PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Guys, Need some advice on a 99 Dakota

timex69
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey
I was offered a trade today for my 2000 Dodge durango straight up for a 1999 dodge dakota. my durango has a 4.7 engine, auto tranny, 4x4, 210 000 KM (130 000 miles is a rough translation) Every option dodge offered except heated leather seats and it has a tow package.

The Dakota is a club cab, has a 3.9 liter engine with a manual 5 speed. It looks clean inside but its not leather, no power windows, or air. It has a cd player n tilt wheel and im not sure if the 4x4 is electronic or a linkage and the truck does not have a tow package. It has 130 000 Kilometers which translattes to about 75-80 thousand miles on it.

The way i see it. My rig is newer but has alot more km on it. It also has a list of recipts back to the day it was bought for maintenence at a Dodge Dealership. It comes with an aggresive set of winter tires and a set of all seasons which the Dakota does not get. It is fully loaded, I beleive it is more capable of towing more then the dakota and seats an extra 2 people. The dakota is more of an as is sale. The guy bought it,...had 2 kids and needs something more family friendly. It just took an inspection sticker but not many maintence recips as it has not had it that long.

Should I be asking for some cash with this trade because my durango has way more perks to it accept the high milage? I was thinking of asking for a few hundred dollars and I keep the aggresive tires because they will fit my new truck.

anyone with any experience with these trucks please fill me in. Are they problematic or a decent truck ? tell me anythign you think i should know.

Thanks guys
sorry for the long read

outtaline
05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
On a serious note don't trade you'll be pissed your Durango will last just as long if you take care of it and like you said more room and they dotow better my old roomate had a 2000 dacrapa with the small engine and it sucked

Yamada
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I heard the 3.9 liter were not good engine. The 3.9 will have the same gas comsumption as your 4.7 liter v8. I say keep your durango.

wheelie king
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Keep the durango. The dakota is just big enough to get you wanting to haul something, but still small enough to be basically useless.

Red Rider
05-19-2009, 03:56 AM
I have almost the exact same Dakota. Mine is a '99 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4x4 3.9 litre V-6 w/5 speed manual transmission. Mine has been pretty trouble-free except for a waterpump that started to go out around 55,000. I bought the truck new & it now has around 82,000 miles on it. No it's not the most powerful truck, but after owning several 4-cylinder import trucks in the past, this was a huge improvement. It's been a good truck so far. I average around 17-18 mpg city/highway.

hinddee29
05-19-2009, 06:56 AM
I had 2 wheel drive 99 3.9. It was a great truck lot of room in it. I had no
problems with hauling anything in it. Only thing with it I hated was like stated
before the thing loves gas. Mine was 14 to 16 mpg. I don't know why, but it's was about the same mpg my buddy is getting with his full size hemi. The only reason I got rid of it was how much gas it took to keep it going.

wheelie king
05-19-2009, 07:17 AM
I hope I did not come off wrong with the comment about hauling, but the power and mileage point is what I was getting to. If you want a "TRUCK" - then skip the dakota because of the horrible mileage and lack of room- Hindee is right- the hemi gets the same mileage or even better. NO kidding.

I have a nieghbor who has the 3.9 dakota 4 wheel drive 4 door, and he constantly says that he wished he would have bought a bigger truck. He also had some power steering problems and electical issues with it.

Vealmonkey
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I just came back from Bike Week at Myrtle Beach. Me and my buddy towed our bikes down. I have a titan and he has a Dakota. At half a tank in the Titan, he would be on fumes. That Dakota either has a very small tank or sucks down the gas or both. I wouldn't reccomend one to anybody. Best of luck in your decision.

Yamada
05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I just came back from Bike Week at Myrtle Beach. Me and my buddy towed our bikes down. I have a titan and he has a Dakota. At half a tank in the Titan, he would be on fumes. That Dakota either has a very small tank or sucks down the gas or both. I wouldn't reccomend one to anybody. Best of luck in your decision.

What engine is in the dakota. The 4.7 liter is a very good engine, only the 3.9 are alcoholic and slow.

hondahaulic
05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Ive got a 98 durango with the 5.7 v8 and auto. My parents bought it brand new, and its now well over 260,000 miles with a lot of rough miles and pulling trailers. Its had very minimal problems for that many miles. New ball joints, distributer cap, and a wheel bearing are the only things I can recall. Never had any troubles with the engine or transmission. The power steering just started leaking, but for now i'm just adding more when it needs it. So i wouldn't be too worried about the miles on yours, these things can take a lot.

factoryX
05-21-2009, 12:25 AM
psh, under powered boat.. A ford ranger 2wd is even a better choice. I'd stick with your truck.

timex69
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM
I went to test drive the dakota n the dakota owner took my durango. It seemed like a typical quarter ton. WAY underpowered....even winding it through the gears it didnt accelerate at all. said i was not interested

timex69
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Good news, Im staying away from the underpowered dakota and was looking at an 02 Ford F150 Lariat Crew cab. It was in a fender bender (was hit on the left front. Anyway its all fixed now. It has 80 000 miles on it and 4x4 on the switch not the floor) It has a 5.4 engine with a auto tranny. Only downside is the boxliner was cut for a 5th wheel hitch and the guy removed the hitch but left the liner cut (kinda hoped he would atleast remove the rest of the liner). Ill post some pics when I go pickup the truck.