PDA

View Full Version : Physics question

ditchmud
05-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I need an educated answer here to keep me from meeting sudden death or injury.

My son has no fear and jumps his quad and my trike very far. On the mx track he will do doubles and even jumped a large triple once. I am very proud of him and his skill level even though it scares me a lot that he might be injured or worse. At the same time my macho inner self is jealous and wants to try a double but I haven't attempted it yet.
We talked about my desire to jump a double and came up with the idea of me following him around the track so he could set the pace.

:confused: My question is that I weigh 100lbs. more than him. Will the same speed that he goes to clear a double get my lard butt safely to the other side too?:wondering

factoryX
05-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I'd start on the tables first and then work your way up from there. I would not just go out and try it first try...

outtaline
05-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Whats he weigh what you weigh and trike or quad weight

MyMistress86R
05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
It makes zero difference what each component weighs. His pace will NOT get YOU over the same obstacle correctly. You can prove this by hitting a single or tabletop as close to side by side and at the same speed as you can.

I gotta side with factoryX on this one Rich. Practice on a tabletop 1st until you are comfortable being in the air and getting the right distance to clear a small double. I'll come right out and admit that I'm a complete puss when it comes to jumping, but I have tried a couple (teeny) doubles and that's just how I did it. Well...that and a bit o liquid courage, but I won't suggest that nor condone it...lol

ditchmud
05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I've hit lots of jumps on mx tracks like the ones at haspins. I just haven't had the cajones to go big or commit to a do or die double. I usually just roll them. I'll hit a tabletop pretty good and any jump with a long downhill landing area is my favorite. Haspins used to have that one on the big mx track that was very fun with the long downhill landing untill they made it into a double last year.

But are the physics going to work for his weight versus mine at the same speed as him with 100lbs. difference between us? Once I know that answer I will work on sneaking my cajones outta my wifes purse long enough to attempt it.LOL

come on you college grads chime in please.

x.system
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Theres more to it than physics, you have wind deflection, how you hit the jump compared to your son, preload, you weigh more so you will preload the suspension more than your son would but back to your question:

If everything were the same except the weight I would say you would clear the jump with the same speed without air restrictions and this is why,

Speed x velocity would be the same, gravity pulls everything at the same rate weather you are 100 pounds or 500 pounds, your trajectory would be the same. Projectile motion without air restrictions would put you on the same landing spot, now add in wind restrictions and you will probably land in the same location or even further. (Try it out below) Drag will slow down less weight quicker than it will more weight.

Heres a nice little interactive simulation you can try, just click run now unless you want to download it. You can run it with or without air resistance. Try it out and leave out air and only change mass. Then add in air resistance and change mass a couple times and compare.

http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Projectile_Motion

outtaline
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
That makes sense now get your balls back from the old lady before the weekend and go for broke you little post whore

ditchmud
05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
That makes sense now get your balls back from the old lady before the weekend and go for broke you little post whore

Correction: I am a rather largetrr Post whore:postwhore . That's what happens when you are laid off.

Hey great info guys now if I can only get into my wifes purse before I leave for trikefest:lol: If I am gonna do it I want Mike the photographer to document whatever happens:D Most likely it'll be good for a laugh at least.

300rman
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
if you arent riding the same machines, then dont bother letting him set the pace. try jumping a few times on the quad, and after you get an idea of how to hit it, tackle it with the trike. roll over it a few times to get a feel of how the jump is going to launch you, and then go for it.

ditchmud
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
if you arent riding the same machines, then dont bother letting him set the pace. try jumping a few times on the quad, and after you get an idea of how to hit it, tackle it with the trike. roll over it a few times to get a feel of how the jump is going to launch you, and then go for it.

No I like my trike too much to abuse it like that with my weight. My quad 450r is a more capable machine and if it breaks in half then a trike it will become:naughty:

ditchmud
06-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I did it:Bounce
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg308/ditchmud/DSC02567.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg308/ditchmud/DSC02566.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg308/ditchmud/DSC02560.jpg
:beer

outtaline
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
great now the wife is gonna take your balls back and put them in her purse.:beer

SWIGIN
06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
great!

next thing you know you'll be styling

keister
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Ditchmud,
You were the man on the MX track. Must have been the Yuengling!!
Hopefully someone got some pictures of you airing out the 350X.

ditchmud
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Ditchmud,
You were the man on the MX track. Must have been the Yuengling!!
Hopefully someone got some pictures of you airing out the 350X.

:wondering I don't think I got much air on my 350x?

brapp
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
well lets see gravity has the same affect on an object wether it weighs 2 lbs or 200lbs when things come into play is momentum and pesettign the supsension (compression n the face of the jump) and overall size/ wind resitance coem into play . how abotu this ides fallow him on a smaller double or a few tabletops andset your page to his on the tabletops and then you can get a feelign of how much faster u need to go when jumping the doubles to clear the same gaps he is clearing.

factoryX
06-29-2009, 09:54 PM
lol, if he had the same shock as he does and was set to his wieght I think there is a small probability that it will work.

keister
06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
:wondering I don't think I got much air on my 350x?

Maybe not compared to Jake the Snake, but, like physics - it's all relative.

brapp
06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
in the word sof me hit ti taped out you cant loose