PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle, wood screws???

groundfly
07-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Ok, I'm just putting this here because I've seen no new post in the bike section lately. Anyway the 1987 cr 250 decided to stop starting the other day so I wheeled her in the shed and started stripping off all the plastic (first time I'v had it apart.) and quickly I'm realizing that this is not the original hardware to this bike. One screw on the side of the breather box was a self tapping wood screw :oops: ...So i get it apart where I can get to the carb a little easier, take off the carb, start cleaning it. Although it is already spottless, so i know it's doing what it's supposed to. Put it back on still won't start. So I figure I'll try some other simple things before I try to get fix somthing. Check the plug, good...Still wont start. Tighten some very loose bolts on the manifold (problem solved). Poor in the newly found oil, start's right up. :-D ..But oil shoots out of the top of the crank case everywhere, never had this happen before?? I geuss it's just a breather hole or pressure release hole for the crank case??? But it seems to be spewing alot of the oil I just put in. oh well...thats my day. I'll look more tommorow.

Tecate performance
07-21-2003, 12:27 AM
sounds like your clutch side crank seal is shot.

groundfly
07-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Well I thought somthing along that was the problem also..but it's coming out of a hole in the top of the case..about, right under the carb...it's a hole that is supposed to be there for some reason..i cant figure it out..I know a 4 stroke needs venting but this is a 2 stroke...but, im no super mechanic either..obviously.

Tecate performance
07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
that hole is the vent for the transmission. the moving gears and clutch parts make pressure and it needs someplace to go. my buddies was doing the same thing and it was the clutch side crank seal.

groundfly
07-21-2003, 09:28 PM
wow thanks...so it's probably not a good idea to run the bike till i get that fixed huh. Sorry I'm just learning about small engine's. But i appreciate the help. thanks alot

86350X
08-06-2003, 01:39 AM
I know this is a stupid sugjestion, but make sure you did not over fill the oil,,,,, if its got to much oil in it it will spurt out, Good luck

groundfly
08-06-2003, 10:14 PM
actually dude, your the right one. I over filled it, by alot. all my seals are good and crap. so your the winner..ding ding ding :-D

86350X
08-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Awesome,,,, I'm hapy to hear it was an easy fix for ya,,,,,,lol