tune of 12 years. I kinda thought the same thing about AF though...lol

OK FOLKS...it's been a long road, but it has all finally been worked thru. I just got word today that I am 100% approved for enlistment. I'm in...back in uniform. I'm waiting for a job slot to open up and then it's nothing but swearing in and signing the papers...WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

hinddee29
05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Again congrat's HOOOHHAAAAAAA !!!! Or in the Calvary we say. AI-EEEE-YAAAHHHH!!!

So what do you do whle you are waiting? Is this going to be awhile for a slot to open?

MyMistress86R
05-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Hopefully a very short wait...I'm looking at anything and everything they offer right now, just so I can get back in.

ProCarbine2k1
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Hopefully a very short wait...I'm looking at anything and everything they offer right now, just so I can get back in.

Dude, please give me a shout before you sign anything. PM me or hit me up anytime, who is your recruiter? Take care...

The Goat
05-22-2009, 10:48 PM
good luck to you mistress.

Triple B!
05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey glad to hear you made it Mistress!! Hope all goes well for you!!!

Did you figure out all the MOS stuff yet, mechanic, or something else?

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have joined the military. I was in ROTC in high school and really loved it, but never pursued it. I just dunno if I take that much discipline 24/7 though :rolleyes:

Plus I'd probably get in trouble because I talk too much sometimes! haha:Bounce

hinddee29
05-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey glad to hear you made it Mistress!! Hope all goes well for you!!!

Did you figure out all the MOS stuff yet, mechanic, or something else?

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have joined the military. I was in ROTC in high school and really loved it, but never pursued it. I just dunno if I take that much discipline 24/7 though :rolleyes:

Plus I'd probably get in trouble because I talk too much sometimes! haha:Bounce

I hear these kind of excuses all the time. Most people just have no idea about military life in general. Sure boot and AIT is where you get all the yelling and what not. Really after the first week it's a piece of cake. Really not that hard.
After that depending on if you have combat mos or not. It's just about like any other job. Get up go to formation do alittle PT, go home change and eat. Then show back up to work then go home.
If I wasn't out in the field which I was a lot and my M1A1 Abrams Tank wasn't on deadline for some reason it was a 6 to 5 job Mon - Fri. Anybody can do it. You singed up. Well maybe not anybody there where some that shouldn't of been there.

Really miss my ride you guys think riding trikes is off roading. Try it in a 68 ton
tank doing 45mph across the desert while shooting 120mm cannon. 1 word AWESOME!

harryredtrike
05-25-2009, 12:10 AM
good news dude.hope you have a great career,cant beat twenty and out.fly high and fly straight.:beer